Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Luke Joeckel Bandwagon (A fan can dream)

NoThanksSir is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Luke Joeckel Bandwagon (A fan can dream)

I don't see us picking him, but honestly I wish we did at this point. None of the pass rushers wow me, and the only other guy I would really want is Star Lotulelei. Is are defense worse? Yes. But here's my logic. This is a offensively driven league. Teams without an offensive identity and more importantly a QB are nobodies. We need to install a functioning offensive system for a young talented QB to come into. Maybe not now, but soon!

Joeckel is a great prospect. I've seen him play a bit and like what he's done. I think he benefits from Johnny Football, I like that kid he looks good. I hope he stays in college and refines his game he can be a good pro. You can never have enough good offensive linemen. Adding Joeckel maybe we can maximize Veldheer's strength on the right side of the line, get our running game going again. Use a later pick on a guard. Improve our running game and get use out of DMC or any other RB. I think the niners and seahawks are great examples of running games making defense better. Not to say our defense isn't lacking talent. We're FAR from Seattle or San Fran in terms of pure ability. I'm saying two picks on offense this year, Joeckel and a guard the rest on defense. We need to think of the future and eventually finding a franchise QB. Not hating on the year Palmer has had but we are rebuilding and you can't rebuild with a 33 yr old QB.
    TarHeelRaider likes this.

TarHeelRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I agree 100%. If we can come out of this draft with our o-line set, it'll be great for our future. Unfortunately this draft isn't loaded with obvious talent, so I definitely wouldn't mind coming away with a great tackle prospect and some new guards.

Another thing to keep in mind is Wiz and Veldeer are young, so if we can get 4/5 young o-lineman they will have a chance to really gel together.

Consistency will be the big thing however. Knapp seems done and if he's gone is the zone blocking scheme gone as well?

Hall of Famer
    Joeckel, Matthews, Lewan, Fisher...all good looking prospects.

crizpynutz likes this.

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Could be great trade bait, unless the Queefs and Jags snag him. LT are always a premium in the NFL, I'm sure teams would love to trade up for him.

Ratim is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    I also like Joeckel, but I've noticed a few mock boards putting his team-mate Matthews ahead of him.

Maybe we can trade down and lose Joeckel, pick up Matthews and then snag a DE with the extra picks gained.

If Jones (Alabama center) is available later he would be a good pick up as he can play across the line.

This could give us a starting line of Matthews, Wiz/Jones, Wiz/Jones, Briesel, Veldheer and Bergstrom the main back up.

OTF
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratim View Post
    I also like Joeckel, but I've noticed a few mock boards putting his team-mate Matthews ahead of him.

Maybe we can trade down and lose Joeckel, pick up Matthews and then snag a DE with the extra picks gained.

If Jones (Alabama center) is available later he would be a good pick up as he can play across the line.

This could give us a starting line of Matthews, Wiz/Jones, Wiz/Jones, Briesel, Veldheer and Bergstrom the main back up.
    This is what my approach would be IF we choose to focus on the OLine. If we trade with Say Arizona and move to 9th getting extra picks we can get Matthews. Mathews is stud at RT who has quickness to play LT and is a better run blocker than Joeckel. We keep Velhdeer where he is comfortable playing at LT and we have a star RT. Then use #39 to pick up a best pass rusher available. Although if by chance Barret Jones falls to #39 or was can move up a little to get him; he has to be the pick! Then go defense the rest of the draft and 2014 with Arizona sucking we will be in good shape to fix the defense.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by OTF View Post
    This is what my approach would be IF we choose to focus on the OLine. If we trade with Say Arizona and move to 9th getting extra picks we can get Matthews. Mathews is stud at RT who has quickness to play LT and is a better run blocker than Joeckel. We keep Velhdeer where he is comfortable playing at LT and we have a star RT. Then use #39 to pick up a best pass rusher available. Although if by chance Barret Jones falls to #39 or was can move up a little to get him; he has to be the pick! Then go defense the rest of the draft and 2014 with Arizona sucking we will be in good shape to fix the defense.
    I dont think matthews is a LT but I like him a lot too. Trading down for him and picking up someone else is a good plan. But if there are no partners available Joeckel would be my pick.

OTF
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NoThanksSir View Post
    I dont think matthews is a LT but I like him a lot too. Trading down for him and picking up someone else is a good plan. But if there are no partners available Joeckel would be my pick.
    Is this your pick period or if we go OLine? I would be fine with Joeckel if trading down is not an option as he is one of the better players in the draft. The question then becomes what to do with velhdeer. Do we move him to RT or do we move him to LG? IMO it would be better to move him to LG then to RT as his footwork would be completely different at RT. We would still be upgrading two positions as Joeckel is better than Velhdeer and Velhdeer is better than Carlisle.

Raidersman321 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I like that approach, replace Barnes with Joeckel, then get a pass rusher I've been high on in John Simon from Ohio State or that NT from Notre Dame

*edit* I wouldn't mind getting Barret Jones, being a Mobile Native and in the near future attending the UofA, I would love it..My thing with him is that he has had issues with his ankle throughout his career, specifically in 2010 when he missed a couple of key games and has re-injured it forcing him too miss some practice for the National Championship....But looking at the positives of this, when you draft Barret, you get 3 different players: a center, a tackle, and a guard...Very versatile and a leader.

Heart of Oak is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I wouldn't be unhappy with Joeckel as he is one of the better prospects in the draft - although it is one thing to block for an elusive QB like Manziel (or Robinson in the case of Lewan). However, Palmer is more of a pocket passer.

Anyway, maybe we can address the pass rush through free agency - Michael Johnson as an example would need a reasonably good contract, but won't cost the same as a blue chip free agent like Cliff Avril.

Hall of Famer
    Is this your pick period or if we go OLine? I would be fine with Joeckel if trading down is not an option as he is one of the better players in the draft. The question then becomes what to do with velhdeer. Do we move him to RT or do we move him to LG? IMO it would be better to move him to LG then to RT as his footwork would be completely different at RT. We would still be upgrading two positions as Joeckel is better than Velhdeer and Velhdeer is better than Carlisle.
    If we do not trade down he is my pick period. There is probably not a better value in my opinion at where we are picking. Veldheer could make a great LG, I just feel that he is fully capable of making the switch to RT and finding a reliable RT is not as easy as a guard in my opinion. Plus we've disregarded that position for way too long. Either way Joeckel makes this offense exponentially better.

In my eyes the raiders can go three ways, the optimal route if there is a trading partner, the sexy route with a pass rusher or stud defensive linemen, and the logical route with Joeckel to help build this franchise and prepare it for a makeover. Joeckel will be one step towards finding that super star QB, giving him the ability to succeed, having his face plastered all over ESPN, getting us wins and making deep playoff runs. That's how this game works now and we gotta adapt with the times.

Just look at the Seahawks and what Carroll did. This year after the rebuilding of the offense was finally finishing up they got their pass rusher in Bruce Irvin. 2011 their first two picks without Russel Wilson in the picture yet were James Carpenter and John Moffit. Carpenter is still an unknown but Moffit is becoming a good guard for them. And in 2010 Carroll's first year his top 5 pick was Russell Okung.

blah_blah is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Joeckel will be the 1st over all pick... Either to the Chiefs or a team who is willing to trade up for him.

plus.. he might not even come out this year.

Ratim is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by blah_blah View Post
    Joeckel will be the 1st over all pick... Either to the Chiefs or a team who is willing to trade up for him.

plus.. he might not even come out this year.
    Unless he went to college to get an education and wants to see that through he'll come out. He must know his stock won't get any higher next year than it is this year and if he doesn't come out and picks up an injury it would have a massive financial impact.

MDR8ERFAN is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidersman321 View Post
    I like that approach, replace Barnes with Joeckel, then get a pass rusher I've been high on in John Simon from Ohio State or that NT from Notre Dame

*edit* I wouldn't mind getting Barret Jones, being a Mobile Native and in the near future attending the UofA, I would love it..My thing with him is that he has had issues with his ankle throughout his career, specifically in 2010 when he missed a couple of key games and has re-injured it forcing him too miss some practice for the National Championship....But looking at the positives of this, when you draft Barret, you get 3 different players: a center, a tackle, and a guard...Very versatile and a leader.
    Nix from ND would be great pick up but he's not coming out this year.

Hall of Famer

Luke Joeckel Bandwagon (A fan can dream)

Joeckel would be a good pick I guess. But Veldheer shouldn't just be forced to move to RT. He has been a good LT. He graded out 13th best LT according to PFF.
    Mr Terrific likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information