Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Lets stop the Manti Te'o crazy talk now!

RaiderALBERT is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie

Lets stop the Manti Te'o crazy talk now!

Manti Te'o and his ostensible Heisman candidacy is the perfect representation of the Notre Dame phenomenon. Here you have a guy who, while clearly a very good player, is barely in the top 100 in college football in tackles at a position for which tackles are supremely important. Yes, he has a sexy interception total (which appeared as if from nowhere, because none of his previous seasons resulted in such takeaways), but overall he is simply not an elite defender.

Now with that in mind, go 'round the Internet and see how many "Manti Te'o is the best thing since Penicillin"-type articles are out there. It's craziness. Te'o isn't even among the top 10 best defenders in the country and if he played at any other school we wouldn't even know his name.

We will most likely have the # 4, 3 or 2 pick in next years NFL draft. Sign me up for some Star Leh-Two-Wee or Jarvis Jones. We need ELITE defenders! Not the next Ray Maualuga...

And better yet... Lets DEF tank the 2013 season. Forget our slogan 'JUST WIN BABY!' it should be 'CLOWNEY FOR THE RAIDERS 2014!' then it can go back to 'JUST WIN, Hopefully.'

weber_2 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Didn't you hear? Manti will bring us our 4th Lombardi....

AutumnWind32 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Te'o is a good college MLB who will do little in the NFL imo. The history of the league is littered with similar talent, stories, etc.

Hypnotoad is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Tackles. LOL.

MDR8ERFAN is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Lets stop the Manti Te'o crazy talk now!

I'm currently over SEC players based on the 2 that we have picked early. If drafting Te'o meant the end of McClain you wouldn't hear a complaint from me. I think Te'o will be a fine NFL player but I'm not sure where he falls in the draft. I wouldn't be upset if they took him and I won't be upset if they take any other top D player at any position.

jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Te' O is the real deal. I have much less faith in SEC sure things. Manti brings more than tackles to the field. He brings heart and intelligence. He's a smart player. Smarts makes a big difference when the physical talents are equal. Look at JaMarcus. Lots of physical ability and looked great playing SEC football. Not so much intelligence. Didnt work out so good for the NFL.

Raiders Baby! is online now Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I'm also not as high on Te'o as everyone else. He's definitely tough and has great leadership skills, but I don't think he has true star power. If a team like the Steelers or Ravens signed him I think he would fit in instantly with their defensive culture, but I think asking him to come in and help save a floundering defense is a recipe for disaster.

jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Its a disaster thinking one guy is going to save your defense. ANY one guy. Its funny you said if he went to a good defensive team, he'd be a star...lol...ok. Yes...just like ANYONE in the NFL. Put him on a bad team, and he looks horrible. He's a solid guy to build your defense around. Players are not just numbers and stats. How does he motivate others? How does he deal with adversity? How hard has he worked to get where he was? What choices has he made so far?

1. He chose Notre Dame over USC. He decided that while being much more difficult scholastically he'd rather have that education. Could have said, I'll go to a school that I dont have to study as hard, or work nearly as hard. Maybe even one that pays the athletes illegally?

2. He chose not to leave in his junior year and stay and graduate.

3. He chose a Notre Dame football program that was far from a national powerhouse when he was recruited. Again, chose the harder path that he thought would be better in the long run..shows vision.

4. Had his Grandmother and Girlfriend die within 8 hours of each other. Could have packed it in right there and no one would blame him. Stuck with it, and stepped up for his team.

5. Every interview says how he plays for his team. He's unselfish.

Everyone mentions how many tackles he has...if you have never seen him play then you have no clue. Hes ALWAYS around the ball. Always in position and forces plays to where help is. Its a TEAM defense and he is the star and leader of the team. I dont car how many tackles he has, as long as the job gets done. So the best linebacker on the best college defense isnt good enough to draft. You are nuts. Take a coddled, prima donna player thats been out for self since high school, put them on a 4-12 NFL team and see how much effort and intensity you get in week 10 (McClain) ...lol...College stats are nearly meaningless when it comes to pro athletes.

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    The Raiders first draft pick should be an offensive lineman.
    2nd pick should be a defensive lineman.
    3rd pick should be a defensive secondary position player..
    4th pick should be an offensive lineman.
    5th pick should be a linebacker.

WTG
    WTG is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Te'o makes up in heart in what he lacks in talents, period.

SoBruTal_ is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    too late

Hall of Famer
    But, but,...he's a beast.

r8erray is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Star, Jarvis Jones or trade down

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    Te' O is the real deal. I have much less faith in SEC sure things. Manti brings more than tackles to the field. He brings heart and intelligence. He's a smart player. Smarts makes a big difference when the physical talents are equal. Look at JaMarcus. Lots of physical ability and looked great playing SEC football. Not so much intelligence. Didnt work out so good for the NFL.
    over half of his tackles are assisted. Lot of arm tackles which wont work in NFL. Not a freakish athlete like Ray lewis, Willis, Urlacher (not top 10 value). Overpursues and misses tackles... from the games i've watched.

Product of a great team defense and high quality defensive line to protect him. The 46 solo tackles really concerns me... Willis averaged 98 solo tackles.

KEVIN WYNNE is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_Raider_Fan View Post
    The Raiders first draft pick should be an offensive lineman.
    2nd pick should be a defensive lineman.
    3rd pick should be a defensive secondary position player..
    4th pick should be an offensive lineman.
    5th pick should be a linebacker.
    We need to trade down in the 1st round to pick up a second rounder and some other additional picks.
    BigAl40 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information