Thread: UFA tight end Chris O'Neill of Boise State signs with Raiders

Hall of Famer

Post UFA tight end Chris O'Neill of Boise State signs with Raiders

"O'Neill gets free-agent deal from Raiders; Vikings add another running back
    Submitted by Chadd Cripe on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 12:12pm.
    By Chadd Cripe
    ccripe@idahostatesman.com

Former Boise State tight end Chris O'Neill agreed to a free-agent contract with the Oakland Raiders on Monday, he and agent Derrick Fox said.

O'Neill on Sunday had accepted a free-agent workout with the Jacksonville Jaguars — basically a tryout — but got the Raiders offer Monday.

"I'm in a little better spirits considering what was going on yesterday," O'Neill said. "... It's a huge weight off my shoulders."

O'Neill, who had been told he might be drafted by the Seattle Seahawks, didn't have a contract offer Sunday. He visited the Raiders, 49ers and Seahawks before the draft.

The Raiders didn't even talk to him Sunday, after they selected tight end Brandon Myers of Iowa with their last pick in the sixth round. But they did call Monday — making O'Neill the team's fifth tight end.

O'Neill is from nearby Moraga, Calif., and is excited about staying close to home.

"I'm going to do whatever they want me to do," O'Neill said.

•••

Boise State's Ian Johnson wasn't the only undrafted free agent to land a contract with the Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings also signed Kahlil Bell (6-foot, 219 pounds) of UCLA. Bell rushed for 397 yards and seven touchdowns last season. He rushed for 795 yards in 2007. He and Johnson likely will compete for a spot on the roster.

The Vikings, who announced their free-agent choices Monday, also grabbed two wide receivers. Nick Moore (6-4, 193) of Toledo is a much bigger target than Vinny Perretta of Boise State, who is expected to play in the slot. Moore had 78 catches for 779 yards and one touchdown last season.

•••

A blog on the Cowboys' Web site says former Bronco Orlando Scandrick likely will play a cornerback/safety hybrid position this season."

O'Neill gets free-agent deal from Raiders; Vikings add another running back | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

Sanjay Lal, our WR coach, coached O'Neil in high school at Miramonte (east bay). I'm pretty sure he is trying out for fullback and not tight end.

I played with Chris in high school at Miramonte, and really hope he finds a way to make himself valuable to Raiders, would be awesome to see a former high school team mate make the final roster.
    John Madden: How is Carr going to do on the road? How is he going to do against a Rex Ryan defense that’s going to show him everything that you can show him? He’s going to be tested a lot more than he was tested in that first quarter of the fourth preseason game… It’s going to take time. He’s going to have to see everything and experience everything. Believe me, they’re going to throw it at him.

Hall of Famer

Exclamation

Chris is 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, FB size right? 4.68-second 40-yard dash at pro day, so he would be a really fast fullback. DMC wouldn't have to wait around!
    Our other FB's, Marcel Reece is 6-3 and 240, and Oren O'Neal FB 5-11, 245

The guy has great hands, and can block. Obviously he is not going to compete with our current TE, but as a FB his blocking should be adequate, plus he can catch, a threat that should compliment him well with the other O'Neal at at FB, who doesn't have the best hands.

As a back up in 2007 he caught 11 passes for 123 yards and a touchdowns. His numbers in 2008 were bad because he got injured three weeks into the season.

Here is an article:

"O'NEILL MAKING A MOVE

Former Boise State tight end Chris O'Neill has generated significant NFL interest recently. O'Neill has visited the Seahawks, Raiders and 49ers.

"I thought it was going to be keyed down," he said of the offseason. "I've been running around more, working harder."

O'Neill (6-3, 252) drew scouts' interest when he made 10 catches and scored two touchdowns in the first four games of his senior season. He missed the rest of the regular season with a broken foot and returned for a limited role in the Poinsettia Bowl.

The NFL interest was renewed when he ran a 4.68-second 40-yard dash at pro day in March, he said.

"All I really wanted in this whole thing was to get a shot, to get my foot in the door," he said. "Boise State, we're some of the hardest-working guys out there. Put me in a helmet, let me shine and I'll show them how we do it.""

Boise State football notebook: Drew Hawkins goes from QB to WR | Sports | Idaho Statesman

A quote going into the 2008 season:

“But my role with the team is whatever they need from me,” he said. “During fall camp I’ve stepped up my blocking, my footwork and my technique, and I think it’s showing.”
    https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1568236

Here is a really short video
    Taylor Tharp 16 yard pass to Chris O'Neill. | Free Movies Videos - Watch Movies Videos Online | Veoh
    John Madden: How is Carr going to do on the road? How is he going to do against a Rex Ryan defense that’s going to show him everything that you can show him? He’s going to be tested a lot more than he was tested in that first quarter of the fourth preseason game… It’s going to take time. He’s going to have to see everything and experience everything. Believe me, they’re going to throw it at him.

Hall of Famer
    I prefer FBs who are fireplugs. We'll have to see if he can lead block.

It's be nice to have a full back that could actually catch the ball out of the back field.

But, lead blocking is the key.

Anotharaiderfan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Multiple teams carry up to 3 blocking tight ends. So why do you assume he is moving to fullback?

If he's good enough to block at fullback why not tight end?

Chairman of the Board
    I seen this signing and was wondering the low down on the guy. Sanjay Lai coached him in High school. That's good that there is some familiarity there.

I think if this guy can block well (as a TE), then he should definately have a spot on the team. The Raiders are looking right now for some blocking TE's. The fact that he can play FB (another position Oakland is looking at) and maybe some blocking TE would definately garner him a spot on the team.

Interesting addition. His key to making this team is through his ability to block both as a TE & FB.

jtagg7754 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    6'3" is too tall for FB IMO. And why do we have 5 TEs, 9 WRs...... ugh. We only have 4 DTs though. Everyone ready to get ran over again next season?

Gawdzilla is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Another TE? We already got Miller, he sure ain't going anywhere, and we drafted Myers as a blocking TE. Maybe he can make it as an FB? I dunno. Doesn't hurt to have competition I suppose!

Gawdzilla is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jtagg7754 View Post
    And why do we have 5 TEs, 9 WRs...... ugh. We only have 4 DTs though.
    My thought exactly.
    Why did we draft another WR in round 4 when we already have a 4th-rounder from last draft who we need to see in action and a 7th-rounder who played very well at the end of the season? I don't think WR was THAT huge a need; only a need insofar as we needed a good #1. Louis Murphy looks good and all, but that 4th-rounder needed to go to a different position.

Not only that, the two DEs we did draft are both undersized LB-hybrids at 250lbs. I would have spent the Murphy pick on a DT, and maybe another DE or DT in UFA instead of the other WR we signed.

Thread Information