Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading between the lines, I'm with David White.

Chairman of the Board

Reading between the lines, I'm with David White.

The Raiders announced the hiring of defensive line coach Mike Waufle in a press release. In it are possible hints Raiders coach Tom Cable will be back a second season.
    SFGate: Raiders Silver and Black Blog : Clues between the lines?

The press statement:
    The Oakland Raiders are pleased to announce that Mike Waufle will rejoin the Raiders as the Defensive Line Coach. Mike has an outstanding record of success as a defensive line coach and has participated in Super Bowls with the Raiders and Giants. New York’s Super Bowl victory over New England featured dominating defensive line play. Mike is thrilled with the opportunity to rejoin the Raiders. He and Coach Cable spent six years together at the University of California where they enjoyed working together.
    Raiders make Waufle hiring official - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

I think Al Davis will not go as far as flat out naming Cable the Head Coach for 2010, but this is one of the first times they've actually called him Coach Cable since the end of the season, leading me to believe thats the way it is heading.

It is a definite change in the wording from:
    Raiders senior executive John Herrera, however, said the Raiders have conducted no outside interviews for job of head coach.

“I would vociferously deny that any head coaching interviews are taking place while (Davis) is still meeting with Tom Cable,” Herrera said.
    Raiders adamant Jackson is O-coordinator candidate - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

And yes, one is a proper press statement, whilst the other is a briefing with the press, but reading them carefully you see that the latter hints of Al Davis still making his mind up. It does not call Cable coach, instead...

Well, you get the drift.
    I also do not think we'll see a press statement for quite a while, if at all.
    My mind keeps drifting back to this from Jerry Mac:
    It’s entire possible Davis knows exactly what he’s going to do and Cable knows as well but he hasn’t felt the need to tell anyone.

In theory, if Cable is staying, there’s no reason to announce anything until a press release is produced or a spokesman says, “He’s under contract and we never considered firing him. It’s all media speculation,” as they did following Lane Kiffin’s failed attempt to fire Rob Ryan.
    Still on Al standard time - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

And that fellow Raiderfans is what I think we will see happen.

Chairman of the Board
    And I'll add this from an updated Steve Corkran article:

Cable remains in the Raiders plans for the foreseeable future, and Davis intends to keep meeting with him to see how he fits for the 2010 season, senior executive John Herrera said. Davis and Cable still have plenty to discuss before Davis decides how to proceed, Herrera added.
    Al Davis plans to keep meeting with Cable - Inside Bay Area

It really does look like we'll see something along the lines of:

It was all media speculation. The Raiders did not interview anyone for the role of Head Coach because that is Tom Cable's job. Mr.Davis and Tom have been putting together a plan for 2010 since the season ended. They had a lot to discuss.

Chairman of the Board
    Although:

Tom Cable's status as the Oakland Raiders' head coach remains in limbo almost three weeks after the team finished its season.

Cable has been talking with Raiders owner Al Davis about his job since the season ended Jan. 3.

"It's still a fluid deal," Raiders senior executive John Herrera said Friday. "The assumption is they will continue to meet on the agenda in front of us until it comes to a resolution."

Cable's status with Raiders still up in the air; Davis talks to coaches

FlyBono24 is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    I still think he's sending out "feelers" to see if top prospects like Harbaugh or Gruden would be interested in the job.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    They mention how Waufle has ties to Cable. However, at the same time, Waufle has ties to both Harbaugh and Trestman from when they were working under Callahan in Oakland.

If Cable is to stay, we will get a generic statement about how it was all media speculation. Until the Raiders make a decision on the Head Coaching position, we have to still remember that Tom Cable is still under contract. He is still currently the Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders. Hence the Raiders organization has to remain behind Cable for now.

So I'm expecting the Raiders to stick behind Tom Cable until and if they decide to go in another direction in terms of the Head Coaching position.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

HBD
    Hall of Famer
    WHY would the Raiders have to "announce" Cable as Coach ?
    THEY never said otherwise...
    ALL the talk about him being fired came from speculators, hersay, rumor mongers and haters trying to predict what was standard operating procedure in Oakland.

F them all.
    ################################################## ####################################

• Get yer bets in Early boys ... the Odds will never again, be this high.

RaiderInNY is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    I said it some time ago:
    I’m assuming the talks can be about one thing, and one thing only…

Davis setting up parameters for Cable’s return.
    Rest of article:
    Why are the Raiders taking their time with Tom Cable? | Silver and Black Report

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Cable is Al's bych that's why he got the job in the first place. If Al tells him to stand in the corner that's what he will do. If Al can con some vet HC to come here Cable will put his tail between his legs and go back to coaching the OL. Cable is just the latest puppet, nothing more and nothing less.

All-Pro
    Let's just hope he won't be fired after 3 games in 2010...

nsraiderfan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    why would anyone assume anything is planned in Oakland...Al has been asleep at the wheel for a long time.

ismail86 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    The Raiders have already proven that they can win with Bruce under center. Which means that they can be respectful under Cable. I truly believe that all of this Cable nonsense was purely speculation from the media. They've probably been meeting to discuss OC's and other assistants. I know it doesn't typically work like this in Raiderland but this has been the best season that the Raiders have had since the superbowl loss. Let's just sit back and watch and see what unfolds.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    Cable is Al's bych that's why he got the job in the first place. If Al tells him to stand in the corner that's what he will do. If Al can con some vet HC to come here Cable will put his tail between his legs and go back to coaching the OL. Cable is just the latest puppet, nothing more and nothing less.
    yep......and Al loves to call coaching candidates and pick their brains and then just take the ideas...allegedly that's what happened with gilbride last year...I guess all GMs do it....

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Cable will be the HC next year from what I hear. The staff is being retooled.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer
    I don't know if I have a good feeling about Cable returning. It could mean that the strings are strung tight as a condition of his return and he will not be able to do the things he feels are best for the team ( like starting the best qb for example, blitzing, etc). If we go back to a one dimensional defense and have to start Jamarcus even when he's struggling I am going to vomit

XZ.
    XZ. is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ismail86 View Post
    The Raiders have already proven that they can win with Bruce under center. Which means that they can be respectful under Cable. I truly believe that all of this Cable nonsense was purely speculation from the media. They've probably been meeting to discuss OC's and other assistants. I know it doesn't typically work like this in Raiderland but this has been the best season that the Raiders have had since the superbowl loss. Let's just sit back and watch and see what unfolds.
    Yep,the record was the same..but this is the best our team has been since the SB. Callahan,Turner,Shell all those guys never had wins like we did this year, and the players never reallly played this hard for them either.

Hopefully Al has noticed that and is planning a plan for Cable that does give him SOME freedom.

Although I doubt that, considering Al himself has said his Coaches get a "One year grace period to do what they want to suceed."

Which could result in...vanilla defense, and JR on offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information