Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Davis spending like there is no tomorrow...

IronRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I don't worry about the money Al spends. Every year but this one, the Raider's have be million's over the cap. AL restructures a contract here, cuts a vet there (see Lamont Jordan, this year), suddenly, the Raiders are $10-15m under the cap. I'll say this for AL, at least he knows how to get around the loop-holes in the salary cap.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRaider View Post
    I don't worry about the money Al spends. Every year but this one, the Raider's have be million's over the cap. AL restructures a contract here, cuts a vet there (see Lamont Jordan, this year), suddenly, the Raiders are $10-15m under the cap. I'll say this for AL, at least he knows how to get around the loop-holes in the salary cap.
    Now if he could get around the loop holes of being 19-61 the last five years, we'd all be happy!
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

migman33 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRaider View Post
    I think he invented the loop holes!!!!

Tyson is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    Now if he could get around the loop holes of being 19-61 the last five years, we'd all be happy!
    thats what im saying.....i hope with the newly added players we can take a step in that direction!

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    thats what im saying.....i hope with the newly added players we can take a step in that direction!
    Well that's the hope anyway, now it just remains to be seen!

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Coach_G is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Matuszak72Fan View Post
    DeAngelo Hall as the latest Raider purchase: Al Davis is spending like there’s no tomorrow - Talking Points with Tim Kawakami - San Jose Mercury News sports blog

Crazy money. Insane money. Money, money, money, MO-NEY!

At some point, we’ve just got to tip our caps to Al Davis, who has clearly decided that he’s going for broke in 2008 and BROKE, I believe, is a literal interpretation.
    One last run? Or is he spending like there won't be a cap soon.. What about contracts having clauses for injuries on everyone we signed... Injured FA's scare me so hoepfully we are covered and can keep some of this money if they can't perform... Kelly may not be able to play this year... If he does I can't see him being 100% all year. We will see...Soon enough...

DaddyFatsackz is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingersoll View Post
    Since when has Al NOT spent money on players? He's always opened the purse strings for the guys on the field. This is second verse, same as the first.

So I guess I'll be the one to throw the bucket of icewater on this little campfire:

We had four wins last year, a head coach who almost certainly won't be around come 2009 and we're spending money like water on veteran players whose cap hits will be enormous in 2-3 years, at which time our new head coach (after Kiffin gets ****canned next January) will be 1-2 years into the job. We'll still be a loser and then we'll have to rebuild again.

La-la-lovely...

Kiffin probably wont be canned anytime soon unless we simply unravel.True we have shelled out the dough, I think we are finally recovering with the Moss deal. Our QB of the future got his deal, and we are TRULY building a team to watch this upcoming season. We are signing players who to some say are questionable because they voiced disappointment on their teams. Moss did it to us for years, but I see Hall,carter, walker,harris and Joeseph as players with something to prove. Thats just me. Hey Hitman, since we beefed all last season over the Russell deal, what are your thoughts going into this season? I must say you seem more optimistic this time around...holla.

ice4444 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Matuszak72Fan View Post
    DeAngelo Hall as the latest Raider purchase: Al Davis is spending like there’s no tomorrow - Talking Points with Tim Kawakami - San Jose Mercury News sports blog

Crazy money. Insane money. Money, money, money, MO-NEY!

At some point, we’ve just got to tip our caps to Al Davis, who has clearly decided that he’s going for broke in 2008 and BROKE, I believe, is a literal interpretation.
    Since Ron Wolf left, Mr. Davis has ran the show by himself. I dont like hardly any of the moves they've made this year and in the last 5 years, but you can't say he doesn't try. It's just that they can't evaluate talent anymore. If you can't draft you can't win in todays NFL.

JQNJRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    He's 300, there is no tomorrow.

ice4444 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFatsackz View Post
    Kiffin probably wont be canned anytime soon unless we simply unravel.True we have shelled out the dough, I think we are finally recovering with the Moss deal. Our QB of the future got his deal, and we are TRULY building a team to watch this upcoming season. We are signing players who to some say are questionable because they voiced disappointment on their teams. Moss did it to us for years, but I see Hall,carter, walker,harris and Joeseph as players with something to prove. Thats just me. Hey Hitman, since we beefed all last season over the Russell deal, what are your thoughts going into this season? I must say you seem more optimistic this time around...holla.
    Kiffin will not be fired because MR. Davis is one of the few that wont buy coaches out unless it absolutely has to happen. Several media sources said he was irate when he had to pay shell $1 million. This is Kiffins' last year I'm sure.

R41D3R5 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Maybe he knows something we don't. Tell us Al.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFatsackz View Post
    Well, I think the key to Russell having success this year is continuity and stability with the coaching staff. Optimistic? not really just have the wait and see mindset going on, I don't think Davis is done spending or dealing and I believe he's going to try to add some draft picks through trades. I just want to see some continuity longer than two years... so let's hope it happens.

buckwild187 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Nobody has ever said Al isn't trying to win. The 05 offseason was huge, trading for Moss and signing Lamont and Burgess. One of those moves was great, the other two were utter disasters. I'm am taking the wait and see approach though, I refuse to build up my hopes and expect the playoffs until I see some wins on the field.

DaddyFatsackz is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    Well, I think the key to Russell having success this year is continuity and stability with the coaching staff. Optimistic? not really just have the wait and see mindset going on, I don't think Davis is done spending or dealing and I believe he's going to try to add some draft picks through trades. I just want to see some continuity longer than two years... so let's hope it happens.
    LOL yeah hope can go a long way, but reality will cut you short. I agree 100% grooming a young QB must be a stable process. Gotta have time time learn and its impossible to do with a staff swap every other year. The draft will be another fun one this year as so many need are/have been addressed we could do anything...maybe even trade down. Right on Hitman.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwild187 View Post
    Nobody has ever said Al isn't trying to win. The 05 offseason was huge, trading for Moss and signing Lamont and Burgess. One of those moves was great, the other two were utter disasters. I'm am taking the wait and see approach though, I refuse to build up my hopes and expect the playoffs until I see some wins on the field.
    Very true and I think a lot of us have that same mindset...let's get some wins first then I'll start getting all misty eyed about these players... show me something first! talk is cheap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information