Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mathieu...

raiderluv is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Mathieu...

I want the Honey Badger in the 4th... See how smooth he is in the drills... O.M.G!!! Don't care that he's short, compares to Tim Jennings, CB from Chicago, he has a lot of NFL guys rooting for him too!

Crazy Canuck is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Would be all for it but I don't think he makes it to the fourth. I think somebody falls in love and reaches for him in the third.

I gotta ask though, what was with the 4 reps on the bench?

Hall of Famer
    Living in Alabama I've seen the kid play alot. He's the real deal. No joke. I'd be surprised if he lasts past the 2nd.

heavyweight_4u is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    no thanks... he has all the tools just not the mental side.
    He would end up failing drug tests and being banned.
    foodisgood70 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    As an LSU fan, I'm so torn on him. Hes undersized, has serious character issues, and apparently never hits the weight room (As evidenced by his "championships arent won in the weight room" tweet last night). At the same time, he made by far the most plays of any LSU defender in recent history; and there have been a lot of great defensive players to come out of Death Valley. I could see him being a young DeAngelo Hall type player, but I could also see him failing a drug test in the offseason or getting arrested.

"Just win, baby."

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    all off the field issues aside...

The biggest knock on him was his cover ability. At LSU he was given free reign to act on his instincts. It worked very well. But at this level he will be required to cover and that is his weakness. I just can't spending a 3rd or 4th on a corner who has trouble covering people. No matter how fluid he is in drills.

That being said...

It is hard to ignore his instincts. He did makes huge plays all the time in college. If he somehow fell to a low rounds he would be worth the pick as a project.

Add the off field issues back in the mix...

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of using mid round picks for projects that have multiple drug offenses in college. I hop he learns from his past and turns things around before it's too late. But we need our 3rd and 4th round picks to be solid football players that can at the very least provide quality depth. I don't think Honey Badger fills that role right now. At best he is a return man that can hopefully become a solid nickle corner in a couple years.

mwdbadguy is online now Limited Membership
    Starter
    Badger is a baller, after the drills the 49ers were talking to him, if he is there in the 3rd I grab him and don't worry about one corner spot and I get a punt returner too

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    I would have to say no. Raiders need to establish an idenity for themselves first, before taking on any players with issues. Bulldoze down this losing enviroment and build it back up, where this organization has some stability and is serious about winning again, then I would take on any head cases.
    foodisgood70 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Dude wasn't playing football all year and could only put up 225 4 times?? That spells serious work ethic issues on top of the problems he's had with drugs. This is not a franchise that can handle problem children yet. No thanks.

Evil Ryu is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    wow 4 times? i can do better than that, and i don't even work out that much.

Hall of Famer
    Yeah, you guys can put up 225 more than 4 times, but you (probably) can't run as fast, do as well in position drills or have the instincts and talent to play corner in the NFL.

Who really gives a **** about bench press when it comes to corners, anyway? I mean, it's stupid in the first place, but I get it for lineman. Corners? No... talk to me when Mathieu has to put 225 up 5 times before intercepting a ball while on the field.

If he's there with our 3rd pick, then I'd take him in a heart beat. Considering corner is one of our worst positions, it would be amazing to get this type of talent there.
    raiderluv likes this.

MDR8ERFAN is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by imthedan View Post
    Yeah, you guys can put up 225 more than 4 times, but you (probably) can't run as fast, do as well in position drills or have the instincts and talent to play corner in the NFL.

Who really gives a **** about bench press when it comes to corners, anyway? I mean, it's stupid in the first place, but I get it for lineman. Corners? No... talk to me when Mathieu has to put 225 up 5 times before intercepting a ball while on the field.

If he's there with our 3rd pick, then I'd take him in a heart beat. Considering corner is one of our worst positions, it would be amazing to get this type of talent there.
    With our Dline and LBs I'm not sure we can afford to take a corner that can't tackle a RB at the second level. If I was being serious I wouldn't mind picking him as long as we don't reach to draft him.

Hall of Famer
    I want Mathiue bad, unfortunatley I dont think Reggie will pull the trigger on him. Well worth the gamble IMO if he slips to the 5th round or so

MaxxxPayne is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Mathieu...

I don't think he will be able to guard the bigger WRs in the league, he wasn't exactly a shutdown corner at LSU, he was known for blitzing and being good at the line. I don't think he has the size or strength to be a 1 or 2 CB, but he can definitely be a nickel and guard the smaller slot receivers. I would take him if he's there in the 4th, but not sooner.

DaHero75 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I think Reggie might take a shot at him if he and DA (also a former DB coach) feel he is worth the risk...

This defense is lacking playmakers and that's what this kid is...

Also solves our punt return problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information