Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russell, Gannon address inaccuracy

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjayboogie View Post
    I said this too....I think there's a huge possibility they are over coaching the guy....

I find it interesting that gannon brought up the things that the "jamarcus apologists" have been saying all along..the coaching carousel, young wide receivers and spoke at length about it....
    yup right-on...i remember also Cable saying something like..we need Jamarcus to just let it rip...

Also we all know what works for one guy ( Gannon) doesn't work for the other..i mean Gannon was a perfectionist..at everything ( i love you Gannon...only because we shredded the Donkeys back in the day...) But Jruss might be better of with a different coach..a more easy going guy who installs confidence in him...hey but what do i know right..i don't know what the current guy is like inperson..but it does make sense doesn't it..anyway JRuss just let it rip
    Then you put a guy like Jason in the mix with them, who literally, if they wanted to go out and throw balls all day, he’ll go out with them, play catch, throw routes, work on ball handling, whatever- they are all kind of gym rats.

On our new QB with his WR's...

Trife is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandRobbie View Post
    okay...but maybe, just maybe they..are over coaching the guy...i mean...how do you explain...him taking a big step forward...towards the end of the year last year...and now taking a big step backward...
    cause this has always been the case. he has terrible games then comes back with one or two good games (for him) then falls back again. 3 games is a streak remember. Everyone was saying how cause of the last two games he'd be a different quarterback this year. But thats not consistent enough for most of us. We want to see him have 4+ good games in a row to every 1 bad. not vice versa. thats when you get consistency.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    Yeah but the same could be said for all the guys on the roster drafted in the last five seasons.
    In fairness though the QB position is the most difficult to play. But it may also explain Cable's comments about JR's work ethic in the off-season. He may have seen this coming.

I'm no expert at the game but regardless of the reasons/excuses JR's level of play needs to improve. The team has the makings of being fairly solid with the exception of the QB. Even mediocre QB play could get the Raiders to 6-8 wins this year. I'm not sure the right decision is to let JR relearn, if that's what the problem is, for the entire year.
    "The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and 'is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [C0ckrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)]

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Radman View Post
    In fairness though the QB position is the most difficult to play. But it may also explain Cable's comments about JR's work ethic in the off-season. He may have seen this coming.

I'm no expert at the game but regardless of the reasons/excuses JR's level of play needs to improve. The team has the makings of being fairly solid with the exception of the QB. Even mediocre QB play could get the Raiders to 6-8 wins this year. I'm not sure the right decision is to let JR relearn, if that's what the problem is, for the entire year.
    True, but again if they knew Russell was a project why not sign a veteran to run the show until Russell was ready? I see way too many similarities with the way they are handling Russell and the way they handled Marinovich...

The next question then becomes why draft a QB that will be a 4 to 5 year project? When you take a player regardless of position number 1 overall that guy better be adding value to your team by season two or it was a wasted pick.

This has been a major problem for the Raiders for the better part of two decades. Drafting players in the first round that fail to be impact players.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

R8drTahoe is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I really hope that this coaching staff is allowed to stay aboard and work with Jamarcus. Hackett's been working with JR for what 7 months? I'm sure he's trying to correct these issues. Once they've worked together long enough for these things to be second nature to Jamarcus it should be VERY interesting in a VERY good way.

My guess is similar to JayBoogie's. I'd bet that Jamarcus is really trying to do what his coaches are asking him to do but is really having to think and focus on that rather than having his main focus on just playing. Given time the things taught should become ingrained so that he can focus on the game while still doing the things he is coached to do.

Reading the complete Jamarcus interview, it seems like he knows this when he said that he has a long way to go to be where he wants to be and that it'll take time.

dtbat is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I love Gannon and his work ethic, but where was his accuracy during the Superbowl--5 ints.?

Hall of Famer
    Yeah but the same could be said for all the guys on the roster drafted in the last five seasons.
    ain't that the truth..

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by R8drTahoe View Post
    I really hope that this coaching staff is allowed to stay aboard and work with Jamarcus. Hackett's been working with JR for what 7 months? I'm sure he's trying to correct these issues. Once they've worked together long enough for these things to be second nature to Jamarcus it should be VERY interesting in a VERY good way.

My guess is similar to JayBoogie's. I'd bet that Jamarcus is really trying to do what his coaches are asking him to do but is really having to think and focus on that rather than having his main focus on just playing. Given time the things taught should become ingrained so that he can focus on the game while still doing the things he is coached to do.

Reading the complete Jamarcus interview, it seems like he knows this when he said that he has a long way to go to be where he wants to be and that it'll take time.
    Well we won't hold our breath on that one!!!

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Brixity R8R is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    What amazes me is that Z. Miller never has to reach for a pass from JaMarcus, as well as Schilens before the injury (not too much anyway). That tells me that the WR's aren't where they're supposed to be. He can't be that inaccurate!!! Can he?

BlackBlood is offline Banned
    Starter
    Russell is the new Brett Farve.

We should just start playing shotgun/spread offense like Green Bay did.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Brixity R8R View Post
    What amazes me is that Z. Miller never has to reach for a pass from JaMarcus, as well as Schilens before the injury (not too much anyway). That tells me that the WR's aren't where they're supposed to be. He can't be that inaccurate!!! Can he?
    You did see the pass to McFadden in the flat on Sunday didn't you? His accuracy has been horrid... I didn't see many dropped balls that were right on target the last two games.

Bram Raider is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Brixity R8R View Post
    Thats rubbish.
    Sometimes all receivers have to reach behind them or go up for the ball.
    Miller runs more routes that I class as stop routes. He settles into a soft area of the zone.
    I'm highly frustrated at the play-calling and scheme.
    Argue all you fvcking want about him missing on the short passes, but we throw too many low percentage passes.
    At the end of last year, Russell was hitting 60% of his passes by mixing the long and the short.
    This year we keep throwing deep.

It is screwing up.
    Its not the 60s, 70s or 80s.
    Throw high percentage pasees the majority of the time and look for match-ups that allow for a deep throw.

Thing is, under my scheme Russell has one read to make on whether to audiblde to a deep pass. Under the present fvcked-up arsey schme we have he feels inclined to throw deep too much.

Bram Raider is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    You did see the pass to McFadden in the flat on Sunday didn't you? His accuracy has been horrid... I didn't see many dropped balls that were right on target the last two games.
    And watch the damn play again.
    He was tossing the ball over a rusher that had his arms up.
    It was a fvcked up play.
    The guy got loose and into Russell's face.
    Russell was on his backfoot.

Hall of Famer
    True, but again if they knew Russell was a project why not sign a veteran to run the show until Russell was ready? I see way too many similarities with the way they are handling Russell and the way they handled Marinovich...

The next question then becomes why draft a QB that will be a 4 to 5 year project? When you take a player regardless of position number 1 overall that guy better be adding value to your team by season two or it was a wasted pick.

This has been a major problem for the Raiders for the better part of two decades. Drafting players in the first round that fail to be impact players.
    I don't disagree with you there. Maybe if we had not changed coaches JR would have progressed more but who knows. Rivers sat behind Brees for a couple of years and that didn't seem to hurt him. Russell prob could have benefited from the same arrangement. It's on the coaches now to find a way to get him to be more productive.
    "The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and 'is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [C0ckrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)]

FanInIraq is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    And watch the damn play again.
    He was tossing the ball over a rusher that had his arms up.
    It was a fvcked up play.
    The guy got loose and into Russell's face.
    Russell was on his backfoot.
    Russell is almost always on his back foot. It is a ****ing lob pass, you dont have to sail those. It is like the 1st thing a qb learns to do, and that isnt the 1st time he has missed those passes in the flats.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information