Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Raider Officials: "Expect Cable to be hired"

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by disposeablehero View Post
    Someone fails at comprehension, never once said it WAS gonna happen, just that it should have a long time ago, it os obvious to most Davis will never relinquish control. Not sure where you are gettign the idea I am thnking it is gonna happen.
    Well, you keep throwing "GM" around like Al himself is following this message board.

Also, the control that you keep talking about, what an executive oversees is what I've mentioned in my prior post, meaning that he does give up some control in how much money is given to draft picks/UFA's and who is brought in through free agency. Kind of like a Bruce Allen type of position, i'm sure you've heard of him and his work prior to taking the job in Tampa.

disposeablehero is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    Well, you keep throwing "GM" around like Al himself is following this message board.

Also, the control that you keep talking about, what an executive oversees is what I've mentioned in my prior post, meaning that he does give up some control in how much money is given to draft picks/UFA's and who is brought in through free agency. Kind of like a Bruce Allen type of position, i'm sure you've heard of him and his work prior to taking the job in Tampa.
    Dude, that has been established ages ago, sigh. That's fine and good, but it is time we get a real GM, unfrortunately, Al won't let it happen.

ADEEZ is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Sigh indeed, we NEED a GM, we are the only team without one, that is ridiculous, we need a Gm with a lot of control. He hinted at a GM, and we ened one, without one I doubt we get any better then mediocrity. When Davis and the Raiders were successful what was the one common denominator? a Gm who knew football and acted as a liason between coaches and Davis, See Ron Wolf and Bruce Allen. Without a Gm we have been pathetic.
    who's Dallas' GM? Not trying to start nothing, just too lazy to look it up.

Spottie is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Okay. Given that there are 3 rough possibilities:

a) Hire an expierienced coach with a solid resumeé to get leadership and respect to the sideline (e.g. Billick)

b) Hire a young gun with no (or very little...) experience to inject some motivation and fresh air into the Raiders (e.g. Harbaugh (or Kiffin last year...)

c) Keep Cable who belongs to Cat. C but brings stability

C is right down the middle in my estimation. It's okay. Allthough I don't think that Cable can win us 10 games in either of the next two years (Which should of course be our long-term goal)

He NEEDS X&O Nerds around him, and he needs above average ones because he is not. He is a tough person who has the respect of the players and has proven he can get their mindsets right on Sundays. Plus he has some sort of chemistry with our 70 Mio $ QB which is not the worst of things.

However, as I said before, we would need an extremly talented support cast if Cable sticks around, especially in terms of evaluating talent, he certainly has no knack for that (Kwame... and the roles of Fargas/McFadden/Bush).

16 to 88 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanInMD View Post
    This is what he said after the PC:

Link
    Thanks.

Unless EKG or someone else can come up with Al saying he was specifaclly bringing in a GM we can put this one to bed.

Al never stated he was bringing in a GM.

RaiderFanInMD is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ADEEZ View Post
    Al Davis' homie, Jerrah Jones

raiderroo is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Well this has been really interesting to read. Im just going to add my little piece for the heck of it.

I do realize that Al Davis is the GM here and he isnt going to give that up. He loves that and the control. I understand that it isnt going to change.

But still I feel that he does need to hire a real GM and take a step back and that is what would really like to happen. Im probably going to keep saying it too.

Is it going to make a difference? No and I know that. But hey this a message board for fans and one of the biggest parts of that is stating what we would like to see. So sure Al is going to change and do anything different.

While I know this it doesnt change the fact that I feel he needs to and that I want him to. So here it goes again. Al Davis needs to hire a GM and step back I really wish he would. But Im sure he is just going to bring in some one to assist in some manner but not have any real say.

Hall of Famer
    I believe its the same guy that Al Davis has mentored over the years, Jerry Jones. He pays the money and he's brought in the "disgruntled" players like Owens, Jones, etc.

Hall of Famer
    Difference is Jones is doing a good job, ours is not. Ours is incapable of doing it himself anymore.

MT Raider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudimus View Post
    Almost everyone is so high on Cable after the last 2 games. Does no one remember the ineptitude against SD, NO, NE, Miami, Carolina, Atlanta, Baltimore, Jets(yes we won but it waa ugly) and the shoulda been nail in the coffin KC. Yes I wish him the best if hired but I am weary.
    Great Post!!! Rep

I was at the Atlanta game and the team was a COMPLETE disaster in all phases of the game. Donnetel is going to be Cable's Tom Walsh. Anybody see Washington play last year. Possibly the worst team in division 1 football in the last 10 years. What a joke!!!!

Hall of Famer
    Difference is Jones is doing a good job, ours is not. Ours is incapable of doing it himself anymore.

You're actually wrong about Jerry Jones. When he was in charge the Cowboys were terrible, his best move was hiring Parcells, who should be credited with how the Cowboys have looked. He was the one that made the major roster moves and decisions. And now that he's gone, and Jones started making his own moves, look how it has worked out for them. They signed Pacman, who isn't on the team anymore. They went out and threw a lot of draft picks at the Lions to get Roy Williams, who had less than 200 yards total in the games he's played with Dallas. So to say Jerry Jones is "doing a good job" is laughable

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderroo View Post
    Well this has been really interesting to read. Im just going to add my little piece for the heck of it.

I do realize that Al Davis is the GM here and he isnt going to give that up. He loves that and the control. I understand that it isnt going to change.

But still I feel that he does need to hire a real GM and take a step back and that is what would really like to happen. Im probably going to keep saying it too.

Is it going to make a difference? No and I know that. But hey this a message board for fans and one of the biggest parts of that is stating what we would like to see. So sure Al is going to change and do anything different.

While I know this it doesnt change the fact that I feel he needs to and that I want him to. So here it goes again. Al Davis needs to hire a GM and step back I really wish he would. But Im sure he is just going to bring in some one to assist in some manner but not have any real say.
    This is a message board, but when talking about a "GENERAL MANAGER" how many people on this board actually knows what a "GENERAL MANAGER" does?

IMO, the "GENERAL MANAGER" overlooks free agency, contracts, the selection of picks, and the hiring of coaches.

From my understanding of Al Davis, he's overlooked all of those things that I've stated. The particular areas that may change in talking about this "local guy" is scouting free agency and handling the contracts of UFA's and draft picks. Why? Everyone saw what happened last year with BIG CONTRACTS and poor free agency signings.

With all of that being said, Al is still going to hire the coaches/fire the coaches and he's still going to have the FINAL SAY in the draft room about certain picks in the draft. IMO, that's all WE(as fans) could ask for right now, instead of beating the phrase "GM" down repeatedly on this board, DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by hector234 View Post
    You're actually wrong about Jerry Jones. When he was in charge the Cowboys were terrible, his best move was hiring Parcells, who should be credited with how the Cowboys have looked. He was the one that made the major roster moves and decisions. And now that he's gone, and Jones started making his own moves, look how it has worked out for them. They signed Pacman, who isn't on the team anymore. They went out and threw a lot of draft picks at the Lions to get Roy Williams, who had less than 200 yards total in the games he's played with Dallas. So to say Jerry Jones is "doing a good job" is laughable
    LOL, Cowboys have had some prtty good teams the last few years, and jones drafting has been compared to ours, as has their roster moves, they will be in playoff contention again next year. Jones is doing a splendid job compared to Davis. Walker, Kellly, Hall, Sands? ouch. Look at the draft. Not sure what one player Williams has to do with anything, noone has every move work out, thats not what this is about. Davis cannot do it himself anymore, Jones can. We are not even competitve.

ADEEZ is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Dude, that has been established ages ago, sigh. That's fine and good, but it is time we get a real GM, unfrortunately, Al won't let it happen.
    what we need more than anything are on the field VOCAL veteran leaders who can be coaches on the field... primarily some that were drafted as Raiders or at the least have a strong presence in the locker room... look at every team that its the playoffs right now and they all employ several veteran leaders on both sides of the ball.... then take a look back to our roster over the last six years and tell me how many fit that category... the last time we made the playoffs we were overrun by veteran leadership... I think to have a consistent playoff caliber team year in and year out, you have to have an even mix of young contributing players and a strong group of vocal established veterans who can help coach/lead on the field... we've gotten away from that, more specifically, Al Davis has gotten away from that... over the last six years our downfall has been:

1. we've been too young across the board...

2. didnt bring in the right kind of veterans (Brooks, Moss, Jordan, Sapp) to counter-balance poor coaching hires (Turner, Shell, Kiffin)...

3. Have made poor choices in free agent/trade acquisitions

4. Drafted poorly... ( I like the last two drafts however)\

We need someone upstairs who can help Al make better decisions... someone who Al trust and that can work with him... He'll NEVER hire a Scott Pioli or Bill Parcells type, and honestly I cant blame him for that... but he does need to find another Bruce Allen type GM who can get the job done without stepping on Al's toes...

Hall of Famer
    LOL, Cowboys have had some prtty good teams the last few years, and jones drafting has been compared to ours, as has their roster moves, they will be in playoff contention again next year. Jones is doing a splendid job compared to Davis. Walker, Kellly, Hall, Sands? ouch. Look at the draft. Not sure what one player Williams has to do with anything, noone has every move work out, thats not what this is about.
    LOL, like i said, Jones wasn't the one who put the team together. Parcells made the big drafts, Newman, Ware, Spears, Barber, Witten, and Julius Jones (who had a few good seasons in Dallas). Before Parcells got there, the Cowboys were just as bad as Oakland, i believe 3 straight 6-10 seasons is what they had. And I brought Williams and Pacman because those are moves that Jones made, which haven't worked out. Hell, Parcells didn't even want T.O., Jones made that move, and it hasn't actually been a good experience for them either. So where is your backing of "Jones is doing a good job"? You obviously don't have anything to back your statement up. Until you give me a good response, that comment is irrelevant

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information