Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Like Tree311Likes

Thread: 2013 Mock Drafts

Ancyent Fathoms is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    The idea being that this off-season a few things get addressed: the secondary and the pass rush. With a longterm switch to a penetrating, speed, 1-Gap 3-4 alignment, which can flex to a 2-4-5 for pass defense and 3-3-5. Likewise the foundation for the longterm plan on offense and defense is established. I would need Reggie to give me the 5 year outlook so that I could scout accordingly.

Is it going to be a 3-4? What style?

What kind-of offense? WCO? Ball control, double tight Stanford style?
    OR new-school Chip Kelly Spread? What about merged WCO with Pistol using Veer and option, to playaction pass, a la Shanahan in washington?

I'd need to know what the longterm plan is ...
    __

Anyway for MY plan of a 1-gap 3-4, need to have multiple rushers and athletic d-lineman, as well as press man corners and reliable safeties.

I would re-sign Wheeler first business. He's a natural ball hound, good in coverage and he would still work in a 3-4 as an ILB. He'd be the tackler, able to slipstream. I'd still need to find a banger either in draft or FA. Re-sign Lechler (though I can see the point about Marquette King being kept around on "IR" scholarship). Actually that's a tough one. The team would be in total rebuild, Reggie could save a bunch of coin by not re-signing Lechler ... IDK, up in the air on that one.

I would re-sign Myers at TE and possibly bring back Hagan as the possession catcher, to compliment the solid core that DHB has stepped up to provide, along with the undrafted stud Streater. But there are plenty of receivers available in the draft, it's a deep position group. There will undoubtedly be some talent that goes undrafted. Obviously Moore is the dynamic YAC and homerun threat. I might be inclined to grab someone like Dri Archer, Tobias Palmer, Darius Johnson or Tevin Reece, as a later round selection to add to the dynamic element of receivers.

As per running back, I like Gillislee a good bit. I also think two guys in Rex Burkhead and Zach Line are both good fits in a zone scheme. They both have experience in short Shotgun, Pistol - with that mesh point which the QB can option from. Also like Robbie Rouse.

There are a handful of exclusive rights free agents that Reggie will have to shift through including a bunch of secondary guys and d-line guys ... I don't want to get into that right now. The idea for the long term would be a 3-4 defense and scheme specific players for that type of defense.
    __

Let me just say that I don't think this is the year to solve the QB situation. Eventually, as is the right for every GM, Reggie will get a chance to put his stamp on the Org. That means his own franchise QB. But it has to be married to the right scheme. Right now there are spare parts for different styles. This is not the draft, at the top end, to solve the franchise QB.

However, I do expect the decks to be shuffled at QB this off season.

It's really about the longterm scheme and what kind-of offense you want to run. I hope Reggie has a firm belief in what scheme he wants to run. Honestly, I think the only way to get a dominate offense, one that sets standards in the NFL, is to have an offensive coach who is so good, so innovative, that ultimately, he would command the head coaching role. And in order to be a good HC, you need to be a leader of men, not just some intelligent coordinator. You got to have personality and brilliance and savvy and charisma - only few apply.

Likewise you need a brilliant QB ... hahaha.

Otherwise you're just ... "following." Or hoping to land an up and comer coordinator (who if he succeeds) would be on his way to a HC gig sooner than later.

Palmer is just a place holder - I stand by that, no offense, but we all must see that he's not the longterm answer ... so based solely on that, a full fledged franchise QB is obviously needed. Let me just touch briefly on a few things. IF the Raiders got a coach like Chip Kelly, he could work with Pryor and run Spread, zone read and option and succeed with simple passes to nurture his growth - it would be worth a test, at least. After the test, then an evaluation of the longterm QB could be addressed, but it would be along the lines of Spread lineage.

David Shaw would be another fine coach, but totally different scheme offensively from Kelly. And in that situ, Pryor would be misaligned, just as he is with Knapp. I would need to know the longeterm scheme going forward in order to provide a decent draft, list of prospects that are scheme specific.

That's what I would ask of Reggie if I were to compile prospects and grades.

A coach like Sean Payton would need to have a Franchise QB in place. So that really excludes the Raiders. This draft doesn't have a Luck or RG3 and the Raiders are not selecting #1 overall and neither do they have an established vet like Manning ... so (there's more to be written here, just not now).

Beyond that if knapp and allen are still around (which I personally don't agree with) then keeping Pryor is a waste of a roster spot - IMO. Use him or don't.

I've posted before about which coaches I like:
    Here

Per defense, I actually like Lou Spanos and Keith Butler (Spanos: former Pittsburgh Steelers and Redskins LB coach, current DC at UCLA // Butler still LB at Pittsburgh, heir to LeBeau).
    __

Free agent targets:

- Unrealistic - Jairus Byrd - FS (probably re-signed and/or too expensive ... but it would be nice, top choice, but unrealistic)

- Unlikely - Dashon Goldson - SS (again, would you eagerly join the Raiders? - unlikely)

- A Chance - Kenny Phillips - SS (dealing with a sprained MCL, also a triumvirate of safeties in NYG, cheaper contract - a chance)

Only Byrd would be the natural Free Safety there. If Byrd cannot be attained due to the limited Cap room or his unwillingness to do a charitable act and help save the Oakland franchise, more than likely he won't end up here. So that kind-of complicates things as it pertains to Branch, who is a SS. For whatever reason Branch has just slipped in terms of his coverage ability this year. Maybe a decent FS would help inspire him.

So I hope against hope for Byrd.

Adding another SS in free agency probably won't have the same impact as a FS would and might actually be more of a detriment, log jam things - IDK. Per the draft, there are guys like Rambo who I have going in the 2nd ... that's why he's not on the mock. IF he were to slid to the 3rd, I'd have to consider, dependent upon the free agent period.

Beyond him, the next pure FS I see is Rashard Hall, possibly the 4th round. I'd even consider Amerson as a converted CB to FS. I guess if Amerson was around in the 3rd, I'd consider it too.

Giordano is a free agent at years end. So maybe all one could do is get the best available safety on the market, willing to come to Oakland - even if that be another SS. Again Giordano is really a back-up, but still a likeable guy. Phillips has some crossover ability to FS.
    __

A corner, any corner will do. That should be the phrase.

My first choice is not D. rodgers-cromartie, actually think he's a subjective talent, mercurial. At times he keeps opposing QB's completion percentage and passer rating low, other times, he gives up large YAC and his tackles vis a vis physicality has been questioned. He may ask for more money than he could return in value. I'll still list him. Talib and Cox would be solid pick ups - IMO.

- A Chance - Derek Cox - CB (solid CB w/ 28 career PDs & 11 INTs over 4 seasons, dealt with knee injury in 2011 - not serious and "leg injury" in 2012, cheaper contract - a chance)

- A Chance - Aqib Talib - CB (still makes plays - watch the NE v Indy game for his INT returned for a TD. He can play loose at times but will show up for big plays, a gambler. He needs a solid organization to quell the off-field issues of his past ... key word past. Reggie has a new mantra)

- possibility - Mike Jenkins - CB (after dallas selected Claiborne in the draft last year and signed Carr in FA, I'd think that Jenkins would be up for an opportunity to be a starting level outside CB again in the NFL - Raiders are obviously having open casting calls, aka opportunity)

- Not 1st choice - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB (he'll probably be the most sought after and maybe it's too soon in the infancy of the rebuild to actually spend a lot of money on someone like DRC - could be detrimental)

Draft wise is below: I listed Will Davis who I've read is speculated to end up in the 2nd when all is said and done. In the 3rd he'd be value. We all know about Jordan Poyer (like, don't love). Here again is maybe a reason to trade down and target someone like Rhodes while still getting another selection ... IDK. I'd rather hit a homerun with an impact guy like Jarvis Jones or Star L.
    __

Offensive tackle:

Briefly, it's RT that needs to be solidified. We all know of Veldheer's impending free agent status in 2014. If you right the ship now, maybe he'll want to stay, if he sees the org going in the right direction.

We all know about Clady and Long ... and it would be a cold day in Oakland before that happened - if you ask me.

Possibility - Sebastian Vollmer - RT (starter for NE, good against the pass - very solid in fact. But where he lacks is his mobility in the open field, his bend in general. He plays too upright. His run blocking leaves something to be desired. The reasons behind that are mechanical, not limited ability. He has dealt with a back issue since college, houston, that has flared-up at different times subsequently. He had "major surgery" on his back in college (2006). He started 25 consecutive games in college following the surgery. When he's right ... he's a 2nd team pro bowl talent, as evidenced in 2010)

Because of the back issues, NE has shown a propensity to release guys or not sign guys that they feel don't have the longevity to play at a high level. After a shortened 2011 season, the back issues, I should add, were substantially dealt with in the off-season prior to 2012, when Vollmer had a small "procedure" done. He played in the first 10 games this year, only missing one with some stiffness and pain. He likewise has only yielded 1 sack on the year so far. He's good in pass-pro, but the back is a question mark and it affects his run game.

Possibility - Branden Albert - OT/RT (a starting LT, would upgrade the RT position. I just don't know if he'd actually join here, maybe he would. According to PFF:
    "He is 2nd in the entire league among offensive tackles in Pass Blocking Efficiency, allowing only eight total pressures in 279 pass block snaps. Included in those eight pressures is just one sack and that came on opening day"
    *sign).

You know there is, afterall, Bergstrom who has needed to cut his milkteeth for awhile - surprised it took so long for him to get into the lineup. Good that he's finally starting to play. Because Willie Smith, it's not bad enough he gets called for holding or gets blown back by bullrush (which occurred quite a bit in Washington BTW - need to do some scouting on that) it's that a TD pass is called back upon his penalty. That's just a double blow. So ... move on from Willie (please).

There are some nice draft possibilities too: Brian Winters from Kent State is one I've been following. I also like Tanner Hawkinson of Kansas. Unfortunately Eric Fisher is going early. I understand the idea of trading down to get some hits in the end of round 1 into round 2. I just think it's better to grab the premiere player.
    __

Camp Competition - Josh Johnson - QB (currently out of the NFL, playing in the UFL - sacramento)

Again just a guy to add to competition. I'm sure a low level vet could be added here as well. Palmer should go due to contract.
    __

Transition to 3-4, need rush:

Likely - Cliff Avril - 3-4 rush OLB - (He's quietly playing on a franchise tag this year and performing, with the hopes for a year that leads to getting paid ... He racked up 11 sacks in 2011 and so far in 2012, 7.5 sacks. But I think the cost will actually be fair on the open market. Watch him and you'll see the spark of getting after the QB. He is a DE in the 4-3, but he does attack from stand-up, he could easily transition to 3-4 OLB)

Possibility - Paul Kruger - 3-4 OLB - (under the radar. He has accumulated 5.5 sacks last year for Baltimore and 5.5 this year. Ideal for a cheap contract for an established NFL presence, especially for a switch to a 3-4. Also draft his brothers Dave and Joe - make it a family business to crush the opposing QB ... *along with Star! - Plus his brother-in-law Tony B. prolly wouldn't mind either)

*Read below concerning Jarvis Jones in the draft. Got to plan ahead that Jones goes #1 or #2 - IF SO, hope for Star L. and possibly add Avril to combo with Burris as the edge rush. Add in a Quanterus Smith ... and a banger like Greg Blair, re-sign Wheeler ... and BOOM.

__

In terms of d-line, there are a few guys I'd look at. I don't want to get too detailed here.

Not Likely - Henry Melton - DE/DT - (this guy would be ideal for an attacking 3-4 defense, 1 gap. Could play 5 Tech DE or penetrating 1 Tech / 0 Tech, in order to collapse the pocket. He's extremely athletic. Perfect size at 6'3" and 295 to 300 lbs. Only problem is he's probably high on Chicago's re-sign list. Has 15.5 sacks in 3 years service - 7 last year, 6 already this year).

Medical - Shaun Cody - NT - (He's injured now. I need to know the medical of his ribs and lung)

Age/Size - Isaac Sopoaga - NT - (Again, I want to go 1 gap, I don't think I need a 2 gap guy ... maybe he'd come cheap for rotation and scheme diverse packages when I needed to 2 gap in order to stop a heavy run team)
    __

This is a decent list of upcoming FA:
    2013 NFL Free Agents
    I use rotoworld as well for contract info.
    __

Per draft, I want to take what the draft gives me. This draft is being lead by defensive players ... not the QBs. I do like Geno, but unless there is a total culture change and a new Head Coach is brought in, like Chip Kelly ... I don't see the need with using a blue chip selection on a QB, this year. You see, I think you could marry Chip Kelly with a QB like Geno, but it wouldn't make sense to get G. Smith for a knapp offense.

Anyway, Just as important as getting depth and multiple selections to help in a total rebuild (and I see a lot of folk's mocks have multiple trades and trade downs ... I think that's good ... BUT), just as important to multiple players is the fact that you need a Blue Chip player, a difference maker, a special impact player from the top of the draft.

The pillars of the modern rebuild
    A. Franchise QB
    B. Protect QB (LT)
    C. Get opposing QB (OLB/DE/DT)

So this year it's got two studs in Jarvis Jones and Star L. I don't think I can entertain Geno anymore. Milliner, as an after-thought. He'd be another choice if both Star and Jarvis were gone.

My first choice is J. Jones. I'd love to see both Jones and Burris in stand-up rushing the opposing QB. To use Burris as he was used at San Diego St. in his proper form as a speed edge rusher with spin and balance and pop. He with Jones would be a feared tandem in the AFC - trust.

People might call them the Gruesome Twosome.

(But) in order for that duo to be effective a solid 5-Tech would be worth his weight in gold. So I'd look to either free agency or draft for the best d-lineman I could get, whether that's a 0-Tech nose tackle or a 5-Tech DE. Brandon Williams is a name that I've followed. Also the multi-use brothers of Kruger (Joe & Dave) at Utah, who are probably available in the 7th or as undrafted.

* I should add one note here, that IF I felt that I could NOT get Jarvis Jones, even at #3 overall ... I'd actually jump to get Cliff Avril to have him as my stand-up 3-4 outside rusher, coupled with Burris and then hope to get Star L. as that dominate 5-Tech to open up everything else ... Even consider Paul Kruger as a mid-level FA for OLB. Actually that might be the better of the two deals.

It's tough as hell to get a dominate 5 Tech, a la JJ Watt, even someone like Justin Smith creates for others. I can always find another edge rusher ...

Imagine that, Burris and Avril with Lotulelei, have Houston to push the pocket (maybe even Melton), add in Quanterus Smith for that "Aldon Smith" like role ... the offensive line could only block so many ...

To be honest I go back and forth on Star or Jarvis.

#3 overall

(1) Jarvis Jones - 3-4 rush OLB // Star Lotulelei - 5 Tech & 0 Tech DE/NT // Dee Milliner - Press Man CB
    (2) n/a
    (3) Will Davis CB - Utah St / Mike Gillislee RB - Florida / DJ Swearinger SS - S Carolina / Brian Winters OT - Kent St
    (4) P Thomas SS - Fresno St / J Bostic - LB - Florida / L McFadden CB - SD St / Trevardo Williams OLB - UCONN
    (5) Quanterus Smith 3-4 OLB - WKU / Brandon Williams - NT/DE - Missouri So.St / R Burkhead RB - Nebraska
    (6) Tanner Hawkinson - OT/OG - Kansas (zbs) // Darius Johnson - WR - SMU // Zach Boren - ILB - Ohio St.
    (7) Nick Florence - QB - Baylor / R Rouse - RB - Fresno St / Zach Line - RB - SMU / Tobias Palmer - WR - NCSU
    (7) Nigel Malone - CB - Kansas St. // Dri Archer - WR/RB - Kent St. // Dexter McCoil - FS - Tulsa

U:
    Greg Blair - Banger ILB - Cincinnati (260 lbs LB)
    John Boyett - SS - Oregon (crossover ability to play FS)
    Marquis Jackson - 4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB - Portland St.
    Chris McDonald - OG - Michigan St. (zbs)
    Taimi Tutogi - H-Back / FB - Arizona (athletic pass catcher and blocker)
    Greg Hardin - WR (Z & Y) - North Dakota
    Phillip Steward - LB - Houston (coverage LB, OLB)
    Joe Kruger - DE - Utah (5 Tech, rush DE, more 1 gap)
    Dave Kruger - DE - Utah (5 Tech & 0 Tech, more 2 gap)

^ I could talk about any of the draft prospects above, but I've written a lot already.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DustInTheWind View Post
    Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
    Kiper's 2013 draft top 5: 1) Matt Barkley 2) Logan Thomas 3) LSU DE Barkevious Mingo 4) Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones 5) NC St CB David Amerson.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
    Amerson is interesting case. Ton of picks last season, listed at 6'3/194. But Amerson can't run a lick. Legit slow. Expect lots of debate.
    Wow, Kiper's Top 5...Only one player is still there, Jarvis Jones...that is a testament to his consistent play, he is going to be a thoroughbred pass rusher in the NFL. He could be the best pickup for us, who knows.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderAg View Post
    Wow, Kiper's Top 5...Only one player is still there, Jarvis Jones...that is a testament to his consistent play, he is going to be a thoroughbred pass rusher in the NFL. He could be the best pickup for us, who knows.
    Crazy, huh? Shows how easily and quickly you can fall from the top.

If Jones' medical issues check out and he's sitting there I think he could be a great pick. In a 4-3 he could assume a Von Miller type role and in a 3-4 he'd easily be one of the top pass rushers in a few years. I think like Joeckel, Jones, could be a popular trade up target in the first few picks of the draft.

RaiderfanCT is offline Limited Membership
    Starter

Late Night Post College Games Mock Draft

I know I shouldn't drink and mock, but hey, it's America and all.

Raiders picking 3rd overall. Trade back to the 8-12 range for 2nd and 4th round picks. Trade Rolando McClain for a 6th round pick. 5th and 7th compensation picks. 7th round pick from Carolina for Murphy. Transition to a 3-4 defense.

Round 1 - Anthony Barr - DE/OLB - UCLA
    Freak athlete, raw pass rusher, enormous upside
    Round 2 - Tony Jefferson - S - Oklahoma
    Extremely high football I.Q. which allows him to play over his athleticism
    Round 3 - Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford
    Tough in the box defender
    Round 4 - Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State
    Former WR with good cover skills
    Round 4 - Brandon Williams - DT - Southern Missouri State
    Big, strong, and still athletic enough to play any of the d-line positions
    Round 5 - Ryan Otten - TE - San Jose State
    Tall and athletic TE with developing blocking skills. Good red zone target
    Round 6 - Devin Taylor - DE - South Carolina
    Solid rotational end in run stopping situations. Lacks any pass rush
    Round 6 - John Wetzel - OT - Boston College
    Raw RT prospect with great size
    Round 7 - Montori Hughes - NT - Tennessee-Martin
    NT depth
    Round 7 - Greg Blair - ILB - Cincinnati
    Tough in the box run defender. I might have a type
    Round 7 - Blaize Foltz - OG - TCU
    Tough run blocker with good size.

QB - Carson Palmer
    RB - Darren McFadden
    FB - Marcel Reese
    WR - Denarius Moore
    WR - Darrius Heyward-Bey
    TE - David Ausberry/Ryan Otten
    LT - Jared Veldheer
    LG - FA Pickup/Blaize Foltz
    C - Stefan Wisniewski
    RG - Mike Brisiel
    RT - Tony Bergstrom

DE - Lamarr Houston
    NT - Brandon Williams
    DE - Richard Seymour/Christo Bilukidi
    OLB - Anthony Barr
    ILB - Phillip Wheeler
    ILB - Shayne Skov
    OLB - Miles Burris
    CB - Leon McFadden
    FS - Tony Jefferson
    SS - Tyvon Branch
    CB - Michael Huff

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

http://nflsfuture.com/

1. Kansas City Chiefs- Geno Smith QB West Virginia

Because as things stand, the Chiefs don’t have much of a choice in the matter.

The runner-up: Star Lotulelei

2. Jacksonville Jaguars- Star Lotulelei DT Utah

Forget about Jason Babin; adding a pass-rusher should still be batting leadoff in Jacksonville’s to-do list. Babin is perfectly fine if you want an old guy with drawn-on eyebrows who is a welcome mat vs. the run, and is only effective in a Wide-9 scheme coached by Jim Washburn. Beyond that, he’s garbage. However, I’m guessing that the Jags make a run at a free agent pass-rusher like Michael Johnson, Cliff Avril, or Osi Umenyiora (all raised in the southeast region), and/or give Andre Branch another season to develop. So it’s on to the interior D-line.

Terrance Knighton has one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel. Lotulelei is a relatively safe pick who could fill the need for a dominant, defensive anchor.

The runner-up: Bjoern Werner DE/OLB Florida State

3. Oakland Raiders- Manti Te’o ILB Notre Dame

By replacing Rolando McClain with Te’o, Reggie McKenzie would be doing much more than simply filling an obvious need; he would be taking a huge step out from the shadow of Al Davis, and another huge step toward redefining the Raider persona. This is one of those, “so perfect that it probably won’t happen” scenarios.

The runner-up: Bjoern Werner DE/OLB Florida State

4. Cleveland Browns- Bjoern Werner DE/OLB Florida State

San Diego may be interested in jumping ahead of the Eagles and Panthers to grab Luke Joeckel, so this could be a prime “trade down” spot…but it’s way too early to open up that can of worms. For now, the Browns go with nation’s sack leader (13) to energize the pass rush.

The runner-up: Damontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A & M

5. Philadelphia Eagles- Luke Joeckel OT Texas A & M

Jason Peters should be good to go in 2013, but at 31 years old and at $10.4 million, will the new Philadelphia regime want him around during the infancy of the rebuilding process? I’m guessing that if Joeckel is available to the Eagles, Peters is history.

Jarvis Jones stock dropping? He is not even in the top 5 in this new mock

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrific View Post
    Jarvis Jones stock dropping? He is not even in the top 5 in this new mock
    Yes and no. I think Jones is best suited for a 3-4 OLB pass rush specialist and none of those top 5 teams are playing a 3-4 currently.

RaiderfanCT is offline Limited Membership
    Starter

Post Week 13 Mock Draft

Raiders currently sitting at #3 overall. Trade down twice in the first round to the late-teens. Acquire a 2nd, 3rd, and two 4th round picks. 5th and 7th from compensation. 6th from Rolando McClain. 7th from Louis Murphy. 4-3 base defense.

2013 Mock Draft

Round 1 - Alex Okafor - DE - Texas
    Strong pass rusher with versatile skills.
    Round 2 - Gerald Hodges - OLB - Penn State
    Solid 3-down LB.
    Round 3 - Brian Winters - OT - Kent State
    Good size, dominated his competition.
    Round 3 - Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State
    Former WR turned solid man cover corner
    Big, Strong, and Athletic. Versatile in being able to play up and down the line
    Round 4 - Omoregie Uzzi - OG - Georgia Tech
    Solid athleticism and ability to fit in a ZBS
    Round 4 - D.J. Swearinger - FS - South Carolina
    Team leader and rangy FS
    Round 5 - A.J. Klein - ILB - Iowa State
    Tough nosed ILB
    OT depth with starting potential
    Round 6 - Darius Slay - CB - Mississippi State
    Starts opposite Banks so plenty of experience, good size and skill
    Round 7 - Ryan Griffen - TE - Connecticut
    Solid all around TE
    Round 7 - Blaize Foltz - G - TCU
    Tough nosed run blocker
    Round 7 - Larry Webster - DE - Bloomsberg
    Lottery ticket pass rusher with only one year of football. physical freak

2014 Mock Draft

Round 1 - Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Louisville
    Good arm skills, football I.Q., athleticism, and leadership. Franchise QB
    Round 2 - Ka'Deem Carey - RB - Arizona
    RB with 3 down potential, solid receiver out of the backfield
    Round 3 - Will Sutton - DE/DT - Arizona State
    Tough interior pass rusher who may need to move to end due to size
    Round 4 - Tharold Simon - CB - LSU
    Great sized ball hawk.
    Round 5 - Tom Wort - OLB/ILB - Oklahoma
    LB with 3 down potential. ST Depth
    Round 6 - Isiah Lewis - S - Michigan State
    DB and ST depth
    Round 7 - Joe Kruger - DE/DT - Utah
    Tough run defender

QB - Teddy Bridgewater
    RB - Ka'Deem Carey
    FB - Marcel Reese
    WR - Denarius Moore
    WR - Juron Criner/Rod Streater
    TE - Ryan Griffen
    LT - Jared Veldheer
    LG - Tony Bergstrom
    C - Stefan Wisniewski
    RG - Omoregie Uzzi
    RT - Brian Winters

DE - Alex Okafor
    DT - Brandon Williams
    DT - Lamarr Houston
    DE - Will Sutton
    OLB - Gerald Hodges
    ILB - Phillip Wheler/A.J. Klein
    OLB - Miles Burris
    CB - Michael Huff/Tharold Simon
    FS - D.J. Swearinger
    SS - Tyvon Branch
    CB - Leon McFadden

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderfanCT View Post
    Raiders currently sitting at #3 overall. Trade down twice in the first round to the late-teens. Acquire a 2nd, 3rd, and two 4th round picks. 5th and 7th from compensation. 6th from Rolando McClain. 7th from Louis Murphy. 4-3 base defense.

2013 Mock Draft

Round 1 - Alex Okafor - DE - Texas
    Strong pass rusher with versatile skills.
    Round 2 - Gerald Hodges - OLB - Penn State
    Solid 3-down LB.
    Round 3 - Brian Winters - OT - Kent State
    Good size, dominated his competition.
    Round 3 - Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State
    Former WR turned solid man cover corner
    Big, Strong, and Athletic. Versatile in being able to play up and down the line
    Round 4 - Omoregie Uzzi - OG - Georgia Tech
    Solid athleticism and ability to fit in a ZBS
    Round 4 - D.J. Swearinger - FS - South Carolina
    Team leader and rangy FS
    Round 5 - A.J. Klein - ILB - Iowa State
    Tough nosed ILB
    OT depth with starting potential
    Round 6 - Darius Slay - CB - Mississippi State
    Starts opposite Banks so plenty of experience, good size and skill
    Round 7 - Ryan Griffen - TE - Connecticut
    Solid all around TE
    Round 7 - Blaize Foltz - G - TCU
    Tough nosed run blocker
    Round 7 - Larry Webster - DE - Bloomsberg
    Lottery ticket pass rusher with only one year of football. physical freak

2014 Mock Draft

Round 1 - Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Louisville
    Good arm skills, football I.Q., athleticism, and leadership. Franchise QB
    Round 2 - Ka'Deem Carey - RB - Arizona
    RB with 3 down potential, solid receiver out of the backfield
    Round 3 - Will Sutton - DE/DT - Arizona State
    Tough interior pass rusher who may need to move to end due to size
    Round 4 - Tharold Simon - CB - LSU
    Great sized ball hawk.
    Round 5 - Tom Wort - OLB/ILB - Oklahoma
    LB with 3 down potential. ST Depth
    Round 6 - Isiah Lewis - S - Michigan State
    DB and ST depth
    Round 7 - Joe Kruger - DE/DT - Utah
    Tough run defender

QB - Teddy Bridgewater
    RB - Ka'Deem Carey
    FB - Marcel Reese
    WR - Denarius Moore
    WR - Juron Criner/Rod Streater
    TE - Ryan Griffen
    LT - Jared Veldheer
    LG - Tony Bergstrom
    C - Stefan Wisniewski
    RG - Omoregie Uzzi
    RT - Brian Winters

DE - Alex Okafor
    DT - Brandon Williams
    DT - Lamarr Houston
    DE - Will Sutton
    OLB - Gerald Hodges
    ILB - Phillip Wheler/A.J. Klein
    OLB - Miles Burris
    CB - Michael Huff/Tharold Simon
    FS - D.J. Swearinger
    SS - Tyvon Branch
    CB - Leon McFadden
    I like the idea, and your draft, but I think you are selling a little short for the #3 overall pick. According to the trade value chart the difference between the #3 and say the #18 overall pick is 1300 points. A 2nd, 3rd, and 2 4ths do not make up that difference. Without including future picks a trade from #10 to #3 would cost a team their entire draft according to the point chart. I think the other teams would have to throw in some future picks to make it more even. Like this....

Trade back to #10
    p3 = p10 + p42 + f2 + f3
    Then back to #13
    p10 = p13 + p109 + f3
    Then back to #18
    p13 = p18 + p114

So your 2013 draft would basically be the same, just with out the extra 3rd round pick, but we would add the future 2nd and two future 3rds for 2014 which would make it look like this...

round 1
    round 2
    round 2
    round 3
    round 3
    round 3
    round 4
    round 5
    round 6
    round 7

With the infusion of young players and still limited salary cap I expect us to still be near the top of the draft in 2014. If so we would have 7 top 100 picks. That is plenty of ammunition to go get the players we want... maybe a Clowney? Or maybe stand firm and take our 5 top 120 picks from 2013 and our 7 top 100 picks in 2014. That is a ton of really good young talent. And all on their cheap rookie contracts, which will help as we get out from under the rest of this dead money.

Side note... I just started playing around with the trade value chart yesterday, but this is pretty fun dreaming up scenarios and seeing what we would get as compensation. I guess I gotta do my dreaming somewhere... lord knows this season doesn't put a smile on my face.

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Well I guess I need to take a crack at this...

After doing some reading I think our most viable trade scenario involves us getting the #3 pick just ahead of the Panthers and the Eagles as both are rumored to be coveting the top tackle in the draft. Oddly enough if the season ended today the draft order would go us, Eagles, Panthers. This creates an interesting little scenario where the Panthers would need to get in front of the Eagles to get the man they want, which should be fine by us as we would only drop 2 spots and in return we would gain the #37 overall pick. We may have to throw in the #163 pick to make the math work better, but really who cares? Drop 2 spots to move up 126 spots? That's a no brainer.

Dream scenario would be us still being at #3, Eagles and panthers being right behind us, and the Rams (currently slotted at #15) losing a couple games and having the #10 pick while the Redskins stay about where they are (around the #17-18 range). The Rams are also rumored to be very interested in the top tackle. Since the Rams own the Redskins pick they have #10 + #18 and guess where the only place where 10+18=3? That's right... the NFL draft. #3 is 2200pts while #10 is 1300 and #18 is 900. The math works perfect. Alas, this is but a dream...

So I'm going to go with the top scenario. Where we trade down to #5 and pick up the #37 overall pick. Then the 5th and 7th comp picks everyone else is using and the 7th for murphy.
    Round 1
    Manti Te'o MLB

I'm on the fence about Te'o. I love EVERYTHING I hear about him, but I do have to pause when anyone in the media talks about a Notre Dame player. I'm putting him here because he really does sound like the kind of player that Mckenzie would fall in love with.
    option B
    Star, or Jonathan Hankins... we sorely need an anchor on our defense.... anywhere. If we can address that with this pick I will be happy.

Round 2
    Xavier Rhodes CB FSU

Pick up our second defensive starter here. Big physical corner that seemed to up his game against top competition.
    Option B
    I have seen some mocks that have Tyler Wilson falling in this range. If so he is my choice over Xavier, but I don't think it will happen. Wilson is the only QB in this class that I have any faith in becoming a good pro. Other than that I would hope that Jessie Williams would fall this far.

Round 3
    Kyle Long OT Oregon

We finally get our Long decedent. Really this almost sets up too perfect to be true. Howie's boy in a middle round at a position of great need...
    Option B
    Tony Jefferson S oklahoma or Travis Fredrick OG/OC Wisconsin. Both would fill needs as at least quality depth.

Round 4
    Leon McFadden CB SDSU

Well... There's 3 defensive starters in 4 picks. I know others have him going higher, but the draft rankings I am going by have him rated at 107 and this pick is #99 overall. Hopefully we could get two starting corners in this draft.
    Option B Bacarri Rambo FS UGA... Still need help in the secondary

Round 5
    Omoregie Uzzi OG Ga Tech

Tough guy... need more toughness in the run game. Oh, and we need more O line depth

Round 5 Comp
    Margus Hunt DE SMU

6'7" 280 lbs and Named the No. 1 athletic "freak" in college football by CBSSports.com. I'm sure we can find a spot for you somewhere.

Round 6
    To Panthers in initial trade

Round 7
    Manase Foketi OT KSU

More oline depth... Let's see, LB, CB, CB, OT, OT, OG. I'm sensing areas of weakness

Round 7 trade for Murphy
    Anothony White DT MSU

Biiiiiiiiig Boy.

Round 7 comp
    Quinn Sharp K/P Oklahoma State

My personal favorite pick, and probably more wishful thinking than anything. In 4 years he has been All American punter and All American kicker. Multiple times he has been on both the Ray Guy and Lou Groza award semi finalist list and has lead the nation in kickoffs for touch backs for the past 3 seasons. Love ya Jano and Lech, but your contracts are expensive and a round 7 comp pick is cheap. He might not be able to do everything that you do, but we would definatley get more bang for the buck!

And that concludes my efforts. This was definitely harder and a lot more thinking than I initially wanted to put into this. I'm sure I'll attempt something again, but not until we are closer to the draft or at least when we know the draft order for sure.
    Monkz likes this.

Ratim is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedSnB View Post
    Round 7 comp

My personal favorite pick, and probably more wishful thinking than anything. In 4 years he has been All American punter and All American kicker. Multiple times he has been on both the Ray Guy and Lou Groza award semi finalist list and has lead the nation in kickoffs for touch backs for the past 3 seasons. Love ya Jano and Lech, but your contracts are expensive and a round 7 comp pick is cheap. He might not be able to do everything that you do, but we would definatley get more bang for the buck!

And that concludes my efforts. This was definitely harder and a lot more thinking than I initially wanted to put into this. I'm sure I'll attempt something again, but not until we are closer to the draft or at least when we know the draft order for sure.
    Can't see Sharp dropping to the 7th. Also if you use him as a punter & kicker, although you save money and free a roster spot, if he goes down with an injury you have neither a punter or kicker for the rest of the game and then need to find a punter & kicker in the free market if it's long term.

lebedeff is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedSnB View Post
    Well I guess I need to take a crack at this...

After doing some reading I think our most viable trade scenario involves us getting the #3 pick just ahead of the Panthers and the Eagles as both are rumored to be coveting the top tackle in the draft. Oddly enough if the season ended today the draft order would go us, Eagles, Panthers. This creates an interesting little scenario where the Panthers would need to get in front of the Eagles to get the man they want, which should be fine by us as we would only drop 2 spots and in return we would gain the #37 overall pick. We may have to throw in the #163 pick to make the math work better, but really who cares? Drop 2 spots to move up 126 spots? That's a no brainer.

Dream scenario would be us still being at #3, Eagles and panthers being right behind us, and the Rams (currently slotted at #15) losing a couple games and having the #10 pick while the Redskins stay about where they are (around the #17-18 range). The Rams are also rumored to be very interested in the top tackle. Since the Rams own the Redskins pick they have #10 + #18 and guess where the only place where 10+18=3? That's right... the NFL draft. #3 is 2200pts while #10 is 1300 and #18 is 900. The math works perfect. Alas, this is but a dream...

So I'm going to go with the top scenario. Where we trade down to #5 and pick up the #37 overall pick. Then the 5th and 7th comp picks everyone else is using and the 7th for murphy.
    Round 1
    Manti Te'o MLB

I'm on the fence about Te'o. I love EVERYTHING I hear about him, but I do have to pause when anyone in the media talks about a Notre Dame player. I'm putting him here because he really does sound like the kind of player that Mckenzie would fall in love with.
    option B
    Star, or Jonathan Hankins... we sorely need an anchor on our defense.... anywhere. If we can address that with this pick I will be happy.

Round 2
    Xavier Rhodes CB FSU

Pick up our second defensive starter here. Big physical corner that seemed to up his game against top competition.
    Option B
    I have seen some mocks that have Tyler Wilson falling in this range. If so he is my choice over Xavier, but I don't think it will happen. Wilson is the only QB in this class that I have any faith in becoming a good pro. Other than that I would hope that Jessie Williams would fall this far.

Round 3
    Kyle Long OT Oregon

We finally get our Long decedent. Really this almost sets up too perfect to be true. Howie's boy in a middle round at a position of great need...
    Option B
    Tony Jefferson S oklahoma or Travis Fredrick OG/OC Wisconsin. Both would fill needs as at least quality depth.

Round 4
    Leon McFadden CB SDSU

Well... There's 3 defensive starters in 4 picks. I know others have him going higher, but the draft rankings I am going by have him rated at 107 and this pick is #99 overall. Hopefully we could get two starting corners in this draft.
    Option B Bacarri Rambo FS UGA... Still need help in the secondary

Round 5
    Omoregie Uzzi OG Ga Tech

Tough guy... need more toughness in the run game. Oh, and we need more O line depth

Round 5 Comp
    Margus Hunt DE SMU

6'7" 280 lbs and Named the No. 1 athletic "freak" in college football by CBSSports.com. I'm sure we can find a spot for you somewhere.

Round 6
    To Panthers in initial trade

Round 7
    Manase Foketi OT KSU

More oline depth... Let's see, LB, CB, CB, OT, OT, OG. I'm sensing areas of weakness

Round 7 trade for Murphy
    Anothony White DT MSU

Biiiiiiiiig Boy.

Round 7 comp

only problem with this draft is Seattle has our 5th round pick because of the curry trade last yr. And we never gave the panthers our 6th round
    RaiderAg likes this.

AG8A is offline Limited Membership
    Starter

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report) 7 Rd Mock draft

Interesting picks to say the least.

Rd 1: ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

The on and off-field issues of linebacker Rolando McClain will force the Oakland Raiders into looking long and hard at middle linebacker Manti Te'o, but what they'll find is the Notre Dame prospect doesn't just have better character, he's a better football player.

Te'o is a Heisman trophy finalist, and my pick as the winner, he's been at the top of his game for the last two seasons at South Bend, doing things that linebackers simply don't do. He's totalled seven interceptions in the 2012 season, showing off his vision, instincts and agility. He's been a force between the hashes, too.

Te'o has some flaws, like all prospects, but he's one of the safest picks in the entire 2013 class. That's what the Raiders need right now. Leadership and class.
    Rd 3: Ryan Nassib QB - Syracuse

Rd 4: Devin Taylor DE - South Carolina

Rd 6: Montee Ball RB - Wisconsin

Rd 7: Anthony Rashad White DT - Michigan State

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungLegend View Post
    The 34 OLB's and OLB's in general are gonna be stacked in 2013
    We will probably pick the one that busts.

lebedeff is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by AG8A View Post
    Interesting picks to say the least.

Rd 1: ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

Rd 3: Ryan Nassib QB - Syracuse

Rd 4: Devin Taylor DE - South Carolina

Rd 6: Montee Ball RB - Wisconsin

Rd 7: Anthony Rashad White DT - Michigan State
    thats a high pick for a qb and not sure we need a qb this yr. with your 6th rounder I think that is too far down in the draft for Ball to get picked. I see him as at least a 3rd rounder

AG8A is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by lebedeff View Post
    thats a high pick for a qb and not sure we need a qb this yr. with your 6th rounder I think that is too far down in the draft for Ball to get picked. I see him as at least a 3rd rounder
    Not my mock draft. Matt Miller's from Bleacher Report (see title). The Raiders taking a QB is the 3rd makes me cringe lol.

Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information