Thread: SIAP: G. Russell: 'Talent doesn't win games'

dtbat is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

SIAP: G. Russell: 'Talent doesn't win games'

I found Gary Russell's comments regarding our talent level interesting and I believe that he's right:

Coach Tom Cable came to me because I was in Pittsburgh and we won a Super Bowl …so he came to me asking me what’s the difference between here (Oakland) and Pittsburgh and I was like ‘man y’all got a lot more talent than we had in Pittsburgh, but talent doesn’t win games,’ ” Russell said. “And we started breaking it down and I told him that if the guys can get in there and throw their bodies on the line every play we could have a great team.”

G. Russell: `Talent doesn’t win games’ - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

G. Russell: `Talent doesn’t win games’
    By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
    Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 at 3:48 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Fullback Gary Russell, who signed with the Raiders Oct. 7 and then played a key role in the Raiders’ 13-9 win over the Philadelphia Eagles 11 days later, told listeners on The Monty Show (Sporting News Radio) the difference between his new team and his old team has more to do with desire and aggression that ability.

“Coach Tom Cable came to me because I was in Pittsburgh and we won a Super Bowl …so he came to me asking me what’s the difference between here (Oakland) and Pittsburgh and I was like ‘man y’all got a lot more talent than we had in Pittsburgh, but talent doesn’t win games,’ ” Russell said. “And we started breaking it down and I told him that if the guys can get in there and throw their bodies on the line every play we could have a great team.”

Cable had high praise for Russell’s performance against Philadelphia, and not just because he caught five passes for 55 yards, including a 13-yard completion to convert a third-and-10 and allow the Raiders to run out the clock against the Eagles.

“Man, oh, man, he gave us a lot of explosiveness in there and knocked some guys around in there pretty good,” Cable said Monday. “He was able to seal a couple of run lanes and caught the ball well. The thing that he does well, that people don’t quite understand is, he’s a really good pass protector, and it showed up yesterday in some of their pressures.”

The Raiders waived fullback Oren O’Neal while injured (he is now on the club’s injured reserve, out for the season) and Luke Lawton was unavailable because of an ankle injury. Given Lawton’s problems holding on to the ball in the passing game, as well as Cable’s praise for Russell’s blocking, it would appear the Raiders have a new fullback.

Russell led the Raiders in rushing during the preseason with 158 yards on 28 carries but failed to make the final cut, with Darren McFadden, Justin Fargas and Michael Bush at running back and O’Neal and Lawton at fullback.

He gives the Raiders in some ways similar to Justin Griffith, a smaller fullback (5-foot-11, 215 pounds) who depends on technique and the element of surprise as a blocker while also serving as a solid receiver out of the backfield.

Russell had only caught one career pass with the Steelers and lost two yards before Sunday’s game against the Eagles.

“He’s always been able to catch the ball since he’s been here in training camp and everything,” Bush said. He can catch the ball. He’s got some nice soft hands.”

Off-day notes

– Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce was just glad he could help.

A Raiders fan growing up in the Los Angeles area, Pierce’s observations about the lifeless Raiders being “like a scrimmage” in a 44-7 beatdown at the Meadowlands were posted in the locker room in Alameda _ and may have contributed to a win over Philadelphia. Which happens to be a division rival of the Giants.

“I was surprised that my quotes became bulletin board material. You know, again, I meant no disrespect by what I said last week. It was just my opinion of how I felt the game was going. But I was shocked to see how the Raiders went out there and played a very good Eagles team who we know very well,” Pierce said on Sirius Satellite Radio Tuesday. “And, you know what, that’s how it is in the National Football League, any given Sunday any team can go out there and play well.

“They got motivated by whatever. If it was my comments, you know, I’m happy because they beat the Eagles. But, you know what, they went out there and they played well and they got a win and it’s good for the franchise.”

– During the most recent edition of “The Head Coaches” in the NFL Network, former Rams head coach and network analyst Mike Martz seemed as surprised by the Eagles by the blitz package put forth by the Raiders.

“They’re doing things on defense that I’ve never seen them do before. It’s very effective,” Martz said.

– Another rumored “fire sale,” and another season of inactivity. The Raiders or the NFL had not announced any trades involving the franchise as of the deadline at 1 p.m. (Pacific time).

nsraiderfan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbat View Post
    I found Gary Russell's comments regarding our talent level interesting and I believe that he's right:

Coach Tom Cable came to me because I was in Pittsburgh and we won a Super Bowl …so he came to me asking me what’s the difference between here (Oakland) and Pittsburgh and I was like ‘man y’all got a lot more talent than we had in Pittsburgh, but talent doesn’t win games,’ ” Russell said. “And we started breaking it down and I told him that if the guys can get in there and throw their bodies on the line every play we could have a great team.”

G. Russell: `Talent doesn’t win games’ - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

G. Russell: `Talent doesn’t win games’
    By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
    Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 at 3:48 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Fullback Gary Russell, who signed with the Raiders Oct. 7 and then played a key role in the Raiders’ 13-9 win over the Philadelphia Eagles 11 days later, told listeners on The Monty Show (Sporting News Radio) the difference between his new team and his old team has more to do with desire and aggression that ability.

“Coach Tom Cable came to me because I was in Pittsburgh and we won a Super Bowl …so he came to me asking me what’s the difference between here (Oakland) and Pittsburgh and I was like ‘man y’all got a lot more talent than we had in Pittsburgh, but talent doesn’t win games,’ ” Russell said. “And we started breaking it down and I told him that if the guys can get in there and throw their bodies on the line every play we could have a great team.”

Cable had high praise for Russell’s performance against Philadelphia, and not just because he caught five passes for 55 yards, including a 13-yard completion to convert a third-and-10 and allow the Raiders to run out the clock against the Eagles.

“Man, oh, man, he gave us a lot of explosiveness in there and knocked some guys around in there pretty good,” Cable said Monday. “He was able to seal a couple of run lanes and caught the ball well. The thing that he does well, that people don’t quite understand is, he’s a really good pass protector, and it showed up yesterday in some of their pressures.”

The Raiders waived fullback Oren O’Neal while injured (he is now on the club’s injured reserve, out for the season) and Luke Lawton was unavailable because of an ankle injury. Given Lawton’s problems holding on to the ball in the passing game, as well as Cable’s praise for Russell’s blocking, it would appear the Raiders have a new fullback.

Russell led the Raiders in rushing during the preseason with 158 yards on 28 carries but failed to make the final cut, with Darren McFadden, Justin Fargas and Michael Bush at running back and O’Neal and Lawton at fullback.

He gives the Raiders in some ways similar to Justin Griffith, a smaller fullback (5-foot-11, 215 pounds) who depends on technique and the element of surprise as a blocker while also serving as a solid receiver out of the backfield.

Russell had only caught one career pass with the Steelers and lost two yards before Sunday’s game against the Eagles.

“He’s always been able to catch the ball since he’s been here in training camp and everything,” Bush said. He can catch the ball. He’s got some nice soft hands.”

Off-day notes

– Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce was just glad he could help.

A Raiders fan growing up in the Los Angeles area, Pierce’s observations about the lifeless Raiders being “like a scrimmage” in a 44-7 beatdown at the Meadowlands were posted in the locker room in Alameda _ and may have contributed to a win over Philadelphia. Which happens to be a division rival of the Giants.

“I was surprised that my quotes became bulletin board material. You know, again, I meant no disrespect by what I said last week. It was just my opinion of how I felt the game was going. But I was shocked to see how the Raiders went out there and played a very good Eagles team who we know very well,” Pierce said on Sirius Satellite Radio Tuesday. “And, you know what, that’s how it is in the National Football League, any given Sunday any team can go out there and play well.

“They got motivated by whatever. If it was my comments, you know, I’m happy because they beat the Eagles. But, you know what, they went out there and they played well and they got a win and it’s good for the franchise.”

– During the most recent edition of “The Head Coaches” in the NFL Network, former Rams head coach and network analyst Mike Martz seemed as surprised by the Eagles by the blitz package put forth by the Raiders.

“They’re doing things on defense that I’ve never seen them do before. It’s very effective,” Martz said.

– Another rumored “fire sale,” and another season of inactivity. The Raiders or the NFL had not announced any trades involving the franchise as of the deadline at 1 p.m. (Pacific time).
    I have a sinking feeling that Al would rather loose 44-7 running the D his way then win running the D someone elses way like what happened last weekend

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by nsraiderfan View Post
    I have a sinking feeling that Al would rather loose 44-7 running the D his way then win running the D someone elses way like what happened last weekend
    ^^^This^^^
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I have said it before and I will say it again: TALENT is not everything in the NFL; not even close. Blue collar teams are the winners in this day and age.

That is why draft picks as DHB irritate me the most, instead of going for the better NFL-ready player in a position of need, we go for the "homerun" hitter (McF in 08 as well) and just try to stockpile talent, measurables and athleticism.

If players play every down at 150% with a modern scheme, we have a chance to win every game we have left. That is why I'm in favor to keep the blitz, players seem to love it and they high-fiving each other and just happy to be out there.

I'll rather have a hard worker such as Gary Russell than an infinitely talented player as Jamarcus Russell that is an underachiever.

Chairman of the Board
    We run a pussies camp up in napa, get the hell out of napa and work your ass off in camp. It makes you tough in several ways. While everyone else is working in severe hear/humidity. Napa at that time of year has too many relaxing days on top of running a relaxed camp. Then it shows in games, the desire, the drive, the shape of these guys vs other teams.

swoosh85 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    We run a pussies camp up in napa, get the hell out of napa and work your ass off in camp. It makes you tough in several ways. While everyone else is working in severe hear/humidity. Napa at that time of year has too many relaxing days on top of running a relaxed camp. Then it shows in games, the desire, the drive, the shape of these guys vs other teams.
    "Death Valley" sounds way better

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    Another example of this.....

Used to work with a guy that is friends and went to High School and played high school football (Mainland HS Linwood NJ) with an ex Raider John Stone. He used to tell him how easy it was to meet the min requirements of showing up in shape. Now John Stone was in great shape. But he said the standards for the team were a joke. Stone also played up in NE. Said everyone has to show up in real shape there.....

Wish I could remember exactly what they were (running times for a distance etc).....
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

Kakish is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanraider View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again: TALENT is not everything in the NFL; not even close. Blue collar teams are the winners in this day and age.

That is why draft picks as DHB irritate me the most, instead of going for the better NFL-ready player in a position of need, we go for the "homerun" hitter (McF in 08 as well) and just try to stockpile talent, measurables and athleticism.

If players play every down at 150% with a modern scheme, we have a chance to win every game we have left. That is why I'm in favor to keep the blitz, players seem to love it and they high-fiving each other and just happy to be out there.

I'll rather have a hard worker such as Gary Russell than an infinitely talented player as Jamarcus Russell that is an underachiever.
    good post....

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh85 View Post
    "Death Valley" sounds way better
    It does. But Sacto to Fresno, find a place. You'll have 100 degree heat to sweat your ass off on. And if you want to wear Black in hot/sunny games. Wear black at camp.

cat444 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

russell

good article, but one thing is not true, russell was not cut because we had already 3 rb in the roster(bush-fargas-dmac), in fact at the end of training camp raiders kept 4 rb , louis rankin was on the 53 man roster ,russel was a lot better than rankin and cable wanted him but al davis wanted the fastiest player rankin , another prove davis take bad decision, he always take the fastiest player but he forget a football player is not just a runner.

nsraiderfan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cat444 View Post
    good article, but one thing is not true, russell was not cut because we had already 3 rb in the roster(bush-fargas-dmac), in fact at the end of training camp raiders kept 4 rb , louis rankin was on the 53 man roster ,russel was a lot better than rankin and cable wanted him but al davis wanted the fastiest player rankin , another prove davis take bad decision, he always take the fastiest player but he forget a football player is not just a runner.
    Well we all know, 40 times win football games....just ask Al..

Thread Information