Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell, Gannon address inaccuracy

Napo is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board

Russell, Gannon address inaccuracy

Hall of Famer
    Sometimes the things it takes you longer to learn are the things you learn best......I can deal with a slow learning process, as long as the lessons are learned well and steady improvement is shown........

The Iconoclastic Raider in T-town

Tyson is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Interesting to say the least...

raderz is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Wow after reading that I think Gannon has put more time in on him then Russell himself.

Diggah is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Someone email gannon's response to Russel and quick so he can learn from it......

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    "Let me say this in terms of the coaching. He may have the premier (QB) coach in the National Football League when it comes to footwork, when it comes to preparing a quarterback in terms of the mechanics. Paul Hackett was my QB coach in Kansas City and was one of the big reasons why I was able to go on and have success in Oakland. He is a phenomenal coach. He coached Joe Montana. He's coached a lot of great players in this league. I know he's got a good coach there in Paul Hackett, his quarterbacks coach, a guy that I have the utmost respect for, and I know these are not the types of things, when I look at (Russell's) footwork, that he's coaching."
    For those saying Russell doesn't have the proper help he needs.

The Ox is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Very good article thanks for the read. I think it's no question that Russell's biggest issue is inaccuracy he's got to buckle down and make those throws. I'm behind JR 100% I hope he can make an increase in progress.

Xx_HandofGod_xX is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    I think Gannon is right, alot of his problems come from his foot mechanics. He seems to forget all together that the involvement of your lower body is where the accuracy really comes from. To criticize my own words I also think that he is trying to put more touch on the ball for these inconsistent receivers and he is not firing it the way he wants to in which case it sails a little bit. I think once we start seeing these receivers really come into their own we will also see J-marc start to have a little bit more success.

In the end how much can we really take from J-rock until we forget about him and move on. That's the real question.

Chairman of the Board
    First off you guys, read the damn article before you just give some massive pre-conceived responses.

A couple of things are obvious.
    (1) Russell actually has little confidence in his WRs at the moment. Now, we can argue all you want about hitting guys when they are open, but I'm not going to here. All I will say is that when a ball is passed 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, thus about 22 yards plus in the air it takes about half a second or so to get there. In that half second a WR is supposed to run about 5 yards. Now, if Russell is throwing to a spot where the WR is supposed to be (i.e. the placing the ball I've been talking about) then if the WR is not there it will look over-thrown, behind or in front of the guy. This comes from repetitions. Lots of them, but also from WRs running routes on a consistent basis, whether they get jacked at the LoS or not.

(2) Look at the more successful plays Russell has had. Look in particular at the passes and routes late in the game. These are mostly either WR option routes or stop routes. The ball is fired to guy that settles in the soft spot of a zone. On these passes Russell just has to gun the ball to the WR, TE or RB that is open. Find a space, let Russell find you.

(3) Russell is more confident in the shotgun. On these passes he's not thinking about footwork, routes or anything else. He's just throwing the ball. Now, some will say that it minimises the plays an offense can do, but it is also the basis of an option passing offense in the NFL and at college level. Elway threw the ball from the gun a lot. He liked doing so. It is up to the coaching staff to add runs from the formation, or like Gannon did, add checkdowns tosses to a HB. I;m sorry, but it is only the adherance to an antiquated system that stops us being a little more thoughtful and using the skills of our players better. Look at the frigging Texas Tech offense and read what Crabtree etc. say about it. It uses option routes almost entirely. The WRs are expected to find the open spaces in the zone that most teams play now.

Sorry, but again I'll return to poor schemes, out-of-date ideas and play-calling that doesn't use the skill-sets of our players.
    Until that changes, or the offensive players adapt we'll struggle.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    okay...but maybe, just maybe they..are over coaching the guy...i mean...how do you explain...him taking a big step forward...towards the end of the year last year...and now taking a big step backward...

as we all noticed..he doesn't like int...doesn't like to throw in traffic..only they guy he realy trusts..Miller he has comfort with...

for once he should step up and just let it rip...

during the chargers game he had an easy toss ( 5 yard something..) to Dmac...but he just put to mutch arm on it and air under it...affraid to miss..is my explaination...tell him just let it rip...and we'll be better..also the points he makes about wr's...remember we are playing rookies...sign Ruvell Martin now...a vet same size as Chaz..good hands...knows what to do and will come cheap..we need an extra vet wr on this team...
    Then you put a guy like Jason in the mix with them, who literally, if they wanted to go out and throw balls all day, he’ll go out with them, play catch, throw routes, work on ball handling, whatever- they are all kind of gym rats.

On our new QB with his WR's...

IowaRAIDERSFan is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    First off you guys, read the damn article before you just give some massive pre-conceived responses.

A couple of things are obvious.
    (1) Russell actually has little confidence in his WRs at the moment. Now, we can argue all you want about hitting guys when they are open, but I'm not going to here. All I will say is that when a ball is passed 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, thus about 22 yards plus in the air it takes about half a second or so to get there. In that half second a WR is supposed to run about 5 yards. Now, if Russell is throwing to a spot where the WR is supposed to be (i.e. the placing the ball I've been talking about) then if the WR is not there it will look over-thrown, behind or in front of the guy. This comes from repetitions. Lots of them, but also from WRs running routes on a consistent basis, whether they get jacked at the LoS or not.

(2) Look at the more successful plays Russell has had. Look in particular at the passes and routes late in the game. These are mostly either WR option routes or stop routes. The ball is fired to guy that settles in the soft spot of a zone. On these passes Russell just has to gun the ball to the WR, TE or RB that is open. Find a space, let Russell find you.

(3) Russell is more confident in the shotgun. On these passes he's not thinking about footwork, routes or anything else. He's just throwing the ball. Now, some will say that it minimises the plays an offense can do, but it is also the basis of an option passing offense in the NFL and at college level. Elway threw the ball from the gun a lot. He liked doing so. It is up to the coaching staff to add runs from the formation, or like Gannon did, add checkdowns tosses to a HB. I;m sorry, but it is only the adherance to an antiquated system that stops us being a little more thoughtful and using the skills of our players better. Look at the frigging Texas Tech offense and read what Crabtree etc. say about it. It uses option routes almost entirely. The WRs are expected to find the open spaces in the zone that most teams play now.

Sorry, but again I'll return to poor schemes, out-of-date ideas and play-calling that doesn't use the skill-sets of our players.
    Until that changes, or the offensive players adapt we'll struggle.

Bram, would you agree that maybe he is working so hard (mentally) to do all the things right in games (footwork, weight distribution, check downs) that until he feels the pressure of a loss coming (tail end of games) he goes with his instincts.. forgets about that stuff and lets it fly? Maybe this is the reason he looks horrible until the ends of games.....

Hall of Famer
    makes sense...bad footwork, inconsistent coaching initially, is not surveying the whole field....rookie QB stuff...needs to step it up...if gannon sees it...the QB coach sees it...and they have to keep working at it.....

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandRobbie View Post
    okay...but maybe, just maybe they..are over coaching the guy...i mean...how do you explain...him taking a big step forward...towards the end of the year last year...and now taking a big step backward...

as we all noticed..he doesn't like int...doesn't like to throw in traffic..only they guy he realy trusts..Miller he has comfort with...

for once he should step up and just let it rip...

during the chargers game he had an easy toss ( 5 yard something..) to Dmac...but he just put to mutch arm on it and air under it...affraid to miss..is my explaination...tell him just let it rip...and we'll be better..also the points he makes about wr's...remember we are playing rookies...sign Ruvell Martin now...a vet same size as Chaz..good hands...knows what to do and will come cheap..we need an extra vet wr on this team...
    I said this too....I think there's a huge possibility they are over coaching the guy....

I find it interesting that gannon brought up the things that the "jamarcus apologists" have been saying all along..the coaching carousel, young wide receivers and spoke at length about it....

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjayboogie View Post
    I said this too....I think there's a huge possibility they are over coaching the guy....

I find it interesting that gannon brought up the things that the "jamarcus apologists" have been saying all along..the coaching carousel, young wide receivers and spoke at length about it....
    Yeah but the same could be said for all the guys on the roster drafted in the last five seasons.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Trife is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    These are things some have been saying for two years so its not just the changes in coaching. Not just the WR's or the Line. Everything in the world has been blamed for Russells mistakes. He should be accountable. That will either make him better, or it'll force him to sit and put in a QB with better than a 48% career QB rating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information