Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Available GM?

Pilamengineer is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Mike Holmgren

L.T.21 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I know this is hypothetical...but some facts if this were to go through.

The GM that would be brought in or would be even interested has been out of a job for the past 2-5 years. There's no current GM that would leave their current job to work with the raiders - this is fact.

That's like saying, hey, there's this job across the street that's going to make me work harder - with an owner that will have his thumb on my head the entire time.

Not going to happen

The GM that will be brought in would be similar to guys like Jim Fassell, who if not coaching - will take some sort of a GM job. Similar to a Bill Parcells in Miami. Now Im not saying it's going to be Jim, but someone that's younger and has NO GM credential.

The media, al davis, and the ridiculous press conference he staged is going to deter any credible GM and or coach for a while. When al proceeded to go off on lane in the public PLUS the knowledge of him not paying -- it signified the end of credibility in the organization.

IMHO - the next coach of the raiders will come from the college ranks. Someone looking for a break. Similar to a GM.

And the biggest downside from the entire thing is al davis, this is no surprise.

If not some out of work GM to come in, I expect al to hire a 'legacy GM.' Someone that a 'raider' -- whether that's tim brown, etc....

Double edge sword during al's press conference...jaw dropping. I've been to hundreds of press conferences live...that was one where I would have paid money to attend.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilamengineer View Post
    Mike Holmgren
    Imagine for a second you are Mike Holmgren. You are not a raider fan, but a Green Bay Packers fan.

You have 2 options:

1. Retire, fish, wait a couple of years and jump into possibly becoming a full time GM for the Seahawks and or Green Bay Packers.

2. Become the GM of the raiders NOW under it's condition, knowing the draft picks you have coming up, knowing the personnel around you, knowing how the front office works.

Which do you choose?

Chairman of the Board
    It will most likely be Tom Gamble. He currently works for the 49ers.
    If it doesn't end up being Gamble, I would like Floyd Reese.
    We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it, even my organization deserves it. You have to win and you have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl. That's our passion here. - Al Davis

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Someone metioned Fassell. Interesting, especially if Harbaugh truely does want to coach. Not saying it would work, but interesting non-the-less.

Starter
    I like Floyd Reese as mentioned earlier. He is Availible.
    CAUSE WE HUNT YOU DOWN WITHOUT MERCY, HUNT YOU DOWN ALL NIGHTMARE LONG

RaiderOfTheSith is offline Banned
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilamengineer View Post
    Mike Holmgren
    uh-huh. Pick a guy who did bad with general manager duties and was stripped of them in 2002.

Wormwood is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Artie Gigantino? He's local right?

Matuszak72Fan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    ^^Sorry no more "Mr Davis" attitudes....

OrlandoRaiders is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Whats Charlie Casserly doing these days?

The Blade is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Mike Holmgren
    Jim Fassell
    Dennis Green
    Rich Gannon
    Ron Jaworski
    Jon Gruden
    Pat Kirwin
    Charlie Casserly
    Tom Flores

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.21 View Post
    I know this is hypothetical...but some facts if this were to go through.

The GM that would be brought in or would be even interested has been out of a job for the past 2-5 years. There's no current GM that would leave their current job to work with the raiders - this is fact.

That's like saying, hey, there's this job across the street that's going to make me work harder - with an owner that will have his thumb on my head the entire time.

Not going to happen

The GM that will be brought in would be similar to guys like Jim Fassell, who if not coaching - will take some sort of a GM job. Similar to a Bill Parcells in Miami. Now Im not saying it's going to be Jim, but someone that's younger and has NO GM credential.

The media, al davis, and the ridiculous press conference he staged is going to deter any credible GM and or coach for a while. When al proceeded to go off on lane in the public PLUS the knowledge of him not paying -- it signified the end of credibility in the organization.

IMHO - the next coach of the raiders will come from the college ranks. Someone looking for a break. Similar to a GM.

And the biggest downside from the entire thing is al davis, this is no surprise.

If not some out of work GM to come in, I expect al to hire a 'legacy GM.' Someone that a 'raider' -- whether that's tim brown, etc....

Double edge sword during al's press conference...jaw dropping. I've been to hundreds of press conferences live...that was one where I would have paid money to attend.
    Well put.

for a Charger fan.

Steely Raider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Hiring a GM isn't enough. All the cronies and goons like Herrera need to go, otherwise they will do nothing but undermine any GM trying to do a good job. Al would NEVER do that out of misplaced loyalty.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderArt View Post
    It will most likely be Tom Gamble. He currently works for the 49ers.
    If it doesn't end up being Gamble, I would like Floyd Reese.
    Could well be Tom Gamble.
    * 11:11 a.m. upate: Again, no biggee, but just got independent confirmation that Tom Gamble was offered a job with the Raiders last off-season. No word on any talks since then, but Al Davis has let it be known that he admires Gamble.

Well, not that secret. Last winter, there were scattered reports that Al Davis was close to importing 49ers pro personnel director Tom Gamble to the East Bay to beef up the Raiders’ bare-bones football operations.

Then there was a last rumor that the deal fell through when Al refused to give Gamble a contract–preferring to do it the Raider way of “come here and I’ll take care of you, no signatures necessary.”

Geesh, I hate those rumors! Detestable! Al hates ‘em, too, because when they deal with Raiders intrigue, they almost always turn out to be true.

I forgot about the Gamble attempt when Al mentioned that he expected to add a football executive in the off-season and hinted that he was “local.” Blanked out.

My bad–my mind went to Scot McCloughan (no chance!), 49ers college scouting director Dave McCloughan (hmm), Matt Millen (former Raider), Carmen Policy (OK, this is now getting insane) and various other dumb places.

But someone just reminded me: Al has always liked Gamble. Al probably is still chasing Tom, now more than ever.

Gamble would help Al–not in the GM-without-title profound way, but in the just-get-one-sane-head-in-there manner. Gamble would really help the Raiders… and his path with the 49ers is blocked by various McCloughans and Paraag Marathe and maybe Jed York wants to be GM, too.

Now does Tom Gamble qualify in all of the ways Al hinted yesterday? I don’t know if I’d call hiring Gamble “unique,” as Al said, but hey, who knows what qualifies as unique in Al’s mind these days?

I’d say it’s unique to talk for 45 minutes on the day you’re hiring a new coach… without naming the new head coach… and to open the spiel by saying you don’t want to get into the “why” of the firing of Lane Kiffin and then almost immediately call him a “flat-out liar,” but that’s just me. I’m wacky that way.

Anyway, an exec moving from the 49ers to the Raiders might qualify as “unique.” I’ll check with my guy AD.

It sure sounded like Al knows he has to make some changes in that shop. Who knows, he might even offer Gamble a nice actual contract.

It’s not like Al always pays them out, anyway.
    49ers pro personnel director Tom Gamble might be the secret Al Davis exec-candidate | Talking Points

Official Site of the San Francisco 49ers - TEAM

In his 21st NFL season, Tom Gamble enters his fourth year with the 49ers overseeing the club’s pro personnel department. In his role, Gamble monitors every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents. He is also responsible for maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster.

Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as an area scout for the Indianapolis Colts for seven seasons under Bill Polian.

He worked in 1997 as a part-time college scout for the Carolina Panthers while dueling as a pro scout with the Baltimore Ravens. Gamble entered the NFL as an assistant in the player personnel department of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. He stayed with the Eagles through 1994, serving as an area scout, handling contract negotiations, and later served as director of pro scouting. He served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets from 1995-96.

Gamble earned his B.S. from High Point University in 1987 and an M.S. from Rowan University in 1988.

Gamble grew up in a football family where his father, Harry, served as the head coach at both the University of Pennsylvania and Lafayette College. He was also formerly the President of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Gamble and his wife, Juliette, have three sons, Tom, Gregory and Matthew.

When you think of the crap that the 49ers have drafted its hardly a recommendation though. Or if you look at their depth.

Hall of Famer
    al: 'I'd like to introduce to you, a guy with tremendous experience with the draft.'

MEL KIPER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information