Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1960 original helmets and uniforms

Silver Sith is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran

1960 original helmets and uniforms

Am I the only one who finds the Raiders 50th anniversary uniforms a bit lame? For this special anniversary the other AFL teams are going all out to capture the original 1960 feeling of the uniform and helmet. Wouldn’t the Raiders be so much cooler this year if for their anniversary games they wore the original black helmets with the black and white uniforms and gold numbers? It would be a rare and special treat to see them as they appeared in 1960! There are few photos of the team in these 1960-1962 uniforms and I think it would make the 50th anniversary season much more special.
    As it is we are wearing the 1963 logo with the 1970 silver numerals (not even an AFL season). I just think the original black helmets would be cooler, like the NY Jets going blue and gold for the “Titans” and the “Oilers” back in their original helmets as well as the “Dallas Texans”….. anyone else agree…..?

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    While I prefer the look of what they are doing, your are 100% correct. It should be as it was then not some mash-up based on what looks the best.

Veteran
    Here's a link to a site with galleries of some very rare pix from the AFL days:

http://www.raidershistory.com

Hall of Famer
    It would be more historical to do the black, white and gold, but TBH i like the throwbacks that they are using, especially the white jersey with silver numbers.

RaNsOm is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSpartan View Post
    While I prefer the look of what they are doing, your are 100% correct. It should be as it was then not some mash-up based on what looks the best.
    mash up? I thought the uniforms we're wearing were exactly the same ones from 1963, not different parts picked from different years

Hall of Famer
    I was thinking the same thing every other team is going with ORIGINAL helmets and uniforms......................
    "If your going through HELL, keep going"
    -Winston Churchill-

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNsOm View Post
    mash up? I thought the uniforms we're wearing were exactly the same ones from 1963, not different parts picked from different years
    We'll have the 1963 logo but the uniform that year had black numbers on the front and back of the jersey with gold numbers on the shoulder sleeves.....so it's close but the black helmets would be more special...

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sith View Post
    Here's a link to a site with galleries of some very rare pix from the AFL days:

http://www.raidershistory.com
    Are you the author of this book?

I purchased a copy awhile back and copuldn't put it down until I finshed it.

Bleeding Silver and Black for over four decades...44 years and counting !!!

"...there was one constant, one center, one captain, one Original Raider...his name was Jim Otto, his number was 00...for more than a full decade, he was the standard of excellence by which centers were judged in professional football"...

Al Davis presenting Jim Otto at his Hall of Fame induction in 1980

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sith View Post
    Am I the only one who finds the Raiders 50th anniversary uniforms a bit lame? For this special anniversary the other AFL teams are going all out to capture the original 1960 feeling of the uniform and helmet. Wouldn’t the Raiders be so much cooler this year if for their anniversary games they wore the original black helmets with the black and white uniforms and gold numbers? It would be a rare and special treat to see them as they appeared in 1960! There are few photos of the team in these 1960-1962 uniforms and I think it would make the 50th anniversary season much more special.
    As it is we are wearing the 1963 logo with the 1970 silver numerals (not even an AFL season). I just think the original black helmets would be cooler, like the NY Jets going blue and gold for the “Titans” and the “Oilers” back in their original helmets as well as the “Dallas Texans”….. anyone else agree…..?
    The Raiders weren't that good in 1960, so... er wait, they haven't been too good the last few seasons! so yeah maybe the old school unis would be cool to see how the team has come full circle! egads!
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Veteran
    according to the raider jersey timeline clock on my desk at work they switch from yellow to the silver and black in 1967 and have been rocking the same home jersey's ever since the only change in the away jerseys is they have switched back and forth from silver to black numbers a few times over the years

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfits182 View Post
    according to the raider jersey timeline clock on my desk at work they switch from yellow to the silver and black in 1967 and have been rocking the same home jersey's ever since the only change in the away jerseys is they have switched back and forth from silver to black numbers a few times over the years
    That is what I thought too.....
    WIN LOSE OR TIE..SILVER & BLACK TILL I DIE

AND YES BGRN IS STILL MY BYTCH!

http://profile.to/kita_red"

Twitter @Kita_red

Chairman of the Board
    That information is incorrect. The Raiders went to the Silver and Black uniforms in 1963...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    That information is incorrect. The Raiders went to the Silver and Black uniforms in 1963...
    Hitman is correct: the Raiders went to Black and Silver in 1963 with the white helmet shield logo, which changed to black in 1964 and since that point their helmets and uniforms have remained identical except for 1970 when they wore silver numerals on the white jerseys for road games...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    They changed in the 1963 season to Silver and Black. The helmet logo was a bit different than it is today but the jersey colors have not changed except once when the went to the White/Silver away jerseys that were deemed too hard to read on TV do they went back to Black numbers.

The Helmet Project
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer
    I think its because before silver and black was before Big AL took over... so there for why would he want to celebrate the years when he was not the owner and made the changes that he made... thus the anniversary jerseys being the colors that he changed and made a trade mark of the Oakland Raiders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information