Thread: Cable stakes his claim

nsraiderfan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Cable stakes his claim

Cable stakes his claim - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers

I talked with one player this week in casual conversation who was making a case for Cable staying on, in part because of his ability to keep the team together “after Lane quit on us.”
    Pretty telling quote about what some players thought in the locker room.

Hall of Famer
    I've been on the Cable gravy train and will continue to be until a decision is made... I believe

ukiahraiderfan is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    "Lane quit on us" wonder if it was an O linemen?

Kakish is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Keep Cable!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakish View Post
    Keep Cable!
    I second!

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

eckerbecker is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    In defense of Cable:

1. He had to sort out the post-Davis-Kiffin mess, but that was forced upon him as the "interim" HC.

2. No HC experience prior to this one. On the job training since the first day "interim" was slapped onto his title. Not much to look forward within the rank of assistant coaches except for Schneider (ST).

3. Historically, mid-season coaching changes have resulted in unfavorable %. (I remember someone from one of the football news sites said something about this one after Week 5. According to his figures, it was roughly around 0.330.)

4. Inheriting "rookies" like Russell (2007 season does not count as he did not even show up for the training camp), Bush (2007 also does not count as he did not play throughout 2006-2007), McFadden (turf toe ... bloody darn!). But developing QB and RB have not been Cable's job in his previous stint as an O-line coach!

5. Overall: Not an enviable position for anyone.

GdaMac is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I wouldn't mind, but we would need to bring in a QB guru for OC. If we do go Cable, make the decision early.\

Quote Originally Posted by eckerbecker View Post
    2. No HC experience prior to this one. On the job training since the first day "interim" was slapped onto his title. Not much to look forward within the rank of assistant coaches except for Schneider (ST).
    Correction: No pro HC experience, Cable was a HC at Idaho for 2000-2003 (His record was 11-35, but it's probably hard to get the top recruits at Idaho)

Chiefhater is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    He's impressed me more than Kiffin did, and I liked Kiffin.

Not saying Cable will be the better coach in the long run, but this season I would say that he is better.

Kiffin did what he thought was best with limited talent, Cable believed that these guys could play and let them. I like Cable's approach better.

Scarface101 is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    proof that kiffin is a POS and was never the riite fit

eckerbecker is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by gdamac View Post
    I wouldn't mind, but we would need to bring in a QB guru for OC. If we do go Cable, make the decision early.
    Especially considering that Russell seriously needs an OC who knows how to groom and signal plays that would jibe with him. In that way, Cable can head-coach and let someone else take care of the QB details.
    Correction: No pro HC experience, Cable was a HC at Idaho for 2000-2003 (His record was 11-35, but it's probably hard to get the top recruits at Idaho)
    Thanks for the correction. I typed too fast. By the time I realized that I should have included "pro", you have already posted a reply!

John is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Things to consider...

-- We are literally a black hole for coaches. They come here to try to prove they can turn around a perennial loser into a playoff team, only to be shut down within a year or two by the big cheese upstairs. Thus, with the possible exception of Parcells, no respectable coaches will be interested in our [potential] HC vacancy.

-- Our record pre-Cable: 1-3
    -- Our record since Cable took over (week 5): 4-8

-- Cable has NO experience as a HC in the NFL
    -- His stint as a college HC was pretty ugly...
    -- Our offensive line has consistently been one of the worst in the league with him as OL coach

-- He hasn't done much in the way of establishing a set of goals or a "plan" for the future here.
    -- That said, it could be beneficial to JR to keep Cable, just so he doesn't have to adapt to a THIRD HC after just two years in the NFL.

-- BOTTOM LINE: consistency is KEY in developing JR. I do not think Cable is likely to do anything significantly positive for us even if given several years guaranteed. I want someone with a plan, someone who will not be Davis's lapdog if doing so has the potential to harm the team, someone who is a strict disciplinarian, someone who will address our problems rather than sweep them under the rug.

Too many of you guys ignore the team's problems, preferring to bask in the illusion of success brought on by small "victories" or bright spots from a few plays/players every week. This team is deep in it right now and we will be able to pull ourselves out of this mire of inadequacies until the management comes to face with this fact.

I'm willing to give Cable a chance, particularly since this is what Russell seems to want and we don't really have any better options (again, unless we can get Parcells). But I want to see some ACTION.

hellbound is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by nsraiderfan View Post
    About the whole casual conversation with a player that wanting Cable to stay........Davis said in his pc earlier, that he didnt care what players thought about the coach......so................

Thread Information