Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open Thought Discussion: 2013 NFL Draft

Hall of Famer
    I just watched that game too and I was totally unimpressed with Jarvis Jones. He got pushed around way to easily on the end of the line. He was practically invisible on run plays.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER_Dave View Post
    I just watched that game too and I was totally unimpressed with Jarvis Jones. He got pushed around way to easily on the end of the line. He was practically invisible on run plays.
    I agree, he took a hit today. Pretty big one, flashed nicely as a pass rusher, but you run the dogs right at him and you might as well have 10 guys on defense.

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    I wonder if Jones stock will drop.

I'm starting to warm up to Te'o, because of his work ethic. He doesn't quit on plays, plays hard on every play, plays with passion. Just what the Raiders need on this team. Hope Notre Dame doesn't win the championship, his stock my rise to the roof like Kiper big board lol.

No more primadonna on our team that are talented, but don't play hard every game once they get paid, not saying Jones and Star will be like that. I have to do more research on these players as the draft comes closer.

I did see Jarvis Jones today, stand around and watched, when the play went to the other side of the field, where a bama RB broke a tackle. Something that I didn't like to see, especially with the Raiders bunch they have now.

ismail86 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ismail86 View Post
    If we pass on Star it better be for Jarvis. I have wanted a monster NT for almost 7 years now and Jarvis is the only one I'd be ok with selecting over Star.
    And as I finish the game, I stand corrected. Please just draft Star.
    CaptainKirk52 and Mr Terrific like this.

RaiderfanCT is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrific View Post
    I wonder if Jones stock will drop.
    Maybe a spot or two. I wouldn't expect too dramatic of a drop. One bad game doesn't wipe out all the good ones and vice versa.
    Mr Terrific and DustInTheWind like this.

Raiders NY is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Haven't been on here much...but another potential high pick waiting in the wings unfortunately....

But honestly....Im on the Geno Smith bandwagon. The guy is a hard worker, can make every throw and above all is COACHABLE. Very talented. People say he isnt the prospect RG3 was...but people forget that these same concerns arose as RG3 was coming out in comparison to Cam Newton...food for thought.

If you dont have a franchise qb....you keep looking for one....

I see a lightning quick release...the ability to read defenses and trust his receivers in that spread offense although many question the transition from it...there are many aspects used in todays NFL...

DO we have a franchise QB? Absolutely not. And were not going to be in contention next year under this mess. We need a guy that can take us there. And we finally have a solid regime to do it.

Geno would come in and have young weapons to grow with in Moore, DHB, Ford (mr.IR), Myers, Reece

His O-line has some talent that Im sure we will add pieces to.

And Darren Mcfadden and Marcel Reece are going to figure it out in the backfield. They are too talented not too.

If we can get a decent offensive coordinator in here...I would love this pick. RG3 is flourishing in a scheme that suits his strengths...Luck is playing well...we can have that in Geno.

IF he's gone the NT from Utah or Jarvis Jones...or even Moore would be nice options...but Geno is on the top of my list.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders NY View Post
    If you dont have a franchise qb....you keep looking for one....

I see a lightning quick release...the ability to read defenses and trust his receivers in that spread offense although many question the transition from it...there are many aspects used in todays NFL...

DO we have a franchise QB? Absolutely not. And were not going to be in contention next year under this mess. We need a guy that can take us there. And we finally have a solid regime to do it.
    Exactly. If Reggie sees Geno or any other QB in this draft as their franchise QB they have to pull the trigger and go get him. People talk about drafting Te'o because of his intangibles and I think you could easily make the argument that Geno can offer those same intangibles on and off the field. Be interesting to see who Reggie actually drafts or tries to draft.

Hall of Famer

Our only choice imo is to trade down

We're likely to get a top 3, top 5 pick. And there's 10 players minimum I'd take at that spot. We just have too many holes to pick that high with no set top tier.
    Draft: (1/5th Overall) Khalil Mack, OLB/DE (2) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG (3) Dominique Easley, DT (4) David Fales, QB

Hall of Famer
    It's time to start the trade down stockpiling method... New England style, we have so many problems right now.

I hope our 2013 Draft looks something like this...add some value in the 2014 draft as well.

Trade down 1st, to 7-10 Overall...trade down again to 15-25...make a selection. Add on 2nd, a third and two 4ths, along with a 2014 2nd.

2013:
    Late 1st
    High 2nd
    Low 2nd
    High 3rd
    Low 3rd
    Low 4th
    High 5th
    Comp 5th
    High 6th
    High 7th (Carolina)
    High 7th
    Comp 7th

2014:
    1st
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    5th
    6th
    7th
    ottomatic1 and DustInTheWind like this.

TarHeelRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    OK after this game, I've given up. Draft a QB and let's rebuild. Cut anyone above 30 besides Jano. This team is so far off, sad because of how close we were last year. Funny what 1 game does to a franchise.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading down to get a next tier level qb if thats who reggie wants, but we need a new face of the franchise (if we ever had one this year).

Interesting that the running game didn't look terrible today. Maybe the zone blocking will/can work. McFadden would have to be traded, but at this point who cares he misses 5 games a season minimum.

Metallica0688 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Well if we are going to go the New England route then shouldn't we look at just trading out of the 1st round entirely and grabbing a couple 2nd rd picks and an additional 1st rd pick for 2014
    is draft ?

Cause really what is the difference for us is we are going to drop down from our now Top 1-3 pick then lets just grab a 2nd rd pick now and 3rd and get the teams 2014 1st rd pick for doing this .

Some solid role players for Reggie to add with the 2nd rd picks this way and 3rd rds to .

Then ammo for the 1st rd to move up in 2014 for his QB if that is what he is wanting to get then .
    Cause we all know that next year is going to be another high Top 10 draft pick for us too anyways .

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    It's time to start the trade down stockpiling method... New England style, we have so many problems right now.

I hope our 2013 Draft looks something like this...add some value in the 2014 draft as well.

Trade down 1st, to 7-10 Overall...trade down again to 15-25...make a selection. Add on 2nd, a third and two 4ths, along with a 2014 2nd.

2013:
    Late 1st
    High 2nd
    Low 2nd
    High 3rd
    Low 3rd
    Low 4th
    High 5th
    Comp 5th
    High 6th
    High 7th (Carolina)
    High 7th
    Comp 7th

2014:
    1st
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    5th
    6th
    7th

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    2 of the last 3 games are against the Chiefs and @ Panthers

I can see the Raiders beating the Chiefs and , but losing to the Panthers

I see a lot of Mock drafts having the Panthers picking Star Lotulelei, which makes me cringe. Panthers have Falcons, @ Chargers, Raiders , Saints.

I have them losing all 3, but if they do beat the Raiders, Raiders would win the tie breaker if both are 4-12

Panthers schedule is tougher than ours, but we got the Queefs and chargers @ home which are winnable, unless we start Pryor the last few games and tank.

Yes I'm bored.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrific View Post
    2 of the last 3 games are against the Chiefs and @ Panthers

I can see the Raiders beating the Chiefs and , but losing to the Panthers

I see a lot of Mock drafts having the Panthers picking Star Lotulelei, which makes me cringe. Panthers have Falcons, @ Chargers, Raiders , Saints.

I have them losing all 3, but if they do beat the Raiders, Raiders would win the tie breaker if both are 4-12

Panthers schedule is tougher than ours, but we got the Queefs and chargers @ home which are winnable, unless we start Pryor the last few games and tank.

Yes I'm bored.

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    So I have been thinking about trading down and what we could possibly yield . With that in mind I looked up the trade value chart and started plying out some scenarios just for fun. Granted all of this is based on many, many assumptions but I did come up with one that I think is at least feasible. According to the trade value chart these numbers do work out.

First the assumptions.. I am assuming we will be picking in the 3rd slot. I am also assuming that any trade partner will have the same slot in each round (i.e. if they are picking 13th in the first round they will be picking 13th in rounds 2,3, and so on). Last, and certainly not least, I am assuming there are willing trade partners. That being said... here we go

My scenario has us trading back 3 times in the first round. From 3 to 7, from 7 to 13, then finally from 13 to 18. The reason I have 3 "shorter" jumps is that I do not see the one guy in this draft that a team would be willing to sell out their future for like the 'skins did last draft. So I have multiple moves with us picking up just a couple picks in each one.

(Left hand side of the equation is the pick we are trading and right side is what we will receive in return)

r1 p3 = r1 p7 +r2 p39 + 2014 r2
    r1 p7 = r1 p13 + r3 p77 + 2014 r3
    r1 p13 = r1 p18 + r3 p82 + r4 p114

Total compensation after the dust clears...

For our initial #3 overall we would get 7 picks over the next 2 drafts. 2013 picks 18, 39, 77, 82, 114, and 2014 r2 and r3

By my count, with our current allotment of picks, I think this would give us 7 picks in the top 120 this season and 6 in the top 120 next season

top 120 picks 2013

top 120 picks 2014
    rd1
    rd2
    rd2
    rd3
    rd3
    rd4

This probably wouldn't happen, then again the Rams turned one pick into 8 top 60 picks over 2 drafts. Maybe this isn't so far off. I think our best case scenario is the Rams (with their multitude of picks) picking around #10 and really coveting the top O tackle. According to the trade chart that jump couldyield the #10 and #42 picks, as well as 2014 1st and 2nd round picks.
    Metallica0688 likes this.

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    If my above scenario did play out here is a possible draft...

18 - DT John Jenkins UGA
    39 - OLB Chase Thomas Stanford
    67 - ILB Arthur Brown KState
    77 - FS Baccari Rambo UGA
    82 - CB Leon McFadeen SDSU
    99 - CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson UConn
    114 - RB Kenjon Barner Oregon

Just saying...
    tonjappr and Metallica0688 like this.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information