Thread: Offense Get a Passing Grade - Jerry McDonald

Hall of Famer

Offense Get a Passing Grade - Jerry McDonald

Offense gets a passing grade - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McDonald
    News and notes from Wednesday’s Raiders practice:

– The Raiders had their longest practice of training camp, which coach Tom Cable says was the plan all along.

It would be hard to blame him for keeping things going just so he could keep watching a passing offense that looked to be putting things together.

Keeping things in perspective, the Raiders had their first units playing against scout teams again as they game plan for the New Orleans Saints.

So they should look good.

But that hasn’t stopped them from having desultory passing sessions for the better part of the last three years regardless of their practice opposition.

During the team and seven-on-seven sessions included in a two-and-a-half hour practice, that changed. Instead of seeing balls strike the ground with alarming frequency, receivers ran crisp routes and caught passes just as they were coming out of breaks.

JaMarcus Russell was extremely accurate, Jeff Garcia had his moments and Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye occasionally got into the act.

Instead of a parade of checkdowns and block-and-release throws to tight ends, virtually every wide receiver got into the act.

Darrius Heyward-Bey may have had his best training camp practice. Yes, he had a drop, but he also had what may have been his best catch _ a play in which he came to a stop, reached back to catch a Frye pass that went behind him, and somehow caught it while falling to the ground.

“Right after he caught it, I said to him, ‘Your mistake is you showed me you can do that and so now the expectation goes up,’ ” Cable said. “But he had a great day catching the ball. You all saw that. That catch right there would be difficult for anybody.”

Heyward-Bey shrugged his shoulders, called the catch “normal,” and said it was all in a day’s work.

“It’s a catch that needed to be made,” Heyward-Bey said. “I was working for the scout team, just went out there, ran a play, caught it.”

Tight end Zach Miller, who a week before said he was hoping for a “legit” offense, was appling adjectives to the potential of the passing game which seemed laughable after a practice meltdown against San Francisco.

“As soon as our offense gets that rhythm and our quarterbacks are on time with the receivers and anticipating them coming out of their breaks, our passing game is unstoppable,” Miller said. “It’s all about timing, rhythm and quarterbacks having trust in their receivers that they’re going to be in there break at a certain yardage, coming out at the right time.

“As soon as they’re feeling them and they’re letting the ball loose on time, you can’t defend it.

Cable called for a repeat performance Thursday morning, the Raiders’ last practice in Napa.

“We’re getting there. We’re getting closer,” Cable said. “I want to see us come out in the morning and do the same thing and build some consistency. When we’ve had a good practice or two, we’ve kind of tailed a little bit, so I’d like to just see us keep it at a high level. But it’s getting there.”

Said Johnnie Lee Higgins: “If we don’t do it again tomorrow, we wasted our time.”

– Cable said he was pleased with the session all the way up to the end, which was out of view of the media.

“Loved all three phases until the last period,” Cable said. “It was a long practice and I wanted to push them a little at the end.”

Sounds great, but Higgins said it best: "If we don’t do it again tomorrow, we wasted our time."

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Offense Get a Passing Grade - Jerry McDonald
    Great report. That's the type of training camp sessions that good passing teams consistently have! I am stoked to hear about it and hope the Raiders are able to string together consecutive good practices and carry it over into regular season. I know there will be ups and downs but it sounds like yesterday's effort may have been the session that got them over the hump.

IMHO the passing game has to improve considerably this year in order for the team to sniff .500 football. It's great to hear that Russell and the receivers are stepping it up. If they are able to pull it all together consistently then I feel this team will be extremely dangerous.

Brixity R8R is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    ..."JaMarcus was extremely accurate.'' That's what I want to hear!

iceberg09 is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    Excited to hear the same. That's why I never got too down when I heard that the ball was hitting the ground a lot in OTA's. People don't realize: the passing game, especially with a still-developing QB AND WR's, usually takes a while to get everything in sync. Not only do the QB's, linemen & WR's need to learn some new plays, they have to learn the timing of those plays, the timing of each other, and options on each play.

I think, given the youth at the passing game positions, the Raiders will have some games where they show flashes of brilliance & some inconsistency. But I think you'll see a couple of WR's eclipse 100 yards in some games this year, and I predict J-Russ has his first 300-yard game this year.

Hall of Famer
    check out david whites twitter it sounds like the passing offense and jamarcus are doing very well this morning also. Russell 5/6 in endzone with 4 tds

possessed is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    This morning's practice Russell is 5 for 6 with 4 touchdowns thus far according to David White's twitter. Sounds like they're picking up where they left off.

Hall of Famer
    OK a good practice.........You need those too...
    I can't help but think about how bad we need Javon Walker to awake from the dead.........We miss Schillens really bad........No substitute for a big fast reciever that can use his body leverage to make catches in tight coverage....
    I'm always worried about our O-line which of course doesn't get put to the test at all practicing against our guys.

The Iconoclastic Raider in T-town

ChopCity80 is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    Well it looks like it wasnt a waste of time. I was just looking at David Whites twitter, and here is what has happened so far...

Wow. Team drill, JaMarcus puts 10-yd bullet past Zach Miller into Javon's hands in back of end zone. That's a tiny window.

JaMarcus 5 of 6 with 4 TDs in scout team red zone

Red zone defense allows 4 of 6 passing but no TDs for scout team.

DHB follows up big Wednesday with catch on a bullet going over his head in end zone.

I must say...i am pretty damn excited for this saturday !!!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidermofojeff View Post
    OK a good practice.........You need those too...
    I can't help but think about how bad we need Javon Walker to awake from the dead.........We miss Schillens really bad........No substitute for a big fast reciever that can use his body leverage to make catches in tight coverage....
    I'm always worried about our O-line which of course doesn't get put to the test at all practicing against our guys.
    Anyone that's looking at a good practice like this as a sign that we're going to be really competitive this year is a little misguided I think, for reasons you point out.

Practices like these are signs that we may be 1-2 years away. That's really the question mark to me. Are we 1-2 years away, or are we going to need to rebuild again in 2 years?

I think it's a little more realistic to view it on those terms.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I like it ... I like it ... a lot!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Mikey View Post
    Great report. That's the type of training camp sessions that good passing teams consistently have! I am stoked to hear about it and hope the Raiders are able to string together consecutive good practices and carry it over into regular season. I know there will be ups and downs but it sounds like yesterday's effort may have been the session that got them over the hump.

IMHO the passing game has to improve considerably this year in order for the team to sniff .500 football. It's great to hear that Russell and the receivers are stepping it up. If they are able to pull it all together consistently then I feel this team will be extremely dangerous.
    I agree with you! Can you imagine what a decent PASSING game will do for the all ready decent run game? The thought gives me some hope for a decent season. Now if they can fix that run "D"........
    The road to redemption has begun.....

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Anyone that's looking at a good practice like this as a sign that we're going to be really competitive this year is a little misguided I think, for reasons you point out.

Practices like these are signs that we may be 1-2 years away. That's really the question mark to me. Are we 1-2 years away, or are we going to need to rebuild again in 2 years?

I think it's a little more realistic to view it on those terms.
    Let's just see what happens ... youneverknow.

2006, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Brixity R8R View Post
    ..."JaMarcus was extremely accurate.'' That's what I want to hear!
    Hells yes!!!
    Don't let what you can't do, stop you from doing what you can do!

Hall of Famer
    We can't stop the run but hopefully we can score enough to force the opponent to pass.

Thread Information