Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Mallett = Ryan Leaf part deux??

Chairman of the Board

Ryan Mallett = Ryan Leaf part deux??

Character Concern: Ryan Mallett (updated) | NFL Draft Monsters

We’ve all seen the jaw dropping throws, and the ridiculous numbers Ryan Mallett has put up the past couple of years at Arkansas under Bobby Petrino. Now sources inside the Arkansas program are shedding some light on the rumors that Mallett has substance abuse problems.

NFL Draft Monsters has a policy of not publishing a story without two independent confirmations. We were approached this week, by a source inside the Arkansas program who told us the he has personally witnessed Mallett use both marijuana, and cocaine. This corroborates an account given to us a few months back, that we had been unable to substantiate.

Both sources spoke on the condition of anonymity, and NFL Draft Monsters has a policy of not compensating sources in any way for stories.

An email sent to the University of Arkansas requesting comment has not been returned at this time.

We will bring you more as this story develops.

UPDATE: Ryan Mallett has denied these allegations through a reporter in Northwest Arkansas. We at NFL Draft Monsters are standing behind this report, however, and we will continue to follow this story as it develops.
    You are correct, and I did say that, however I have more information than what I have released so far. I was only able to substantiate, with multiple accounts giving specific corroborating detail, what I have posted so far.

The persons who have spoken to me aren’t random people either, they are within the Arkansas athletic program.

If you choose not to believe this report, I completely understand, however I can assure you that I am in no way lying, nor do I have even the slightest agenda against Ryan Mallett, or the University of Arkansas both of which I have been and am a fan of.

I am simply attempting to shed light on something that has been whispered at around the internet. I put the leg work in in attempting to acquire the details, more and more of which are coming out daily.

Hall of Famer
    It's hard for me to believe that either Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton will have much success in the NFL. I think Newton would be a better pick for a team based on his athleticism. I might be wrong but, an NFL playbook is probably going to extremely overwhelm both of them.
    Somewhere in the 2011 draft there will be a QB who has a decent NFL career. It may come from a late draft pick.
    I would hate to have a need for a QB this draft. There are only a few that I would take a chance on. Not one of the QB's in the 2011 draft can come in and lead a team from the start.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

Winston Churchill

Dapper Don is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    This guy would scare me to death if I was a GM looking to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds. I don't know what it is, but Mallett just screams draft bust to me. His sluggish demeanor and attitude on the field, his interceptions at the worst possible time in a game, his character concerns, his shaky accuracy, and to me, he just doesn't seem very intelligent both on or off the field.

Now there's this coming out about weed and yayo use........wow, this just keeps getting worse for Mallet's case. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if this guy ends up falling all the way to the 3rd or 4th round.

gohogs is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Don View Post
    This guy would scare me to death if I was a GM looking to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds. I don't know what it is, but Mallett just screams draft bust to me. His sluggish demeanor and attitude on the field, his interceptions at the worst possible time in a game, his character concerns, his shaky accuracy, and to me, he just doesn't seem very intelligent both on or off the field.

Now there's this coming out about weed and yayo use........wow, this just keeps getting worse for Mallet's case. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if this guy ends up falling all the way to the 3rd or 4th round.
    he wont fall that far, teams will fall in love with his arm strength and size and he will be a 1st rounder

i think people are blowing the character concerns out of proportion. i have heard people say that he is a douche but so is philip rivers. remember they said dmac had character concerns too

i dont get why someone would draft newton ahead of him when newton played in a gimmicky offense with a senior laden OL vs. mallett who played in a pro style and called his own audibles at the LOS but thats just me

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gohogs View Post
    he wont fall that far, teams will fall in love with his arm strength and size and he will be a 1st rounder

i think people are blowing the character concerns out of proportion. i have heard people say that he is a douche but so is philip rivers. remember they said dmac had character concerns too

i dont get why someone would draft newton ahead of him when newton played in a gimmicky offense with a senior laden OL vs. mallett who played in a pro style and called his own audibles at the LOS but thats just me
    Actually the character concerns in regards to McFadden leading up to the 2008 draft were very minor and not near the level they are with Mallett. With Dmac it was more stability and lower body issues as the knock. And judging by your handle of "gohogs", I'm thinking you're not coming to the table with a non-biased opinion here. With that said, the character concerns and maturity issues relating to Mallett are very real. Yes the kid is tall and has a cannon for an arm............but so did JaMarcus Russell..........sooo...........draw your own conclusions. It's obvious you think more highly of Mallett than I do, so in this case we'll have to agree to disagree. I still wouldn't touch the guy with a 10 foot pole if I was a GM, and I'm not the only one.

blah_blah is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Paterino QB
    enough said.. Paterino can make any QB look like super stars
    Mallett just happens to be 6'7 and has a rocket arm. Other than that he stinks.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Don View Post
    Actually the character concerns in regards to McFadden leading up to the 2008 draft were very minor and not near the level they are with Mallett. With Dmac it was more stability and lower body issues as the knock. And judging by your handle of "gohogs", I'm thinking you're not coming to the table with a non-biased opinion here. With that said, the character concerns and maturity issues relating to Mallett are very real. Yes the kid is tall and has a cannon for an arm............but so did JaMarcus Russell..........sooo...........draw your own conclusions. It's obvious you think more highly of Mallett than I do, so in this case we'll have to agree to disagree. I still wouldn't touch the guy with a 10 foot pole if I was a GM, and I'm not the only one.
    im still going to wait until i hear something official come out before i judge anything. he has a much better work ethic than jamarcus...he spent all last summer watching tape from the previous season trying to get better

hes spending the time up until the draft working on his mobility and footwork. i just think he wants to win and do well

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by blah_blah View Post
    Paterino QB
    enough said.. Paterino can make any QB look like super stars
    Mallett just happens to be 6'7 and has a rocket arm. Other than that he stinks.
    the guy threw for over 7,000 yards in 2 seasons in the SEC and had less INTs than peyton manning did his last two years in the SEC...he was a 5 star recruit for a reason and showed flashes at michigan, which wasnt under petrino. dont see how he "stinks"

john7743 is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    the dude is a statue in the pocket terrible footwork and he is by all accounts dumb as a bag of hammers, so hes got rocket arm not much else to be honest jamarcus looked like a much better prospect then him

All-Pro
    hes not perfect but i dont see why some people have gabbert and locker ahead of him...makes no sense

and tom brady and peyton manning arent mobile either so i dont see what that has to do with anything

john7743 is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    hes not perfect but i dont see why some people have gabbert and locker ahead of him...makes no sense

and tom brady and peyton manning arent mobile either so i dont see what that has to do with anything
    They also have a quick accurate release and weren't system qbs

blah_blah is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    the guy threw for over 7,000 yards in 2 seasons in the SEC and had less INTs than peyton manning did his last two years in the SEC...he was a 5 star recruit for a reason and showed flashes at michigan, which wasnt under petrino. dont see how he "stinks"
    He showed flashes at Michigan?? 43.3% completion is showing flashes???
    the only reason he got a lot of buzz in Michigan was because he was a 5 star recruit and his rocket arm. He made a lot of dumb throws but people over looked that because he was a freshman and can rocket the ball down the field. I watched all those games as a Michigan fan when he went in for an injured Henne.

how many Petrino QBs even made it as a back up QB in the pros?

Stefan LeFors? He put up impressive numbers. Finished his senior with 73.5. He is 3rd in NCAA history.
    He had a ton of pre draft buzz till the combine when people actually saw his ability as a passer.
    What did he do in the pros? Not much.

Brian Brohm? He had great numbers in college even with injuries. A lot of people had him going in the first round, which he was later drafted in the 2nd round. He didn't even make the team after his rookie season and was traded.

Petrino's offense is incredibly QB friendly and QBs will put up great numbers. It's a spread and gives the QB a lot of options to go to. They don't have to make a lot of hard reads and definitely masks their weaknesses.
    If Mallett was able to do that in a pro style offense, no one would be questioning his abilities. Instead he was under a Petrino offense, which puts up great stats, but doesn't put out good pros. It's a lot like Mike Leach's offense back in Texas Tech. Mallett just happens to have a great size and a rocket arm to play in that offense. He sucks at being under the center and having to make play action passes. He sucks at being under center period.

and are you seriously comparing Mallett to Payton Manning??
    You know who had better numbers than Payton Manning while playing in the SEC?

You remember Andre Woodson from Kentucky? That kid had impressive numbers playing in the similar style of spread offense Petrino runs. Kid put up a ton of TDs and basically next to nothing in INT. You know what happened to Andre Woodson? He didn't even make the squad his rookie year and he got cut by an UFL team recently.

Tim Couch? Same Kentucky offense. Had GREAT numbers in college playing in SEC. He actually still holds some NCAA records. Even more impressive than Payton Manning. What did he do in the pros? Inconsistent and average at best. Never really could fully grasp that pro style.

You remember all those Florida QBs that Spurrier was pumping out with great college numbers? Didn't do jack in the pros.

He might turn out to be a good pro some day, but he does NOT warrant a 1st round pick like everyone seems to think he does. He will need to sit for couple years at least and grasp being under center and making reads. Petrino is great at making average players into good ones and Mallett's case a great athlete into having great numbers.

And oh yeah another comparison to Ryan Leaf..
    Washington State played a one back with multiple WRs.. the earlier version of the Spread.. while he played under center, it was more of a spread offense it is ran today.. which is mostly from shotgun... Leaf had inflated numbers from that offense. So inflated they played Michigan for the national title... which they lost.

and yes.. his off the field issues and lack of maturity which compares him to Ryan Leaf, even knocks him down further in draft value.

All-Pro
    ok first of all we do NOT run a spread. Petrino even says it is a pro-style with 2 TE formations and runs out of the I. we do sometimes split out into 5 WRs but who wouldnt with our WR corp? we ran the ball 30 times in the sugar bowl...if it was a leach offense youd see him throwing it 50 times a game

gabbert runs the spread and throws it more but people like him. funny.

people say he isnt mobile but guess what? his number of sacks taken are nearly identical to locker and gabbert

he has played against the best d-lines and secondaries in the country in the SEC

and how does he not have a good play action? he was known as having one of the best PA fakes in college football

also, brohm and lefors arent near a good enough sample size. thad be like saying because vince young and chris simms were busts, colt mccoy will automatically be one...it varies QB to QB

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by blah_blah View Post
    He showed flashes at Michigan?? 43.3% completion is showing flashes???
    the only reason he got a lot of buzz in Michigan was because he was a 5 star recruit and his rocket arm. He made a lot of dumb throws but people over looked that because he was a freshman and can rocket the ball down the field. I watched all those games as a Michigan fan when he went in for an injured Henne.

how many Petrino QBs even made it as a back up QB in the pros?

Stefan LeFors? He put up impressive numbers. Finished his senior with 73.5. He is 3rd in NCAA history.
    He had a ton of pre draft buzz till the combine when people actually saw his ability as a passer.
    What did he do in the pros? Not much.

Brian Brohm? He had great numbers in college even with injuries. A lot of people had him going in the first round, which he was later drafted in the 2nd round. He didn't even make the team after his rookie season and was traded.

Petrino's offense is incredibly QB friendly and QBs will put up great numbers. It's a spread and gives the QB a lot of options to go to. They don't have to make a lot of hard reads and definitely masks their weaknesses.
    If Mallett was able to do that in a pro style offense, no one would be questioning his abilities. Instead he was under a Petrino offense, which puts up great stats, but doesn't put out good pros. It's a lot like Mike Leach's offense back in Texas Tech. Mallett just happens to have a great size and a rocket arm to play in that offense. He sucks at being under the center and having to make play action passes. He sucks at being under center period.

and are you seriously comparing Mallett to Payton Manning??
    You know who had better numbers than Payton Manning while playing in the SEC?

You remember Andre Woodson from Kentucky? That kid had impressive numbers playing in the similar style of spread offense Petrino runs. Kid put up a ton of TDs and basically next to nothing in INT. You know what happened to Andre Woodson? He didn't even make the squad his rookie year and he got cut by an UFL team recently.

Tim Couch? Same Kentucky offense. Had GREAT numbers in college playing in SEC. He actually still holds some NCAA records. Even more impressive than Payton Manning. What did he do in the pros? Inconsistent and average at best. Never really could fully grasp that pro style.

You remember all those Florida QBs that Spurrier was pumping out with great college numbers? Didn't do jack in the pros.

He might turn out to be a good pro some day, but he does NOT warrant a 1st round pick like everyone seems to think he does. He will need to sit for couple years at least and grasp being under center and making reads. Petrino is great at making average players into good ones and Mallett's case a great athlete into having great numbers.

And oh yeah another comparison to Ryan Leaf..
    Washington State played a one back with multiple WRs.. the earlier version of the Spread.. while he played under center, it was more of a spread offense it is ran today.. which is mostly from shotgun... Leaf had inflated numbers from that offense. So inflated they played Michigan for the national title... which they lost.

and yes.. his off the field issues and lack of maturity which compares him to Ryan Leaf, even knocks him down further in draft value.

Excellent post.................end of thread.

All-Pro
    if people say he has character concerns then they cant want newton either

with his arrest today mitch mustain has more character concerns at this point than mallett

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information