Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gruden open to coming back to the Raiders and Bruce Allen would follow ....

Rudimus is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Doesn't hurt to hope.

Espo7889 is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Russell can't grasp a dumbed down version of TOM CABLE'S Playbook, how is he going to get Gruden's? Hell, how does anyone get Gruden's?

slyder is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by throwback420 View Post
    update w/ podcast: Tim Ryan on Gary Radnich show: "Gruden open to a return to Oakland"

Tim Ryan, FoxSports Analyst who is doing the Raider vs Eagle game this weekend was just on Gary Radnich Show on KNBR was talking Raider Football and had some interesting points. Being personally close to Jon Gruden he had good points:

- Gruden will coach again and has the "coaching itch" and wants get back to it

- Knowing Gruden personally, as long as Tim Ryan has know Jon he has never heard Gruden say anything negative about Mr. Davis both "on and off the record"

- Gruden open to coming back to Oakland

- Bruce Allen would follow Gruden Back to Oakland

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In a much-overlooked radio interview, FOX-TV analyst Tim Ryan told a Bay Area radio station that former Raiders coach Jon Gruden and former Raiders senior assistant Bruce Allen are open to returning for a second stint.

Ryan made it clear that he wasn’t told as much by either Gruden or Allen but that he is confident that both would accept an overture from managing general partner Al Davis to come back to the place where they enjoyed raging success from 1999-2002 — Gruden left after the 2001 season, Allen soon thereafter.

Here is the entire interview, courtesy of KNBR radio in San Francisco: update w/ podcast: Tim Ryan on Gary Radnich show: "Gruden open to a return toOakland" - Silver And Black Pride
    Chuckie.... Chuckie.... The Black Hole Calleth and they calleth for thee!!! Chuckie...

Seriously though, if Chuckie came back I think wed see a MASSIVE overhaul of personel. Could you imagine what Chuckie Would do to Jamarcus first day he showed up late... .

Honestly though we need someone who would hold the whole f'n teams feet to the fire. From Jamarcus to the freaking waterboy I dont care the whole atmosphere must change. Chuckie would do just that.

Would open up a lot of avenues, I believe. Free Agents would take us seriously again.

Hall of Famer
    Take (1) clump of snowy ice. Commonly refered to as a snowball. Take that snowball to a place with intense heat similar to Hell. Now I ask you how much chance does that snowball have in that hellish environment? That's right! About as much chance as Al Davis coming to his senses and doing something that benefits this football organization. Don't hold your breath people.
    Last edited by SoCalR8r; 10-28-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo7889 View Post
    Russell can't grasp a dumbed down version of TOM CABLE'S Playbook, how is he going to get Gruden's? Hell, how does anyone get Gruden's?
    Gruden will lock him in a room and tell him no food until he memorizes it. JR will learn it quick with the proper motivation . If (Big IF I know) he did pick it up it would give Gruden one thing he never really had with Gannon and thats potential to really attack deep and keep defenses off the underneath stuff.

Veteran
    double post my bad.

RaidamanI is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    hmm, wasn't this posted a couple of weeks ago or is this a separate incident? i would love to see this but here are a couple of reasons i think it won't happen.
    -If Al hires Gruden, He would probably have to get rid of Jamarcus. I don't see Russell being a Gruden type Qb.
    -If Al hires Gruden and decides to stick with Russell, that is a whole other system that Russell will have to learn.

All I know is Gruden would bring some fire back to this team but then again, wasn't art shell suppose to do that his second time around?

Do I see no hope?....nah...go raiders!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    If Cable stays on two wins or gets 3-4 on the year, then I could see this as something that could've steam, but right now Al isn't about to fire a coach in Cable in season and pay him the rest of his salary.

IMO, this needs to be posted after the season and then the real speculating could begin, that is of course considering Cable's record.
    Does anyone here still believe this is Cables fault??? Dudes, Cable may or not be a great coach and that would only be determined if he had any say on any matters,lol. The sickness starts at the top.......the folks that are worshipping Gruden is fine, but Gruden was only able to convince AD of a few things and had some success. I`m not convinced Gruden is the best coach in the world. I know and have talked to a player that was coached by Cable in college, and is now still in the NFL and he told me awhile back, "Cable is a players coach, players will rally with him."
    with the current ownership, I just can`t get optimistic about any coach or drafts or any changes we get....
    Ted Nugent being interviewed by a British journalist.
    The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, `Are you my friend?` or is it `Are you the one who killed my brother?'"

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French in that way."

Chairman of the Board
    What's missing of course, is that "overture from managing general partner Al Davis to come back" .

Probably the mitigating factor in this presentation. Somebody needs to let ol' man Tootles know, otherwise ... .

Oh well.

"Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by XRamfan View Post
    Does anyone here still believe this is Cables fault??? Dudes, Cable may or not be a great coach and that would only be determined if he had any say on any matters,lol. The sickness starts at the top.......the folks that are worshipping Gruden is fine, but Gruden was only able to convince AD of a few things and had some success. I`m not convinced Gruden is the best coach in the world. I know and have talked to a player that was coached by Cable in college, and is now still in the NFL and he told me awhile back, "Cable is a players coach, players will rally with him."
    with the current ownership, I just can`t get optimistic about any coach or drafts or any changes we get....
    He has no discipline in regards to the players and is always having to say that through the media that the players aren't doing what they're suppose to do in regards to getting rest before games.

Article just today..........

Cable hopes to prod a better effort - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

– Cable went to his farm roots for an analogy about playing with the kind of electricty the Raiders showed in Week 1 and again later against Philadelphia.

“You look at the first San Diego game all the way up to the last 2 1/2 minutes,” Cable said. “You look at the last drive on both offense and defense at Kansas City, you look at really the entire game in Philadelphia, and if you set that film aside and look at it, there’s a much different . . . electricity . . . If you look at the other four games you see a different team. As I told them, ‘it doesn’t look like you have a cattle prod up your rear.’ ”

The answer?

“To me, that’s making sure that we’re doing it right,” Cable said. “Eating, sleeping right, taking care of our bodies, doing all those things. We’ve had good effort on Sundays. But there’s a difference in having good effort and playing with the electricity you talked about.”

An inference that perhaps a few players have been staying out a little late and eating a little too much, perhaps?

Players don't rally around Cable, they WALK ON HIM.

Hall of Famer

Red face

I'd say get Gruden and keep Cable as O-line coach. But idk how'd he feel going from HC to O-line coach tho..but I'd love to see Gruden back.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    He has no discipline in regards to the players and is always having to say that through the media that the players aren't doing what they're suppose to do in regards to getting rest before games.

Article just today..........

Cable hopes to prod a better effort - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

– Cable went to his farm roots for an analogy about playing with the kind of electricty the Raiders showed in Week 1 and again later against Philadelphia.

“You look at the first San Diego game all the way up to the last 2 1/2 minutes,” Cable said. “You look at the last drive on both offense and defense at Kansas City, you look at really the entire game in Philadelphia, and if you set that film aside and look at it, there’s a much different . . . electricity . . . If you look at the other four games you see a different team. As I told them, ‘it doesn’t look like you have a cattle prod up your rear.’ ”

The answer?

“To me, that’s making sure that we’re doing it right,” Cable said. “Eating, sleeping right, taking care of our bodies, doing all those things. We’ve had good effort on Sundays. But there’s a difference in having good effort and playing with the electricity you talked about.”

An inference that perhaps a few players have been staying out a little late and eating a little too much, perhaps?

Players don't rally around Cable, they WALK ON HIM.
    I agree with you......this team now isn`t coached well as seen with the lack of drive, discipline, etc....
    I still go back to: If the coach and (ahem, GM) are not on the same page, who has the power? Cable wouldn`t be the first Raider coach to be completely handcuffed by AD.....and the players KNOW this. The old puritan work ethic doesn`t apply anymore in professional sports (or much anywhere else in todays society...we got Obama now for Christ sake)...but I digress.
    I`m positive Cable, like others is completely handcuffed by AD......AD is the coach and Cable is a puppet. Please, and I beg you, please prove me wrong......but the last several years can`t help any argument. I do listen, with sadness to retired Raiders that explain and justify what I`m saying.
    Ted Nugent being interviewed by a British journalist.
    The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, `Are you my friend?` or is it `Are you the one who killed my brother?'"

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French in that way."

pigspigs76 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I have nothing but the highest respect for Gruden as a person and a coach.... I think he is one of the few coaches out there that can succeed in the Raiders franchise.

If he does come it better be on terms that prevent old Al from f*cking **** up.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I love it ...

Now I ask you how much chance does that snowball have in that hellish environment?

Hall of Famer

My Take

Gruden already has a tv contract to fulfill and won't speak to Al until the end of the season. Chuckie has been a welcome sight on MNF. Considering the likes of Tony Cornholer. I couldn't stand watching MNF last year.

Anyhow, Gruden is a very intelligent man with HIGH MORAL FIBER and will not give in to Al's controlling quirks. I believe if he ever shows up for a meeting with Al, and Al tells him the former first rounder is his quarterback, that J.G. will ask to speak with JaMarcus before any further conferences. After that meeting with Russell, Gruden will go tell the old man to get stuffed, he doesn't work with the mentally challenged. Just like I believe Kiffin did.

Cable, who grew up as a raider fan himself, relishes his job so much that he allows Al to tell him exactly what to do. Hey, people have done worse for less money.

My opinion is that if you don't have integrity as a coach to stand up for what you believe and for your style & philosophy, then move on and find something else to do. You're not welcome. Tell the old man to sit in his box and shut the 'F' up.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information