Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Randy Hanson Story

hanuma is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

The Randy Hanson Story

As seen in the link from here: http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2...-staff-unrest/

Raiders assistant coach says Kiffin trying to run him out
    Hanson was sent home, without Al Davis' permission, after outburst following loss to Denver
    By Steve Corkran
    STAFF WRITER
    Article Launched: 09/27/2008 11:36:20 PM PDT

Randy Hanson calls working for the Raiders his dream job. That dream turned into reality when coach Lane Kiffin hired him shortly after Kiffin replaced Art Shell as Raiders coach in 2007.

Hanson soon earned a reputation as a tireless worker, willing to assume any task as the assistant defensive backs coach. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan labeled Hanson the "smartest guy" around.

These days, Hanson is living a professional nightmare as a result of an outburst he had on the heels of Oakland's 41-14 season-opening loss to the Mike Shanahan-coached Denver Broncos, and the resulting action taken by Kiffin.

"It's a good thing that Shanahan didn't have our players," Hanson snapped after the Broncos game, "or else he would have beaten us 1,000-0."

Kiffin suspended Hanson for what amounted to five days, including Oakland's game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 14. Hanson's role since has been reduced, and he feels as if he is being phased out.

Kiffin attributed Hanson's absence to "personal issues" and said there was no animosity between him and Hanson.

"Randy had some personal issues going on," Kiffin said Sept. 17, when asked if Hanson had been suspended. "Randy still did some work for us, but he spent some time at home to get some things straight in his personal life."

Hanson takes exception to Kiffin's characterization of his absence.

"Oh, (expletive), that ain't true," Hanson said, in an extensive interview, of his having any personal issues. "I was fine. I've been working late and staying up late. They said that I was tired and this and that. The bottom line is, they're trying to move me, they're trying to get me out of the way, is how I feel. They're just trying to reduce my role and make things a little harder on me."

Hanson also was ordered by Kiffin to take a full physical to make sure that he wasn't suffering from any underlying issues.

"Can you imagine that?" Hanson asked. "Look at me, I'm fine."

None of this sat well with managing general partner Al Davis, who was unaware of Kiffin's decision to suspend Hanson, according to several people with knowledge of the matter.

Davis hasn't made any official comments on the situation. However, he said Thursday that he intends to speak with the media in the coming days. He did not specify what he'll talk about.

Kiffin's job security no doubt will be the primary focus of the media's inquiries. Bay Area News Group reported Sept. 14 that Davis is prepared to fire Kiffin at any point.

Kiffin's handling of the Hanson incident doesn't bode well for a favorable outcome. It also bears noting that Davis has a penchant for supporting those most loyal to him and the Raiders. Hanson fits the bill.

"I love being here," Hanson said. "I love these players. I'm loyal to these players and this team, all right? I'm on the side of the players and the Raiders. And anybody who isn't on the side of the Raiders, then I'm not with them."

It's that unyielding loyalty that endears Hanson to Davis but landed him on Kiffin's bad side.

It started during the third quarter of the Broncos game, when Hanson was excoriated by a coach other than Kiffin — Hanson declined to identify the person — for providing some defensive players with too much information.

Soon after the game, Hanson voiced his displeasure with the way the game went, in the presence of other coaches, he said.

Kiffin overheard the outburst, summoned Hanson into his office and reprimanded him. The suspension followed.

Two days later, Kiffin irked Davis by telling the media that Ryan and Davis conspire on the defensive scheme. Davis viewed Kiffin's public hand-washing of his role in the defensive game plan as being a far more egregious offense than Hanson losing his cool behind closed doors, according to several people close to Davis.

For the record, Hanson said he shouldn't have said some of the things he did. Yet, at the same time, he stands by his comments because "someone had to stand up" and call into question some of the things that transpired during the game.

"I was pretty upset at the time," Hanson said. "I haven't shown it (since). I even apologized to Lane when I got back. I said, 'Hey, you know what, I said some things I shouldn't have said.' "

Damage done. Hanson no longer is part of meetings he once presided over or was an integral part of. He isn't asked to perform the duties he spent all offseason preparing for. He is a coach adrift in a sea of chaos.

Hanson termed it "weird" and "very curious."

If nothing else, his reduced role is incongruous with the value assigned him by Ryan last year.

"He doesn't sleep at night, he just studies, studies, studies," Ryan said Aug. 8, 2007. "And this guy was hired to (break down opponents) for us, personnel-wise, and he's been tremendous. Smartest guy. Like I say, 'Man, you might be the smartest guy in the National Football League.' He goes, 'Well, there are smarter guys out there, but they're in NASA.' So, this guy is a huge plus for us."

Ultimately, Hanson said he wants what is best for the Raiders, even if that means a permanent demotion, a reassignment or his leaving his dream job.

"I dreamed this," Hanson said. "This is what I wanted to do my whole life, was to come here, all right? This was my goal. I set forth to do this. I worked my way up all to get to the Raiders because I wanted to coach for the Raiders.

"Then I get here and (it's), 'All right, we're going to get it turned around', this and that, but it's always guys worried about the ... minor (stuff). Majoring in the minors instead of majoring in the majors. It's coaches having problems with coaches. I've never had a problem with any coach. All of a sudden the (stuff) is coming down. I don't get it."

You get the sense that someone is about to get it.

What a bizarre story and some strange writing too. Corkran suggests that Davis would keep Hanson but fire Kiffin, despite the fact that Hanson has been even more outspoken than Kiffin ever was. Then you have him suggesting Hanson's issue was with Kiffin's work, despite the fact that he was working exclusively under Rob Ryan and was 'disciplined' for talking out of turn to the defensive unit.

Through the maze of this poor piece of journalism I'm seeing a guy who was demoted by Kiffin (how did that happen without Al saying something? I don't think it did...) because he was upset with Ryan, and presumably because Kiffin, as a responsible head coach, knew this was a negative impact on 1) the defensive unit who don't need their leader undermined and 2) that he was undermining the general chain of command as well.

That's my reading into it after being presented the same small interview as presumably some Al Davis sponsored excuse for getting rid of Lane.

What does everyone else think about this suddenly important person; Randy Hanson?

FROZEN is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Can you paste the story? I can't get the link to work at all.

Chairman of the Board
    Link not working for me either......
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

No Quarterback with pick 5. Especially the noodle arm Bridgewater or Carr V2.0.......

Hall of Famer
    Ok, fixed.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks!

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by hanuma View Post
    What does everyone else think about this suddenly important person; Randy Hanson?
    That I read it quite a bit different then you did.

Chairman of the Board
    "I love being here," Hanson said. "I love these players. I'm loyal to these players and this team, all right? I'm on the side of the players and the Raiders. And anybody who isn't on the side of the Raiders, then I'm not with them."
    about to be my new sig.

Hall of Famer
    Davis hasn't made any official comments on the situation. However, he said Thursday that he intends to speak with the media in the coming days. He did not specify what he'll talk about.

More craziness coming soon to a theatre near you!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    Would you care to explain? Because I'm struggling to find more than 2 ways of reading it. Either the convoluted way the writer wants or the way I presented to you.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Hall of Famer
    Exactly.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Agreed.

The writer is saying that Kiffin suspended a guy for doing something behind closed doors that Kiffin does practically every time someone sticks a microphone in his face.
    "He's relentless, shoot him in the head is the only way to stop him. If Howie's alive and still kicking he's coming."

-HOF guard John Hannah

rslproductions is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Very convenient, this seems like a setup for Lane's firing by the organization. This is some bull****.

Hall of Famer
    "He doesn't sleep at night, he just studies, studies, studies," Ryan said Aug. 8, 2007. "And this guy was hired to (break down opponents) for us, personnel-wise, and he's been tremendous. Smartest guy. Like I say, 'Man, you might be the smartest guy in the National Football League.' He goes, 'Well, there are smarter guys out there, but they're in NASA.' So, this guy is a huge plus for us."
    He was hired to break down opponents for us, and apparently, failed miserably with the Donks. Naturally Rob Ryan calls him the smartest guy in the NFL.

This team is frickin' whacked.

blazed4s22 is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Kiffin needs to GO!!! He should still be a College Coordinator, he has no business in the NFL.....

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by rslproductions View Post
    Very convenient, this seems like a setup for Lane's firing by the organization. This is some bull****.
    Get a clue!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information