Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By StocktonRaider
  • 2 Post By agular9
  • 3 Post By BleedSnB

Thread: Trade draft pick?

StocktonRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie

Trade draft pick?

Since we have so many needs would it be better to trade our first draft pick to get several solid players instead of one potential great player?
    Raider Ran likes this.

Pro Bowler

Trade down..

and pick up a few picks. Only way to go. Lots of holes will need to be filled next year.
    Silver And Black Until I Die.....and then some!!!!!
    and I spit on the motherf&%^*#g Broncos!!!!!!!

October 24th 2010 59-14 The Raiders own the Donkos.

“We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it” JFK

Go Ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We'll be Right back!!!!!!

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    I look for Reggie to move down try to make some trades to get picks. We need serious talent and unless there is a once in a lifetime guy at #3 or wherever we need to stockpile quality players.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Unless there's a Aldon Smith, JPP, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Von Miller type pass rusher then absolutely. Trade down, hopefully twice and pick up the highest rated RT or defensive playmaker late in the first while also getting a chance to get another top 60 prospect. Even if its for picks in the 2014 draft I'd hope they do it.

Biggest concern seems to be that this draft class doesnt have any players who teams must have to make these kinds of moves. A lot of kids have work to do before the draft.
    R8RFOX and Raider Ran like this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by agular9 View Post
    Unless there's a Aldon Smith, JPP, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Von Miller type pass rusher then absolutely. Trade down, hopefully twice and pick up the highest rated RT or defensive playmaker late in the first while also getting a chance to get another top 60 prospect. Even if its for picks in the 2014 draft I'd hope they do it.

Biggest concern seems to be that this draft class doesnt have any players who teams must have to make these kinds of moves. A lot of kids have work to do before the draft.
    That's an interesting point...I think the only two guys who have the upside for those comparisons are Jarvis Jones and possibly Ezekiel Ansah or Anthony Barr. While I'm stout on Bjoern Werner...he is a solid DE with good pass rushing capability that will start immediately in a 4-3, but maybe he isn't the raw talent of the guys you mentioned. Technically sound and very good against the run though.

Dirty Player is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    We need serious talent and unless there is a once in a lifetime guy at #3 or wherever we need to stockpile quality players.
    CB is by far the position most in need of talent, and I think Reggie should use two good picks for instant starters.

Looking at the draft board, Dee Milliner is a top-five value CB and is supposed to be the best at his position this year.

I am not a college fan, so does anyone have an opinion on this guy starting for Oakland?

Top-five picks do not hit the cap much anymore and are only four-year contracts.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Player View Post
    CB is by far the position most in need of talent, and I think Reggie should use two good picks for instant starters.

Looking at the draft board, Dee Milliner is a top-five value CB and is supposed to be the best at his position this year.

I am not a college fan, so does anyone have an opinion on this guy starting for Oakland?

Top-five picks do not hit the cap much anymore and are only four-year contracts.
    He's top corner this year...however, in a weak CB class in terms of elite talent, his draft position has been inflated IMO.

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by agular9 View Post

For the most part I agree with you. This year there isn't that one guy that all teams are coveting. However there are certain guys that certain teams may covet. For example, I have heard/read many people (draft experts so take it for what it's worth) say that there is a pretty big drop off in talent at the tackle position after Joeckel (sp?) so teams close enough may target him and be willing to go get him. As another poster pointed out, Millner is considered to be the best CB by far in this draft. And although there are other CB's rated as 1st round guys, are teams going to settle for that 2nd or 3rd corner or will they be willing to give up a little more for a guy that is rated that much higher than everyone else.

After all my reading I think our most realistic scenario is to be picking directly ahead of the Panthers and Eagles and in that order. Both teams are rumored to be in the market for a LT, but the Panthers may be willing to settle on a top DT. If we are at #3, and the Eagles see the Panthers as a threat to take Joeckel then they may be willing to jump those 2 spots to get him. This would give us the #5 and a 2nd round pick in return. From there it's the same crap shoot. Is there a team that really really really wants Millner? Or Damontre Moore? Or Te'o? Does a team want to jump ahead of the Cardinals to make sure they get the #2 QB in the draft? (Assuming chiefs go QB with the #1) This is Exactly what the Rams ran into last draft. They ended up in a highly coveted spot at #2 then traded down to a spot where the cowboys felt they needed to be to get Claiborne, and the Rams made out like bandits.

I think everyone that posted is right. There are a ton of holes on this team. I think every position is a position of need, at the very least from depth perspective. I think Reggie should make it well known that all picks are for sell. This team is severely lacking in depth and most of the guys on this team have been here awhile and are a part of this culture of losing. A large draft class, an infusion of youth across the board, helps to start dealing with both of those problems.

Hall of Famer

2012 NFL Draft Trade List

Here is a list of all moves that were made during the 2012 NFL Draft. Obviously, some got better value than others...but they are possible if a Team is willing to deal.

\\\///

NFL draft trade tracker: Details of all the moves - NFL.com

///\\\

While, we're keen on seeing an added 2nd to a 1st Round swap...the only guy who did that in 2012 was Jerry Jones, and he is definitely not the standard in the NFL. We may be lucky to get an added 3rd...or even a 4th & 5th if things go well. Depends on the trade partner.

I can't wait to see what Reggie can put together with his trade scenarios and Draft board.

We're also looking at at least one compensatory...possibly two. Optimistically, a 5th and 7th, but more likely two very late picks...6th or later.

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Trade down if we can and stock up on picks for depth.

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    Here is a list of all moves that were made during the 2012 NFL Draft. Obviously, some got better value than others...but they are possible if a Team is willing to deal.

\\\///

NFL draft trade tracker: Details of all the moves - NFL.com

///\\\

While, we're keen on seeing an added 2nd to a 1st Round swap...the only guy who did that in 2012 was Jerry Jones, and he is definitely not the standard in the NFL. We may be lucky to get an added 3rd...or even a 4th & 5th if things go well. Depends on the trade partner.

I can't wait to see what Reggie can put together with his trade scenarios and Draft board.

We're also looking at at least one compensatory...possibly two. Optimistically, a 5th and 7th, but more likely two very late picks...6th or later.
    Redskins also gave up their 2nd round pick in that group of picks they sent the Rams.

I quickly ran through a couple of those trades with the draft trade chart and they all work out pretty darn even. Except for the Vikes dropping a spot from 3 to 4. They gave up 400 pts but only got 101.5 in return. Although, only dropping that single spot and not missing out on the guy (Khalil) you are actually targeting, it makes sense to still do that trade and pick up some extra guys. Jerry Jones actually came out of the Ram's trade on the positive side as far as the math is concerned. #6 pick = 1600 and the #14 and #45 picks = 1550 together. Jerry is +50 on that one.

But the reason that you don't see higher round picks in those trades is because most of them are dealing with mid first round which are way less valuable than the high first round picks. There is a a decreasing rate of value loss the further down the draft you go. Meaning, the difference between the #2 and the #3 picks (2600-2200=400 or roughly the #50 overall pick) is far greater than the difference between say the #10 and #11 (1300-1250=50 or roughly the #122 overall pick) So once you get past the trades involving a team in the top 8 trying to get into the top 5 range you are going to stop seeing 2nd round picks being offered as trade bait. Unless you have someone do a giant leap like Jerry did last year. We are going to be high enough in the draft that any trade back is going to yield a pretty good bounty. If we are #3 and trade down multiple spots we will be getting a 2nd round pick or multiple mid round and future picks. I mean look at what the vikes got for moving from 3 to 4.. a 4th a 5th and a 7th, and they didn't even come close to coming out even as far as the chart goes.

Our key is going to be drafting at #2 or #3 though. That's where you get a major drop off in point value. The difference between 3 and 4 is 400 but the difference between 4 and 5 is only 100.

Here is a look at the draft trade chart

Thread Information