Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If we are waiting for Haley or someone else, then what about Cable?

Chairman of the Board

If we are waiting for Haley or someone else, then what about Cable?

Sorry, but the situation is getting more and more screwed up with every passing day.
    So, we haven't announced a new Head Coach because we're waiting on Todd Haley?

Right.
    Only two problems with that:

(1) If Haley is interviewed and accepts the job of becoming the next Head Coach of the Raiders, where does that leave Tom Cable? Yeah, people on here will write that he'll accept a reduced role, but what if Todd Haley doesn't want him on the coaching staff? Does it become a sticking point in negotiations? Does Al Davis force Tom Cable upon Todd Haley? Would Todd Haley even accept if Tom Cable had to be an assistant? Let us predict that Tom Cable gets released if Todd Haley is appointed to the role. How does that look to the general NFL community. Forget the same old, same old crap about it being the Raiders. We already have an issue with attracting coaches here. If Al Davis appointed Todd Haley and told Tom Cable he wasn't wanted it would be another nail in the Raider coffin. And if you think otherwise you are deluded. So, the alternative would be keeping Cable. That will mean a divided coaching staff, just like Kiffin's with Rob Ryan. It is all so screwed up. Forget the professionalism thoughts. A few consecutive losses and players would be looking Cable's way, wondering why he isn't Head Coach. It CANNOT work.

Then there is the 2nd way:

(2) Todd Haley interviews and either (a) rejects the Raiders, though we'll say he wasn't offered the job, or (b) Al Davis decided he isn't the right man for the job. What signals does this send out to the players? Anyone who tries to say its Al Davis doing his due diligence doesn't understand how people think. It will say that Al Davis hasn't been happy to give Tom Cable the job right away, so he kept looking, hoping to find somebody better. It will give the impression that Tom Cable is the 2nd choice, not Al's ideal pick. Argue all you want, as the Raiders will try and spin it, that Al Davis realised that there wasn't anyone more capable than Tom Cable to do the job, but this will miss the point that if Al Davis truly had conducted a proper search he would have interviewed more people. Sorry, but no. It will look like Al Davis has been left without any other alternative than choosing Tom Cable. Then players will expect the post to be short-term. A few losses and people in the organisation will start questioning whether we could and should have found someone better.

It is screwed up.
    Totally screwed up.
    I don't care if you don't believe me.
    I don't care if you think I'm being too pessimistic.
    Other teams and their supporters are laughing at us.
    Crazy Al is at it again.
    And the WILL influence prospective free agents, like it or not.

If it is Tom Cable then waiting around is stupid.

Chairman of the Board
    And I'll add this thought.
    With some media types discussing Todd Haley potentially interviewing for the role, giving it Tom Cable at this stage can be better spun than ever it could after the Superbowl.

AutumnWind32 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    You sound surprised? This is business as usual. This is why we've lost 11+ games for six straight seasons. This is Al Davis.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnWind32 View Post
    You sound surprised? This is business as usual. This is why we've lost 11+ games for six straight seasons. This is Al Davis.
    Not surprised.
    Angry, but not surprised.

The Raiders are looked upon in a little enclave with the Lions and Bengals at the moment.
    Somewhere that you don't want to go.
    The have nots of the NFL.

This whole situation sums up why we are so down.
    No big name candidates interviewed (I'd like to know who we tried to contact, if anyone).
    Then this interminable wait.
    It is arse, just arse.

Al is Nero, fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Hall of Famer
    I'm not all that worried, just Al being Al. Of course, the main reason I am not worried is because I can't do sh*t about it either way. Also, don't SB coaches sometimes interview during the two weeks prior to the SB? I don't like the idea of waiting until after either, but that's our Al

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by gdamac View Post
    I'm not all that worried, just Al being Al. Of course, the main reason I am not worried is because I can't do sh*t about it either way. Also, don't SB coaches sometimes interview during the two weeks prior to the SB? I don't like the idea of waiting until after either, but that's our Al
    So, are you giving him the benefit of the doubt?
    If so, that is fine as a supporter, but not so as a free agent.

Be optimistic people.
    Free agents will want to come here and all.
    That is NOT the flipping case.
    We had to OVERPAY them last season.
    This season it will be even worse.

Either vastly overpaid or the dregs of the NFL.
    An unedifying thought for you to ponder upon.

Hall of Famer
    i just can't believe that a team like the lions who are coming off a 0-16 season have their head coach OC and DC already and are gelling as a staff as we speak...

how a team like the rams who have won 4 games in two years have their head coach (who was the most sought after candidate this offseason) DC and OC but the Raiders do not have a Head Coach but have a TE coach, DB coach and SP coach and are interviewing for a OC..

The proof is in the puttin fellas... AL Davis is the issue... if some of the worst teams in the league can get some of the best coaches and in a timely manner, and the Raiders can't even hire a head coach in a timely manner that tells you something about how the organization is being ran.

I just dont understand how someone can be this oblivious to the facts that the raiders have not had a winning season in 6 seasons... but continue to go about solving the problem in the same manner... I work with mentally ill clients... and they do this over and over... i'm not saying al is mentally ill but obviously he has some issues.

meanwhile the cardinals are going to the superbowl go figure.

Hall of Famer
    i just can't believe that a team like the lions who are coming off a 0-16 season have their head coach OC and DC already and are gelling as a staff as we speak...

how a team like the rams who have won 4 games in two years have their head coach (who was the most sought after candidate this offseason) DC and OC but the Raiders do not have a Head Coach but have a TE coach, DB coach and SP coach and are interviewing for a OC..

The proof is in the puttin fellas... AL Davis is the issue... if some of the worst teams in the league can get some of the best coaches and in a timely manner, and the Raiders can't even hire a head coach in a timely manner that tells you something about how the organization is being ran.

I just dont understand how someone can be this oblivious to the facts that the raiders have not had a winning season in 6 seasons... but continue to go about solving the problem in the same manner... I work with mentally ill clients... and they do this over and over... i'm not saying al is mentally ill but obviously he has some issues.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaiderFan View Post

So good you said it twice

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    So, are you giving him the benefit of the doubt?
    If so, that is fine as a supporter, but not so as a free agent.

Be optimistic people.
    Free agents will want to come here and all.
    That is NOT the flipping case.
    We had to OVERPAY them last season.
    This season it will be even worse.

Either vastly overpaid or the dregs of the NFL.
    An unedifying thought for you to ponder upon.
    Sorry dude, but....

If you haven't figured out Al by now.....

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISVILLE R8R View Post
    Sorry dude, but....

If you haven't figured out Al by now.....

So much for people thinking Al Davis was going to change.
    So much for him bringing in somebody to help.
    So much for my optimism at the end of the season.
    So much for my expectations that we would break this decline in fortunes next season.

Hall of Famer
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. Everything I have read, suggests that Cable is the guy and it merely hasn't been announced yet. So what? In short we HAVE a HC and Al merely has to remove the interim label. Now DC is still a huge question mark.

See
    D-coordinator candidates a mystery - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers

raiderroo is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Well maybe he is waiting to interview Haley but it still really seems to me that it will be Cable. I mean I havent even heard of Cable interviewing anywhere else for anything. He is a good OL caoch and if he wasnt sure of getting the HC gig here Im sure he would be talking to other teams about being at least on OL coach.

Now it is being reported that the Chiefs could be interested in Haley. So if he has to decide between working for Davis or Pioli I think he would go with Pioli wheere he has a chance to be in on more decisions. But hey you never know.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    So much for people thinking Al Davis was going to change.
    So much for him bringing in somebody to help.
    So much for my optimism at the end of the season.
    So much for my expectations that we would break this decline in fortunes next season.
    I see, if Al had announced that Cable as HC last week that would change everything.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by signal View Post
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. Everything I have read, suggests that Cable is the guy and it is merely hasn't been announced yet. So what? In short we HAVE a HC and Al merely has to remove the interim label. Now DC is still a huge question mark.

See
    D-coordinator candidates a mystery - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers
    I'd love to know how Al Davis is trying to sell the organisation to prospective Offensive and Defensive coordinators!

"What about the Head Coaching position? Who will I be answering to?"
    "You'll be answering to me."
    "I mean, who will I be working with on a day to day basis?"
    "You'll be working for me."
    "Sorry Mr.Davis but I'd like to know who will be the Head Coach."
    "I have a Head Coach."
    "I'm sorry to ask, but why doesn't the rest of the NFL know then?"
    "Because I'm trying him out."

Just screwed.
    Screwed.
    Screwed.
    SCREWED.