Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall, Walker cap hit

Hall of Famer

Hall, Walker cap hit

Hall, Walker costly against ‘09 cap - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers

Hall, Walker costly against ‘09 cap
    By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
    Friday, November 14th, 2008 at 11:41 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders are not only out $20 million in actual dollars for the 16 games played by DeAngelo Hall and Javon Walker, but will also see both players take up a good chunk of salary cap space in 2009.

With Hall having been waived, the Raiders will have $5.833,334 in “dead money” under the 2009 cap, according to league figures.

Walker, who underwent surgery Friday to have two screws interseted in his ankle, might end up sticking around for at least another year simply to avoid the bonus acceleration that would come with his release.

According to the wording of his contract, “Club agrees that it will pay Player the Roster Bonus despite the fact that, Player, due to an injury suffered while practicing or playing with Club in the immediate prior contract year.”

That essentially guarantees the Raiders will have to pay a $5 million bonus, unless they want to argue that Walker has completely recovered from surgery and is healthy. That road could be perilous. Players for the most part don’t care if Al Davis occasionally battles with coaches over money.

But after the Hall contract dump, if the Raiders were to attempt to skirt an injury guarantee, Davis’ reputation as a player’s owner would take a huge hit.

There is already some grumbling among agents that they will attempt to convince their clients not to go to Oakland. The same grumbling existed last year, and it didn’t matter because the Raiders were throwing money around and both players and agents were only to glad to take it in the form of bonuses and commissions.

The landscape could change if the perception of dysfunction carries over to the matter of actual dollars in the pockets of the players.

Assuming the Raiders pay the $5 millon bonus and make good on the injury guarantee, Walker’s salary cap figure will be $10,833,333, including $4 million in salary.

Should Oakland pay the guarantee as stipulated and then cut Walker, the 2009 cap charge $14,166,667 to terminate the relationship. Combined with the Hall dead money, that’s $20 million in dead money.

The Raiders could also attempt to get Walker to take less money, as done in the past with players such as LaMont Jordan who didn’t play up to their contract standards. Walker would be under no obligation to do so and would be made aware by his agent of the bind the Raiders would be in should he be waived.

The 2009 cap has not been set, but was $116 million in 2008 and has risen $7 million in each of the last two years.
    – “We accomplished nothing in any aspect of football". Pete Carroll

-"Do not post **** like that and disrespect me." Terrelle Pryor

FinNasty23 is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    God, what a horrible offseason for you guys this year. Did Kiffin have his fingerprints on this stuff too? Or was it all Al?

And what is the deal w/ Tommy Kelly? There was rumor that he was going to be let go too. Any substance to that?

Hall of Famer
    Ouch!

Hall of Famer
    Maybe we'll be lucky enough that Javon will re-offer to retire.

HOFBoundBrown is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Anyone know what the NFL does if we have a negative cap due to releasing all the sorry players we signed?

Chiefhater is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    How long until we get high draft picks refusing to come here like Eli Manning did with Chargers?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HOFBoundBrown View Post
    Anyone know what the NFL does if we have a negative cap due to releasing all the sorry players we signed?
    They won't be taking away any trophies, that's for sure.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by FinNasty23 View Post
    And what is the deal w/ Tommy Kelly? There was rumor that he was going to be let go too. Any substance to that?

I believe they looked into it but it would have also been a big cap hit.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please
    M Twain

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    M Twain

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ekgraider View Post
    I believe they looked into it but it would have also been a big cap hit.
    How has he performed this year? I'm assuming he has struggled?

8485 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefhater View Post
    How long until we get high draft picks refusing to come here like Eli Manning did with Chargers?
    I think thats next. I think if we draft Crabtree he will turn it down and asked to be sent else where. I see no hope at all for our team. I dont think that we will be any good until Al is out of office and we get someone to buy the team.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 8485 View Post
    I think thats next. I think if we draft Crabtree he will turn it down and asked to be sent else where. I see no hope at all for our team. I dont think that we will be any good until Al is out of office and we get someone to buy the team.
    No offense... but why in the world would you ever draft Crabtree?!?

IMO, that would just compound the problems your team has had. Start in the trenches. I know you may have a fear about it after Gallery, but you do not need a WR.

I mean, look at the Fins. We are 7th in the league in passing offense with the worst WR corps in the league. It all starts up front.

If a QB has all day to throw, WRs will get open.

Draft a lineman...

speedkills is online now Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries
    finsnasty is right, i wanted Clady if we had him we would have a solid LT and maybe a solid RT if we moved Henderson there. I mean if we had a half decent line then Fargas and Bush would be enough at RB (toss in rhodes as we may have kept him) and our WRs would have time to get open.

With that said big hits against the cap are NOT a bad thing, look at our best guys this year, Baker at FS, Eugene at FS, Chris Johnson at corner, Edwards at Dend, most of the best guys ar elow priced Free agents who are hungry if we dont have the money go sign any high priced guys they Al can' t waste all that money

vtraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by FinNasty23 View Post
    No offense... but why in the world would you ever draft Crabtree?!?

IMO, that would just compound the problems your team has had. Start in the trenches. I know you may have a fear about it after Gallery, but you do not need a WR.

I mean, look at the Fins. We are 7th in the league in passing offense with the worst WR corps in the league. It all starts up front.

If a QB has all day to throw, WRs will get open.

Draft a lineman...

That is what most of us on here want to do. Build both lones through FA and the draft. Worry about skill players a little later. Maybe picking up a fringe skill player or 2 in FA that could serve as a stop gap.

reznors edge is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 8485 View Post
    this is another reason why the pick should be LT. I think a lineman is less likely to do an Eli and refuse to come as oppsosed to a high-profile QB or WR. Let's fix the OL first!!

Starter
    Parcells&Co's first draft for the Fins:

1 - OL
    2a - DL

2b - QB
    3 - DL
    4 - OL
    6a - DL

6b - RB
    7a - DL
    7b - RB

6/9 draft picks went towards the trenches...

Its one of the biggest reasons for our turnaround this season...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information