Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That damn press release was incredibly vague IMHO

Chairman of the Board

That damn press release was incredibly vague IMHO

Raiders predictably vague on Cable - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

“We’ve never made any statements that the head coach would not be back. That has been media speculation from the beginning. We’ve consistently stated that we’re going through an evaluation process to determine the direction that the organization needs to go. The process is ongoing, and it has not reached a conclusion.”
    Read it carefully.
    You get at first glance the inevitable conclusion that Herrera is stating that Al Davis is still trying to decide whether Tom Cable would return.

Read it another way.
    Tom Cable is returning and we've never said anything else. At the moment Al Davis and Tom Cable are deciding a course of action for the 2010 season.

Read it yet another way.
    We have a lot of decisions to make in a number of areas of the organisation. These decisions are ongoing and will not be resolved quickly.

Okay, so if Cable is fired at a later date then Herrera can say the final evaluation lead him (Davis) to believe it was best to replace Cable. If Cable stays they say that Davis never had any intentions other than having Cable return in 2010. The evaluations were about the needs of the team in terms of the coaching staff, playing staff and the direction they needed to go in the draft and free agency.

Vague.
    I think that Cable is 99.9% certain to return. The longer this goes on the more I get the impression that when Al Davis made discrete enquiries about Trestman or Harbaugh joining he was politely rebuffed. At that stage he thought, okay, what needs doing in order to proceed? What coaches need replacing? At that stage he started looking around, obviously with the intention of bringing in an OC.

At the same time, I'm still highly disappointed. The playing staff were behind Cable (as far as we know, even if Louisville has questioned that!), but what conclusions will they draw from this silly game Davis has played? Will they remain fully behind Cable if they think, "Huh, huh, borrowed time!"? What about free agents?

Something stinks in Oakland.
    Has done for a long time.
    This is just another symptom of the dysfunction surrounding the organisation.
    I was becoming guardedly optimistic about the chances of improvement in 2010, but now I cannot escape the nagging feeling we'll see more of the same.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    The press release imo is deliberately vague for legal purposes. The Raiders probably have been contacting numerous coaches about the Head Coaching position. If that is indeed the case, there could potentially be legal troubles in terms of advertising a job that is currently held. Hence, why I believe the Raiders have attempted to do this thru the back channels as discreetly as possible.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    Raiders predictably vague on Cable - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Read it carefully.
    You get at first glance the inevitable conclusion that Herrera is stating that Al Davis is still trying to decide whether Tom Cable would return.

Read it another way.
    Tom Cable is returning and we've never said anything else. At the moment Al Davis and Tom Cable are deciding a course of action for the 2010 season.

Read it yet another way.
    We have a lot of decisions to make in a number of areas of the organisation. These decisions are ongoing and will not be resolved quickly.

Okay, so if Cable is fired at a later date then Herrera can say the final evaluation lead him (Davis) to believe it was best to replace Cable. If Cable stays they say that Davis never had any intentions other than having Cable return in 2010. The evaluations were about the needs of the team in terms of the coaching staff, playing staff and the direction they needed to go in the draft and free agency.

Vague.
    I think that Cable is 99.9% certain to return. The longer this goes on the more I get the impression that when Al Davis made discrete enquiries about Trestman or Harbaugh joining he was politely rebuffed. At that stage he thought, okay, what needs doing in order to proceed? What coaches need replacing? At that stage he started looking around, obviously with the intention of bringing in an OC.

At the same time, I'm still highly disappointed. The playing staff were behind Cable (as far as we know, even if Louisville has questioned that!), but what conclusions will they draw from this silly game Davis has played? Will they remain fully behind Cable if they think, "Huh, huh, borrowed time!"? What about free agents?

Something stinks in Oakland.
    Has done for a long time.
    This is just another symptom of the dysfunction surrounding the organisation.
    I was becoming guardedly optimistic about the chances of improvement in 2010, but now I cannot escape the nagging feeling we'll see more of the same.
    Excellent analysis. Could not agree anymore. It is becoming business as usual at 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway Alameda Ca 94501.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

ukraider12 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    I suppose we could look at this a different way ? The only CONFIRMED interview that the has been conducted was for the position of OC. EVERY other rumour that the press has put out is just a rumour supplied by unamed "sources"

The other candidates for the HC position have ALL denied any contact with the Raiders, yet people find it easier to believe all these "unamed sources"

Everytime a new thread is started about one of these rumours there are a glut of posts that seem to believe every word of these rumours as if they are stone cold fact. They are not. 99% of the time these threads then develop into yet ANOTHER bash Al session. There are people on here who have posted the same thing hundreds of times. (we get the message already !)

Al Davis IS the owner of the Raiders, he can run it any way he wants to. I don't agree with his running of the franchise but there is not a damn thing I (or anybody else) can do about it. (and yes I do go to games - about 2 a year and it is a 14000 mile round trip for me, and I will continue to go to games, I am a Raider fan and have been since 1980)

Maybe Al was never going to fire Tom Cable and always intended to keep him on for 2010 and they agreed together that an OC was needed. The OC interview took place AFTER the Cable/Davis meeting.

It has been the press that have whipped up the whole Cable getting fired stories, the problem is most people seem to believe everything these people write. The press should be there to report NEWS and write articles, it seems that they have reverted to hysteria mongering !.

I am glad Tom Cable is back for another year, it will finally give some stability to the whole organisation (something that a lot of people have wanted for a while) and it was Cable who took the decision to Bench Jamarcus (He himself said that Al Davis said "Your the coach make the call") I know that doesn't fit very well with the anti Al brigade, but it came from Cables mouth NOT an "unamed source"

The supporting cast around Cable seems to getting some much needed upgrades, which is good, Cable doesn't seem to be Russell's biggest fan, which is good. So their are some positives to look at.

I hope this doesn't develop into another "everything is Al's fault thread" a lot of the problems ARE his fault but we really don't need reminding of it every two minutes with multiple posts all saying the same thing.

Hall of Famer
    I completely agree with this. Look at it, the Raider franchise never released an official statement on if they'll keep him or not. Herrera states that it's still ongoing and the process is not complete. Wait for word from the Raiders themselves first before anything else.

Herrera is just saying as it is, I really don't see what the fuss is all about. For the record I do believe he's staying.

KensaiKatai is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    the internet = where speculation becomes fact.

FanInIraq is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DUCKanay View Post
    I completely agree with this. Look at it, the Raider franchise never released an official statement on if they'll keep him or not. Herrera states that it's still ongoing and the process is not complete. Wait for word from the Raiders themselves first before anything else.

Herrera is just saying as it is, I really don't see what the fuss is all about. For the record I do believe he's staying.
    And that would be a first for that scumbag

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board

silver & black is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    Yep. I'm just waiting for the next 4-5 win season to be over with. This franchise is a car stuck in second gear, with a fried clutch... no use worrying about anything untill there is a change of the driver.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Yep. I'm just waiting for the next 4-5 win season to be over with. This franchise is a car stuck in second gear, with a fried clutch... no use worrying about anything untill there is a change of the driver.

RaiderInNY is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy316 View Post
    The press release imo is deliberately vague for legal purposes.
    'nough said.

AutumnWind32 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by LKNRaiderFan View Post

How was S&B's post crying or whining? It was more resignation to the inevitable than anything.

silver & black is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LKNRaiderFan View Post
    No crying going here... just recognizing the reality of the situation. Feel free to post any sarcasm toward me wish... I really don't care.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Yeah ... the press release itself is vague, ambiguous and doesn't say much. But, if you consider the timng it is downright odd and bizzare.

Fundamentally, the "organization" goes out of it's way to be secretive and non-responsive to the media.

For weeks there has been all kinds of media speculation and reports that claim to know Cable is gone.

However, when Shefter (a well known reporter/rumor mongerer), as well as other reporters, issue a statement that says they have information that Cable will return in 2010, this "secretive" and non-responsive "organization" issues a release that essentially says:

We never said Cable was gone ... or that he is staying. We are still thinking about it.
    In and of itself the press release says nothing ... considered in context, it might. More odd and bizzare stuff from 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway Alameda Ca 94501.

TCRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by KensaiKatai View Post
    the internet = where speculation becomes fact.
    ....so true..lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information