Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 457
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open Thought Discussion: 2013 NFL Draft

  1. #1
    RaiderAg's Avatar
    RaiderAg is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    5,408

    Open Thought Discussion: 2013 NFL Draft

    For those random thoughts and discussions, when chat room just isn't there for you. At this point, we have to find a way to replace Seymour and Kelly...Lotulelei or Hankins would be a start...there are some guys like Sylvester Williams, John Jenkins, Jesse Williams, Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Josh Boyd and Kawann Short are all late 1st to early 3rd Round possibilities as well.

    Let the rebuild begin. New Blood. Allen/Tarver blood.
    Monkz, ShimSham and DustInTheWind like this.

  2. #2
    RaiderfanCT is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    For those random thoughts and discussions, when chat room just isn't there for you. At this point, we have to find a way to replace Seymour and Kelly...Lotulelei or Hankins would be a start...there are some guys like Sylvester Williams, John Jenkins, Jesse Williams, Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Josh Boyd and Kawann Short are all late 1st to early 3rd Round possibilities as well.

    Let the rebuild begin. New Blood. Allen/Tarver blood.
    I definitely agree with needing DT or NT depth depending on the scheme we run. I like Lotulelei and Hankins but I don't see them as players I would take in the top 10. I would much rather trade back and get a guy like Jenkins, move to a 3-4 and use picks gained to fill our other numerous holes.
    BigAl40 likes this.

  3. #3
    Monkz's Avatar
    Monkz is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderfanCT View Post
    I definitely agree with needing DT or NT depth depending on the scheme we run. I like Lotulelei and Hankins but I don't see them as players I would take in the top 10. I would much rather trade back and get a guy like Jenkins, move to a 3-4 and use picks gained to fill our other numerous holes.
    Took the words out of my mouth, except I do think Star and Hankins deserve a top 10 selection I would rather trade down, pick up JJ and get a corner (Amerson/Poyer) or a pass rusher (Dion Jordan) in the second round. Assuming we move to a 3-4, either way I can't see Seymour and Kelly returning next year with their fat contracts, so it would be the ideal time to switch to a 3-4.

  4. #4
    RaiderAg's Avatar
    RaiderAg is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkz View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth, except I do think Star and Hankins deserve a top 10 selection I would rather trade down, pick up JJ and get a corner (Amerson/Poyer) or a pass rusher (Dion Jordan) in the second round. Assuming we move to a 3-4, either way I can't see Seymour and Kelly returning next year with their fat contracts, so it would be the ideal time to switch to a 3-4.
    Miles Burris will become a superstar in a 3-4, my opinion.
    BigAl40 likes this.

  5. #5
    DustInTheWind's Avatar
    DustInTheWind is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    Miles Burris will become a superstar in a 3-4, my opinion.
    Is that Wheeler and Burris inside?

  6. #6
    RaiderAg's Avatar
    RaiderAg is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by DustInTheWind View Post
    Is that Wheeler and Burris inside?
    I think they can do both, especially on passing downs, but Burris belongs outside in my opinion. I'd rather see him in a Clay Matthews type role.

  7. #7
    speedkills's Avatar
    speedkills is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    16,336
    Blog Entries
    2
    I want a right tackle , dend, corner in that order
    "Darth Vader is a punk compared to Al Davis," Hunter S Thompson

  8. #8
    DustInTheWind's Avatar
    DustInTheWind is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    I think they can do both, especially on passing downs, but Burris belongs outside in my opinion. I'd rather see him in a Clay Matthews type role.
    Alright that's how I like to see him utilized too. Think it probably depends on who they can get via the draft/FA.

    Was disappointed by their missed tackles yesterday. I would like to see Wheeler be the SILB next year - wear the headset etc. - though.

  9. #9
    lebedeff is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkz View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth, except I do think Star and Hankins deserve a top 10 selection I would rather trade down, pick up JJ and get a corner (Amerson/Poyer) or a pass rusher (Dion Jordan) in the second round. Assuming we move to a 3-4, either way I can't see Seymour and Kelly returning next year with their fat contracts, so it would be the ideal time to switch to a 3-4.
    i think Star and Hankins are over hyped. I think we can get a good NT later in the 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round. As for seymour and kelly, Kelly has a big contract so will be hard to move him and we are stuck with seymour until 2017 right now with his contract unless he retires or we can sucker a team to take him. I agree this yr maybe the best time to switch to 3-4 if we can get more draft picks

  10. #10
    RaiderAg's Avatar
    RaiderAg is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by lebedeff View Post
    i think Star and Hankins are over hyped. I think we can get a good NT later in the 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round. As for seymour and kelly, Kelly has a big contract so will be hard to move him and we are stuck with seymour until 2017 right now with his contract unless he retires or we can sucker a team to take him. I agree this yr maybe the best time to switch to 3-4 if we can get more draft picks
    If you think they're being overhyped now...wait until they get a full off season of speed camp, power camp and rock the Combine. Not hyped as bad as Dontari Poe, but they'll be even better looking come April. Provided their interviews don't go to hell.

  11. #11
    kinz is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by lebedeff View Post
    i think Star and Hankins are over hyped. I think we can get a good NT later in the 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round. As for seymour and kelly, Kelly has a big contract so will be hard to move him and we are stuck with seymour until 2017 right now with his contract unless he retires or we can sucker a team to take him. I agree this yr maybe the best time to switch to 3-4 if we can get more draft picks
    Imo what we need are run stuffing DTs or a true NT. A big space eater (or two for a rotation) can often be found a bit later on in the draft. Maybe 3rd.

  12. #12
    DustInTheWind's Avatar
    DustInTheWind is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkz View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth, except I do think Star and Hankins deserve a top 10 selection I would rather trade down, pick up JJ and get a corner (Amerson/Poyer) or a pass rusher (Dion Jordan) in the second round. Assuming we move to a 3-4, either way I can't see Seymour and Kelly returning next year with their fat contracts, so it would be the ideal time to switch to a 3-4.
    Amerson? If Reggie drafts him to play CB I will lose all faith in his abilities as a GM/talent evaluator. Wouldn't mind getting someone like Dion Jordon in the 2nd even though I feel like he could go late 1st if he has good workouts and combine.

    Quote Originally Posted by lebedeff View Post
    i think Star and Hankins are over hyped. I think we can get a good NT later in the 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round. As for seymour and kelly, Kelly has a big contract so will be hard to move him and we are stuck with seymour until 2017 right now with his contract unless he retires or we can sucker a team to take him. I agree this yr maybe the best time to switch to 3-4 if we can get more draft picks
    Replacing Seymour and Kelly, no matter the scheme, needs to be a top priority. Also need to do something about McClain and the ILB spot. Most of the runs yesterday, big and small, were up the middle with those three bums failing to do their jobs. The fact that you let a rookie run up the gut without both starting, Pro Bowl quality, OGs is inexcusable.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    If you think they're being overhyped now...wait until they get a full off season of speed camp, power camp and rock the Combine. Not hyped as bad as Dontari Poe, but they'll be even better looking come April. Provided their interviews don't go to hell.
    They are both 10X the player Poe was or is.


    So do we think interior DL or pass rusher is still more important with our first pick?

  13. #13
    Metallica0688's Avatar
    Metallica0688 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washougal,WA
    Posts
    1,906
    There is no way that Reggie is going to be able to get rid of both Kelly and Seymour and have enough cap space left to sign some decent players for the other spots that is needed to be addressed to .

    Best bet is decide which one is the better addition by subtraction for the team next year as both are going to cost $8 million in the cap hit to release them .

    My choice would be dump Seymour and ride another year with Kelly .

    Grabbing Sheldon Richardson gives us a replacement for Seymour .

    Should be there in the lower 1st if Reggie can swing a deal to trade down from the likely Top 10 spot we will be picking .

    Plenty of NT we can grab in the lower rounds to eat space for us .

    Star yes is nice and could be a Ngata type but his Motivation is lacking for 60 minutes .
    Is that because of maybe playing with to much weight ?
    Is he playing with an injury ?
    I was high on him but watching more games of him disappear in them is cause for concerns .

    Hankins not the flashy play of Star is potential . But I see him more of a Pat Williams or Ted Washington career of being a nice run stopper DT .

    Jenkins much like Sheldon both these guys are so light on their feet for the size of them that would be nice to see as the UT .

    But then again got to consider the pass rush is bad to for us do you go for a Jarvis Jones or Mingo if they are there over a Star or Hankins if we don't trade down ?

    Do you grab a OT and hope that you can control the clock with having long sustained drives .

  14. #14
    Marzan's Avatar
    Marzan is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,302
    After a game like yesterday it's so crystal clear: We have soooo many needs in this roster that prioritizing what to pick is going to be tough. DT, ROT, CB, pass rusher, ILB, S...we need it all.

    I say start with the trenches and build from there. If Reggie can't engineer a trade down for more picks early on, just get the best lineman available (defensive or offensive, doesn't matter we need both anyway) and go from there.
    RaiderAg likes this.

  15. #15
    or24's Avatar
    or24 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    21,066

    Open Thought Discussion: 2013 NFL Draft

    Ah flavor of the week, trash our DT's and we need a big NT...lol

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •