Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Davis spending like there is no tomorrow...

Matuszak72Fan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Davis spending like there is no tomorrow...

DeAngelo Hall as the latest Raider purchase: Al Davis is spending like there’s no tomorrow - Talking Points with Tim Kawakami - San Jose Mercury News sports blog

Crazy money. Insane money. Money, money, money, MO-NEY!

At some point, we’ve just got to tip our caps to Al Davis, who has clearly decided that he’s going for broke in 2008 and BROKE, I believe, is a literal interpretation.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Matuszak72Fan View Post
    DeAngelo Hall as the latest Raider purchase: Al Davis is spending like there’s no tomorrow - Talking Points with Tim Kawakami - San Jose Mercury News sports blog

Crazy money. Insane money. Money, money, money, MO-NEY!

At some point, we’ve just got to tip our caps to Al Davis, who has clearly decided that he’s going for broke in 2008 and BROKE, I believe, is a literal interpretation.
    If it produces wins then yeah, we should and can all tip our hats and I'll be the first to say Davis is still at the top of his game, but the flip side is if it doesn't produce the desired outcome and results then all this money and spending was moot...and the criticism gets louder and more often and most likely from more fans...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    If it produces wins then yeah, we should and can all tip our hats and I'll be the first to say Davis is still at the top of his game, but the flip side is if it doesn't produce the desired outcome and results then all this money and spending was moot...and the criticism gets louder and more often and most likely from more fans...
    Absolutely right!!! It doesnt get any more clear cut than Hitman's post. So true man....so true.
    IMHO-I'm just glad he's tired of losing. ALL OF US ARE TIRED OF LOSING.
    Never can discredit AL for not trying, Never!!!!!!

BlackHeart is offline Banned
    Chairman of the Board
    No line work= No wins

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop750 View Post
    Absolutely right!!! It doesnt get any more clear cut than Hitman's post. So true man....so true.
    IMHO-I'm just glad he's tired of losing. ALL OF US ARE TIRED OF LOSING.
    Never can discredit AL for not trying, Never!!!!!!
    And I've never discredited the man for spending to try to sign players, but signing players that doesn't produce results is poor decision making.

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

ismail86 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    As much as I'd love to see the silver and black back..I'm not going to get my hopes up

LatinoRaider is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    How many wins will it take to see this? I would hope it is a reasonable number.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinoRaider View Post
    How many wins will it take to see this? I would hope it is a reasonable number.
    If I see 8 or more... I'm not that crazy to think this team will be 12 wins or better and if they are more power to the man.

Hall of Famer
    If I see 8 or more... I'm not that crazy to think this team will be 12 wins or better and if they are more power to the man.
    Fair enough.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinoRaider View Post
    Fair enough.
    I'm a stand up guy, so I have no problems eating crow, but now what I want to know is will anyone of the numerous Davis supporters do the same thing if it doesn't produce the desired result?

migman33 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    /\/\ I will but you still cant say he isnt trying!!!!

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by migman33 View Post
    // I will but you still cant say he isnt trying!!!!
    Oh hell I know Davis tries, it's just not always productive, I've always said, Davis isn't afraid to pay money to better the team, the only problem is lately it hasn't always helped!

Locdog is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Oh
    well. I’m all for it. This is going to be another fascinating season for the Raiders, with the owner spending like he doesn’t care about anything past 2008
    we are supposed to want the owners to spend. yeah he could go a thousand different ways with the money. but he did what he always does...he did it his way.

Ingersoll is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Since when has Al NOT spent money on players? He's always opened the purse strings for the guys on the field. This is second verse, same as the first.

So I guess I'll be the one to throw the bucket of icewater on this little campfire:

We had four wins last year, a head coach who almost certainly won't be around come 2009 and we're spending money like water on veteran players whose cap hits will be enormous in 2-3 years, at which time our new head coach (after Kiffin gets ****canned next January) will be 1-2 years into the job. We'll still be a loser and then we'll have to rebuild again.

La-la-lovely...

Hall of Famer
    I'm a stand up guy, so I have no problems eating crow, but now what I want to know is will anyone of the numerous Davis supporters do the same thing if it doesn't produce the desired result?
    Don't know, I can't speak for other people. I support the Raiders first and foremost and Mr. Davis is part of that so I support him too. I don't agree with everything he does, but it's out of my control. So speaking for myself, I don't see the use in complaining about it, I just roll with the punches and hope for the best, as I do every season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information