Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Raider Officials: "Expect Cable to be hired"

OWShaddock is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by disposeablehero View Post
    Thats good and all, but i never once stated he never earned a shot, but, saying he will be great because of 2 games is ridiculous as well. Also, MANY times a coach chamge will see change immediately, the Rams this alone is a prime example. Either way, I am entitled to my feeling that Cable is Not the answer, and time will show if that feeling is right or wrong, i hope i am wrong.
    I don't see too many posts saying "Cable will be great because of two games." Rather, the consensus among the pro-Cable crowd is that he deserves the job based on how well the team was playing at season's end, particularly in light of some of the other options (i.e. Gilbride). Nobody is saying he will be great because nobody knows.
    The Rams? Yeah, they won two games immediately after Haslett was hired. Then proceeded to lose their last 10 games of the season.
    Contrast that with the Raiders under Cable, who struggled mightily initially, but went 3-3 in their final six games.

Who said I knew what was going on in peoples heads, the lackidasical play on the field and comments Aso made certainly showed an unmotivated team.
    Umm ... you said you knew what was going on in people's heads.
    Motivation is a mental state.
    You're making judgments about players' motivation, or lack thereof.
    Therefore, you are making judgments about their mental state. And to make a judgment about another's mental state, you must know their thought process. To know their thought process, you obviously must know what's going in in their heads.

Which comments from Aso are you speaking of? Link, please.

And I'm still waiting for an explanation of how a totally unmotivated team suddenly found motivation at the end of the season.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 to 88 View Post
    You missed my point.

1). Sometimes GM's are hired BEFORE an HC and other times not.

2). AGAIN, Davis NEVER stated (at least to my knowledge) he was bringing in a GM.

Regarding us needing a GM.

I don't disagree we need a GM. I believe we do.

That is all.
    He did mention it, after the lane kiffin press conference. Im to lazy to go find a link. Infact monte poole mentions it again in his most recent article.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please
    M Twain

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    M Twain

disposeablehero is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Yes, Al DID mention it regarding a GM.

16 to 88 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    There was NOT a new playbook.
    I could be wrong but I seem to remember that they did indeed bring in a new playbook during the bye week.

That's why I mentioned it as well.

Chairman of the Board
    Captain obvious in the house.
    If it's so obvious, why then do certain posters (who shall go unnamed) keep whining about the hiring of a GM?
    Seems like it's no so obvious to everyone.

RoshamBO34 is offline Banned
    All-Pro

re

There was NOT a new playbook.
    Well i saw one guy here say there was and i thought i had heard the same thing.

16 to 88 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ekgraider View Post
    He did mention it, after the lane kiffin press conference. Im to lazy to go find a link. Infact monte poole mentions it again in his most recent article.
    Interesting.

First I have heard of this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by OWShaddock View Post
    If it's so obvious, why then do certain posters (who shall go unnamed) keep whining about the hiring of a GM?
    Seems like it's no so obvious to everyone.
    Because the point is people want Al to step back and hire someone else to be GM, if you need that spelt our for you then, well, lol. Al is not able to do it by himself, at leats not well. People know full well Davis is the current GM, they want someone else, Davis needs help.

RaiderFanInMD is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ekgraider View Post
    This is what he said after the PC:

-Q: Do you think this organization have a need for any more football people?

-DAVIS: Yes, I do. Thereís one guy Iím looking at now.

-Q: A senior executive?

-DAVIS: It would be an executive role, yeah.

-Q: Would you wait until the off-season before making the move?

-DAVIS: Yeah, Iíd wait Ďtil this off-season. Yeah, Iíve talked to the person, pretty much. Itíd be unique. Heís local.

-Q: Can you give us a name?

-DAVIS: Local.
    Link

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Because the point is people want Al to step back and hire someone else to be GM, if you need that spelt our for you then, well, lol. Al is not able to do it by himself, at leats not well. People know full well Davis is the current GM, they want someone else, Davis needs help.
    He wont hire a GM, so why argue over something this stupid.

If anything, the new person in the front office will probably have the same responsibilities that Bruce Allen had when he was here, that's bringing in free agents and taking care of their contracts and draft picks contracts.

Free agency and draft pick signings has been a problem for the Raiders since B.Allen left for Tampa, but to think that coaches being picked by this "GM" is going to happen, your dreaming like the rest of Raider Nation.

If its one thing that needs to happen, its the move in bringing in a guy who handles what I've just stated.

Chairman of the Board
    Yes, Al DID mention it regarding a GM.
    No, he didn't.
    Here's the transcript:

-Q: Do you think this organization have a need for any more football people?

-DAVIS: Yes, I do. Thereís one guy Iím looking at now.

-Q: A senior executive?

-DAVIS: It would be an executive role, yeah.

-Q: Would you wait until the off-season before making the move?

-DAVIS: Yeah, Iíd wait Ďtil this off-season. Yeah, Iíve talked to the person, pretty much. Itíd be unique. Heís local.

As you can see, no mention of the words "general" or "manager." Rather, Al says he's looking to hire a football person to serve as an executive.

Al Davis, after the cameras were off: “(Kiffin) conned me like he conned all you people” | Talking Points

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    He wont hire a GM, so why argue over something this stupid.

If anything, the new person in the front office will probably have the same responsibilities that Bruce Allen had when he was here, that's bringing in free agents and taking care of their contracts and draft picks contracts.

Free agency and draft pick signings has been a problem for the Raiders since B.Allen left for Tampa, but to think that coaches being picked by this "GM" is going to happen, your dreaming like the rest of Raider Nation.

If its one thing that needs to happen, its the move in bringing in a guy who handles what I've just stated.

Someone fails at comprehension, never once said it WAS gonna happen, just that it should have a long time ago, it os obvious to most Davis will never relinquish control. Not sure where you are gettign the idea I am thnking it is gonna happen.

raiderwood is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1truraidersfan View Post
    I think AL was just blowing smoke up everyones ass when he said he was looking at a possible GM. He just doesnt want to relinquish control.
    Spot on. Plus IMO Al doesn't want to share his successes with anyone, should he pull of another Super Bowl victory. You know somewhere in his mind, he's thinking that he wants the glory and doesn't want people saying a GM saved the Raiders.

Second, I have two stances on Cable...

1) Look at the 4 wins. The Jets were flat, and ultimately they went 0-5 on the west coast, losing to SEA, SF, SD as well. Not a strong victory, and we scored only 16 pts with OT. Denver and Tampa both played like 4-12 teams when we played them. All 3 teams folded in December, and all failed to make the playoffs when it was all but guaranteed that they were in at week 12. The wins were against bad teams. Don't look at their records as an indicator of who we beat. The Houston game was an impressive win, because they were white hot at the time. The offense played well enough to win, something they hadn't done in the previous 10 games. We would've lost our final 2 games had our offense played as it had the previous 14 games. Kudos to Cable, and ultimately, a win's a win.

2) I don't know if Cable has the ability to evaluate talent in a timely manner. Case in point: the Kwame Harris move came WAY too late. You wonder if Al had something to do with that decision taking so long to be made. After every fan pleaded for him to be benched all season, Cable states "Kwame Harris is the Left Tackle of the Oakland Raiders." Sounds like an Al Davis-ism to me! Kiffin wasn't like that. He identified those who were best at their position, or those who would be better used in other positions (Gallery).

In the end, the Raiders aren't that far off. Who knows whether Cable is the answer or not? He will not bring a dynamic offense. We have to look at our big name players to make an ordinary offense extraordinary. What he will bring is continuity, something this team desperately needs. My vote is to keep him, but if we bring in somebody else, so be it.

ADEEZ is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by ejdacanay View Post
    Surround him with good coordinators, a new LT, a 2nd round WR, and a someone who can stuff the run and I expect us to do something "good" next year.
    New Left Tackle - Eugene Monroe
    2nd Round WR - Hakeem Nicks
    Run Stuffing DT - Terrence Cody (by trading back into late 1st round)

book it!

trdaddy is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    It is 10:24 in Missouri, this has already been a great day now. Bye Ryan. Hello Cable. Go Raiders!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information