Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why do poeple keep slamming Kwame Harris?

Hall of Famer
    If Kwame plays well...it will be a pleasant surprise...I believe knapp and cable will do wonders with the guy...I mean he's young and he is a natural zone blocking lineman.

Let's also keep in mind that we NEEDED a LT and no LT were available...none. So unless we were going to try to draft a LT in the 4th round...I would rather go for a veteran who my O-line coach is high on and judging that he just coached my O-line into knocking 25 sacks off of our totals from the year before...I'm going to trust him.

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Wormwood is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Mitchell Brothers LOL. Aren't they both dead?

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    Mitchell Brothers LOL. Aren't they both dead?
    Yea but the club is still alive and kicking. And the women there...holy smokes man.......

POKE IN RICHMOND

Wormwood is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjayboogie View Post

Let's also keep in mind that we NEEDED a LT and no LT were available...none. So unless we were going to try to draft a LT in the 4th round...I would rather go for a veteran who my O-line coach is high on and judging that he just coached my O-line into knocking 25 sacks off of our totals from the year before...I'm going to trust him.
    Well that's the thing most people don't realize. Aside from Flozell Adams and Sean Locklear, who probably could play Lt in a pinch, there really wasn't anyone out there of note. Both these guys were resigned by their respective clubs. No team is going to let an All Pro calibre OT walk. I'm still optimistic that we bring in Shane Olivea, even with his impending suspension to add some depth to the OL.

2006, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by BeforeDishonor View Post
    It's replacing crap with crap. Sims sucked and now Harris will suck in his place.
    I sure as hell hope you are wrong. From my knowledge, Harris did pretty good in ZBS but when Nolan came he didn't fit the system and he struggled. If he is in Oakland in a ZBS system why would you dog him if you haven't seen him perform with the Silver and Black? The slate is clean, IMO. Now if he sucks this year, great, we part ways with him, but if he excells I want all you skeptical nay sayers to start an "Eat'n crow" thread. Deal? Sims is as old as dirt. Harris is a young gun still. You can't even compare the two...
    Don't let what you can't do, stop you from doing what you can do!

since1r8tr2 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    I have been following the progress of Mr. Harris as a Raider - and there seem to still be mixed reviews still. As stated several times - good run blocker, poor in pass protection - Here are quotes about him, and links to the entire articles they were taken from. I am very interested in what happens in camp when they actually put the pads on...

"The tackle position might have been the most troubling during the recently concluded mandatory minicamp, with Derrick Burgess, Jay Richardson and Greg Spires all having occasionally unimpeded rushes to the quarterback.

The Raiders are intent on lettting Kwame Harris get adjusted to the left side and giving him a chance to protect Russell’s blind side. The right side is another story, with veteran Cornell Green better suited for backup duty and Mario Henderson struggling as a second-year player."

Gray, Black back on market - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers

"Kiffin said he was also impressed with how LT Kwame Harris is adjusting."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: Minicamp wrap and a notable visitor -- Sacramento Bee

"LT Kwame Harris vs. DE Jay Richardson
    Winner: Even. Richardson won the first time around, but Harris seemed to hold his own in Round 2."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: O-Line vs. D-Line. I try to keep score -- Sacramento Bee

"The question now is: which Raider will all the fans love to hate now?

My guess is Kwame Harris if he struggles at all."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: So long, Stuey -- Sacramento Bee

"First was Harris, who proved once again Stanford athletes are good interviews almost every time.

There were some major selling points that led him to sign with the Raiders. One, offensive line coach Tom Cable. Another was knowing he would be playing left tackle along with wanting to play with Justin Fargas.

I’m sure many of you have made your Kwame Harris/Robert Gallery tandem jokes. And with their struggles to start their careers as first-round picks, that’s expected. And don’t think they haven’t spoken yet.

“Yeah. certainly. I talked to Gallery several times before I even signed with the Raiders,” Harris said.. “He was somebody I felt we were in similar positions also for a little bit of time. he had a phenomenal year last year too., getting to just talk to him and listen to what he had to say not just about Cable but the system, the fan market and you guys also ... it really helped me come to a decision that this is a good fit for me. This is someplace I can be successful.”

That’s right, he Harris was also sold on the soft Raiders media.

In some ways, hearing Harris talk was a lot like talking to Gallery or Jake Grove. Harris said he had three line coaches in five years. And it sounds as if a lot of his problems were due to over-thinking on the field, which happens when you’re more worried about which foot to step with than staying in front of your opponent.

“Very strict in a sense,” is how Harris described previous coaching styles with the 49ers. “Here I think one of the great things about Coach Cable is that yes, you have a set of fundamentals, techniques and principle you have to work inside of. But also you need to go out and block the guy. Don't let the guy get to the quarterback. That is the main goal. It's not to keep your keep your hips square and stay in position. It's to keep that guy away from JaMarcus.”

Harris sums up pretty well his thinking when the Raiders told him they viewed him as a left tackle:

“When they approached me about playing left tackle, I said OK ... what do you see on film or what makes you think that. Why? I questioned why. We talked through it and (Cable) showed me some things on film, some fundamental things and after seeing that and speaking to him abut it I felt like I had probably been playing out of position for most of my time in the league.”

Harris’ time in San Francisco ended with him being a reserve right tackle.

Harris is a good athlete, which should be a plus as he learns the zone-blocking scheme. And if he needs proof Cable can help turn his career around, he can look to his right when he lines up.

Gallery will co-sign for Cable any day."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: More from Raiders media availability -- Sacramento Bee

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RFOX View Post
    I sure as hell hope you are wrong. From my knowledge, Harris did pretty good in ZBS but when Nolan came he didn't fit the system and he struggled. If he is in Oakland in a ZBS system why would you dog him if you haven't seen him perform with the Silver and Black? The slate is clean, IMO. Now if he sucks this year, great, we part ways with him, but if he excells I want all you skeptical nay sayers to start an "Eat'n crow" thread. Deal? Sims is as old as dirt. Harris is a young gun still. You can't even compare the two...
    I have no issues with eating crow, but it seems when us realists are correct we don't get the threads from you kool-aid drinkers... so if he fails are you going to start a thread eating crow? just curious? We are expected to be stand up and true to our word, but the same doesn't apply to those with rose colored glasses...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

2006, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    I have no issues with eating crow, but it seems when us realists are correct we don't get the threads from you kool-aid drinkers... so if he fails are you going to start a thread eating crow? just curious? We are expected to be stand up and true to our word, but the same doesn't apply to those with rose colored glasses...
    I'm in no way a kool aide drinker. I prefer dos equis and tequila. I'm not riding the K. Harris bandwagon by any stretch of the imagination. On the same token I'm not going to out and out call him a bust or failure and just write him off. Ya gett'n me?
    Don't let what you can't do, stop you from doing what you can do!

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Why is it always the us against them mentality. We are Raider Fans. It is not like the Kwame Harris Raiders vs the Darren McFadden Raiders. Can the season start already
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

since1r8tr2 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    To make it a little more interesting - the whiners just picked up Simms...so there was a Harris and Simms swap between the teams. Let's just hope we got the better of that deal.

Harris-for-Sims a good `trade’? - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers

Pro Bowler
    i dont think he's a pro-bowl tackle..but i think he can do ENOUGH, thats all im worried about. Enough to not have the raiders last in the league in sacks, and help the rush. Also lets hope he's not so jumpy at getting false starts.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RFOX View Post
    I'm in no way a kool aide drinker. I prefer dos equis and tequila. I'm not riding the K. Harris bandwagon by any stretch of the imagination. On the same token I'm not going to out and out call him a bust or failure and just write him off. Ya gett'n me?
    I haven't called him a failure or written him off, but he hasn't done much in his career to suggest he was an upgrade over Sims... I'll wait and see before calling a failure, but some folks assume because he's younger he's somehow better than Sims, that remains to be seen.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Mykle VanHausen is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by since1r8tr2 View Post
    I have been following the progress of Mr. Harris as a Raider - and there seem to still be mixed reviews still. As stated several times - good run blocker, poor in pass protection - Here are quotes about him, and links to the entire articles they were taken from. I am very interested in what happens in camp when they actually put the pads on...

"The tackle position might have been the most troubling during the recently concluded mandatory minicamp, with Derrick Burgess, Jay Richardson and Greg Spires all having occasionally unimpeded rushes to the quarterback.

The Raiders are intent on lettting Kwame Harris get adjusted to the left side and giving him a chance to protect Russell’s blind side. The right side is another story, with veteran Cornell Green better suited for backup duty and Mario Henderson struggling as a second-year player."

Gray, Black back on market - Inside The Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of ANG Newspapers

"Kiffin said he was also impressed with how LT Kwame Harris is adjusting."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: Minicamp wrap and a notable visitor -- Sacramento Bee

"LT Kwame Harris vs. DE Jay Richardson
    Winner: Even. Richardson won the first time around, but Harris seemed to hold his own in Round 2."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: O-Line vs. D-Line. I try to keep score -- Sacramento Bee

"The question now is: which Raider will all the fans love to hate now?

My guess is Kwame Harris if he struggles at all."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: So long, Stuey -- Sacramento Bee

"First was Harris, who proved once again Stanford athletes are good interviews almost every time.

There were some major selling points that led him to sign with the Raiders. One, offensive line coach Tom Cable. Another was knowing he would be playing left tackle along with wanting to play with Justin Fargas.

I’m sure many of you have made your Kwame Harris/Robert Gallery tandem jokes. And with their struggles to start their careers as first-round picks, that’s expected. And don’t think they haven’t spoken yet.

“Yeah. certainly. I talked to Gallery several times before I even signed with the Raiders,” Harris said.. “He was somebody I felt we were in similar positions also for a little bit of time. he had a phenomenal year last year too., getting to just talk to him and listen to what he had to say not just about Cable but the system, the fan market and you guys also ... it really helped me come to a decision that this is a good fit for me. This is someplace I can be successful.”

That’s right, he Harris was also sold on the soft Raiders media.

In some ways, hearing Harris talk was a lot like talking to Gallery or Jake Grove. Harris said he had three line coaches in five years. And it sounds as if a lot of his problems were due to over-thinking on the field, which happens when you’re more worried about which foot to step with than staying in front of your opponent.

“Very strict in a sense,” is how Harris described previous coaching styles with the 49ers. “Here I think one of the great things about Coach Cable is that yes, you have a set of fundamentals, techniques and principle you have to work inside of. But also you need to go out and block the guy. Don't let the guy get to the quarterback. That is the main goal. It's not to keep your keep your hips square and stay in position. It's to keep that guy away from JaMarcus.”

Harris sums up pretty well his thinking when the Raiders told him they viewed him as a left tackle:

“When they approached me about playing left tackle, I said OK ... what do you see on film or what makes you think that. Why? I questioned why. We talked through it and (Cable) showed me some things on film, some fundamental things and after seeing that and speaking to him abut it I felt like I had probably been playing out of position for most of my time in the league.”

Harris’ time in San Francisco ended with him being a reserve right tackle.

Harris is a good athlete, which should be a plus as he learns the zone-blocking scheme. And if he needs proof Cable can help turn his career around, he can look to his right when he lines up.

Gallery will co-sign for Cable any day."

Raiders Blog and Q&A: More from Raiders media availability -- Sacramento Bee
    Best post.

Hall of Famer
    I hope Harris kicks ass for us, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like I'm a Redskins fan getting excited about signing STUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

Mykle VanHausen is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Stu!!!!

Hope he enjoys success and very well could.

Weird system in Oakland that didn't fit his skill set. Like tackling...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information