Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Oher - helped by the hype, or the real deal????

Chairman of the Board

Michael Oher - helped by the hype, or the real deal????

Since last season he's been in almost everyone's top 10 draft picks for 2009, yet in recent weeks the questions have started to increase.

Does he have a learning disability?
    Teams will also test him out quite a bit in interviews and see how well he can pick up an offensive scheme at the pro level. Much was made of his upbringing as a child and his struggles to get his grades in order in high school in the book, “The Blind Side: The Evolution of a Game” by Michael Lewis.
    http://www.********************/2009...hael_oher.html

'The Blind Side: The Evolution of a Game' is a best-selling book that chronicles the life story of Oher, who grew up as one of 13 children of a drug-addicted mother and had limited formal education prior to signing with Ole Miss in 2005
    Here's what Oher himself had to say on the subject:
    Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?
    Michael Oher: 6-51/4, 315. No forty time yet.

Scott Wright: You were famously the subject of Michael Lewis’ best-selling book “The Blind Side”, which they are now making into a movie. What has that whole experience been like for you and has it been more of a blessing or a curse?
    Michael Oher: It’s definitely been more of a blessing and more good than bad.

Scott Wright: At this point do you think you’re better known for what you’ve done on the field at Ole Miss or from the book?
    Michael Oher: Definitely for what I’ve done at Ole Miss.

Scott Wright: Are there any misconceptions that people form about you based on reading the book that you would like to clear up?
    Michael Oher: None that I know of.

Scott Wright: Perhaps one of the biggest concerns when it comes to Michael Oher as a pro prospect is a potential learning disability that could hold you back a bit when it comes to absorbing an NFL offense. Can you talk about that a bit?
    Michael Oher: There is no issue. I learn everything fine and rarely miss an assignment. That’s really out the door and I have no trouble learning anything.
    Draft Countdown - Michael Oher Interview

And his athletic ability has been questioned by some.

Awareness - Has great experience at college football's highest level but he's still a work in progress. Generally knows his assignments but will be late picking up the blitz at times. Occasionally seems to be thinking rather than reacting.
    Agility - Shows adequate initial quickness when moving forward. Plays with adequate leverage and stays balanced. However, he is not an elite athlete for the position. The more space he's in the less effective his play becomes.
    ESPN - NFL - NFLDraftTracker

A lack of aggression though is still a knock on him

The one knock against Oher has been that he's not as physical as he should be. He'd rather pass block than get down and dirty on run plays. When new coach Houston Nutt took over last year, he set a goal for Oher to start roughing up the opponent.

"I think every scout that has come in has said that he is more physical, sees how much harder he is playing with the speed and the tempo at which he plays," Nutt said.
    Next big thing: Ole Miss' Oher ready for LSU, NFL - USATODAY.com

Long known as a finesse blocker with excellent footwork, Oher has gotten stronger in the weight room and has added some meanness to his game.
    Michael Oher | Mississippi, OT : 2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

And some places knock him even more:
    Oher is an enigma who looks every bit the part with long arms and natural strength and athletic ability that cannot be taught. After cycling through the foster system, he has had to deal with three different position coaches in four years and has had difficulty finding the stability and continuity needed to truly blossom. Shows the ability to knock defenders on their backs one play but can look completely disinterested the next. Has been coddled throughout college and could be challenged to handle the trappings of success that come with the NFL. Initially began his career inside at Ole Miss, where he had help on each side and could be better covered up, and some evaluators are convinced his best chance will come inside. Whether inside or outside, Oher will require some time to adapt to the pro game and possesses as much bust potential as any elite tackle in the draft.
    NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

More though, have him still rated as a possible FIRST overall.
    NFL scouts love how Oher is able to control the line of scrimmage with his hulking physical frame and excellent footwork. Such a lethal combination makes it almost impossible for defensive linemen to get around his pass protection. Oher's quick feet also make him a strong run blocker, as he is able to get to linebackers and neutralize their pursuit of the ball. He is capable of getting his 40 time into the low 5s. Scouts also have to like Oher's durability; the big man has had no injury problems whatsoever at Ole Miss. Depending on how the 2009 draft order shakes out, Oher's returning to school gives him a chance of becoming the No. 1 overall pick.
    Michael Oher Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

There are many people who are very high on Michael Oher, and with good reason. The Ole Miss left tackle is an outstanding pass blocker, and despite a difficult past he has turned into one of the nation's best college offensive linemen. Some people view Oher as the best offensive tackle prospect in the nation.
    2009 NFL Mock Draft - Draft King

The following is also a good read:
    Michael Oher, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

I'll leave the last quote up to Gil Brandt
    "I think he's on par with Jake Long and I think he's better than the other four who are starters in the NFL right now," Brandt said.

Yeah, he'll get scrutinized more than any other OT this draft.
    His background will mean he'll be interviewed specifically with that in mind.

But as a pro prospect?
    If Gil Brandt thinks he's that good, then its good enough for me.
    Lets just hope we get the opportunity to draft him because other teams have undergone paralysis by analysis.

Heart of Oak is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    Since last season he's been in almost everyone's top 10 draft picks for 2009, yet in recent weeks the questions have started to increase.

Does he have a learning disability?

http://www.********************/2009...hael_oher.html

Here's what Oher himself had to say on the subject:

Draft Countdown - Michael Oher Interview

And his athletic ability has been questioned by some.

ESPN - NFL - NFLDraftTracker

A lack of aggression though is still a knock on him

Michael Oher | Mississippi, OT : 2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

And some places knock him even more:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

More though, have him still rated as a possible FIRST overall.

Michael Oher Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

2009 NFL Mock Draft - Draft King

The following is also a good read:
    Michael Oher, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

I'll leave the last quote up to Gil Brandt

Yeah, he'll get scrutinized more than any other OT this draft.
    His background will mean he'll be interviewed specifically with that in mind.

But as a pro prospect?
    If Gil Brandt thinks he's that good, then its good enough for me.
    Lets just hope we get the opportunity to draft him because other teams have undergone paralysis by analysis.
    It is always difficult to know, every player has bust potential, and we all get so uptight about this because our favourite team is about to invest a multi-million dollar contract into the guy.

The problem when it comes to the draft is that, evaluators will add negatives in to their report, as no college player can be seen to be 'perfect' and just step seamlessly up into the pros, but more importantly it is a way to caveat their opinion so that if the guy busts they can say they 'did have some concerns'.

Evaluation of talent is a bit like a courtroom drama. The prosecutor wheels out an 'expert' who will give a damning view on events, and the defense lawyer will bring out another 'expert' who will completely contradict the first expert.

I can only go on the reel I see, and the reports I read, and Oher has generally impressed me.

Hall of Famer
    Oher will be more and more scrutinized as the draft approaches. it seems to be the case for most senior prospects. the problem that occurs is over-analysis. Oher could be subject to the dreaded term 'limited upside' since he's been at the top of most OL lists since early last year. Oher is a very good player and has everything it takes to be a franchise LT.

raiderofOregon is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    from what i've read Oher isn't quite quick enough to play LT, that he's just a half-step slow. This remains to be seen and more shall be revealed at the combine but if we're spending a top pick on a lineman i sure want to make sure that he can be a franchise type LT.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJack247 View Post
    Oher will be more and more scrutinized as the draft approaches. it seems to be the case for most senior prospects. the problem that occurs is over-analysis. Oher could be subject to the dreaded term 'limited upside' since he's been at the top of most OL lists since early last year. Oher is a very good player and has everything it takes to be a franchise LT.
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderofOregon View Post
    from what i've read Oher isn't quite quick enough to play LT, that he's just a half-step slow. This remains to be seen and more shall be revealed at the combine but if we're spending a top pick on a lineman i sure want to make sure that he can be a franchise type LT.
    Oher is one of those interesting prospects in that;

(a) Some say he has a limited upside, but at the same time could start straight away and be productive, though not dominant. For the Raiders this would be an upgrade.

or

(b) He could fall due to paralysis by analysis. Teams have had so much time to dissect his errors that his draft status falls. In which case, the Raiders should pounce. Even if he's just an average Left Tackle in the NFL he would be an upgrade over Kwame Harris.

At the same time though, you do have to ask yourself what OL scheme we should run next year and whether Oher fits it if he's available.

Slump is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    If the teams ahead of us are dumb enough to pass on him I'd gladly take him in silver and black. I like Andre Smith a little bit better but I'd be ecstatic if we got Oher.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Slump View Post
    If the teams ahead of us are dumb enough to pass on him I'd gladly take him in silver and black. I like Andre Smith a little bit better but I'd be ecstatic if we got Oher.
    The general consensus is that the best OTs in this draft are:

Andre Smith,
    Michael Oher,
    Jason Smith,
    Eugene Monroe.

With players like Ciron Black and Eben Britton in the mix, but possibly not going to declare.

Of the above four, any would be an upgrade over Kwame Harris. One will fall to us, possibly we'll have a choice of two.
    A.Smith and Oher are the best fits for the power game.
    J.Smith and Monroe are the better fits for the ZBS.

I'd take any of them.
    I think all will have long careers in the NFL.
    We're just lucky that its such a strong group when we need one most.

Chairman of the Board
    Here is what I've been looking for again.

Quite possibly the biggest surprise in the grade assigned to Mississippi tackle Michael Oher. Many consider Oher a top five selection in next April's draft but National Scouting disagrees and grades the blocker as a second round pick.
    TFY

To me that was bizarre, though it might explain why he returned for his senior year.

Chairman of the Board
    There's mixed opinions about the skill of Michael Oher but a majority of decision makers feel he's overrated at this point, as do many of those who played against him. He is expected to participate in the Senior Bowl and could change some minds.
    TFY

Chairman of the Board
    26. Michael Oher/OT/Mississippi: The athletic tackle has proven himself to be a terrific pass blocker the past three seasons but Oher's game has limitations.
    Tony Pauline: Top 45 2009 NFL Draft prospects six months out - NFL - SI.com

Chairman of the Board
    Now, let me get this straight here.
    I'm not knocking Oher before anyone starts having a go.
    What I'm pointing out is that he's not as equally highly regarded as many think.

Chairman of the Board
    Most of these players are overrated somewhat. Happens every year. We'll know more after the senior bowl in January. I remember last year Adarius Bowman was such a BEAST and was supposed to be the best WR in the class. He didn't even get drafted and is now in the CFL I believe.
    We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it, even my organization deserves it. You have to win and you have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl. That's our passion here. - Al Davis

Raiders NY is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    He will be overanalyzed by draft day I'm sure. Look at him play...the guy is good. If we draft him I will be happy. When Jamarcus has time to throw he can elevate the players around him. It's an injustice to not give him an O-line and let him develop the right way.

I would like to take Crabtree but we need to get a O-line together first and foremost.

Oher,Gallery and Grove(he has been playing well.) is a good start.

Henderson might be able to man the Rt spot and we still have Carsile at RG. If Oher and Henderson(who has played well in small stints) pan out and we let this group gel we have a pretty damn good O-line for Jamarcus.

There are alot of if's but if it happens it would great....

OTF
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders NY View Post
    Oher,Gallery and Grove(he has been playing well.) is a good start.

Henderson might be able to man the Rt spot and we still have Carsile at RG. If Oher and Henderson(who has played well in small stints) pan out and we let this group gel we have a pretty damn good O-line for Jamarcus.

There are alot of if's but if it happens it would great....
    Grove has played better but the problem is that the only season he played 16 games was in 2006, he gets hurt way too much and has been inconsistent. I want a LT (Oher, A. Smith, Monroe or J. Smith) and a center (Alex Mack)!

New LT, Gallery, Mack & whoever else will be a pretty damn good OLine...

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by OTF View Post
    Grove has played better but the problem is that the only season he played 16 games was in 2006, he gets hurt way too much and has been inconsistent. I want a LT (Oher, A. Smith, Monroe or J. Smith) and a center (Alex Mack)!

New LT, Gallery, Mack & whoever else will be a pretty damn good OLine...
    A lot of people are questioning Mack's tightness around the hips.
    They say he is stiff-hipped.

Think I read it at Profootballweekly...will check!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information