View Poll Results: Who do you side with ?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • The owners

24 18.75%
  • The players

24 18.75%
  • I don't give Damn....Just get it done !!!

80 62.50%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which side are you on

Hungary87 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I don't know the ins and outs of the pro football business, so it's hard to judge who's right in this case. But, I know none of these guys should be complaining, and in their case the worst outcome of a negotiation is not reaching an agreement. If they can't settle these disputes amicably, they run the danger of killing the golden goose. What the NHL did last year was just shameful. I don't even like hockey but for a league to cancel a season, that is just disgusting. Gotta get a deal done and go on making money, or everybody loses and that's depressing. At least the NFL isn't at that stage yet.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew
    I'm glad to see that so many agree with me that the players are being overly greedy and trying to make demands of their employers which would get any of us working normal jobs kicked out to the curb. I truly felt like supporters of the owners would be a very small minority to those siding with the players.
    At last check, it's 21 for the owners and 20 for the players. I have to ask you this: Do you know of any owner that has ever lost money and gone under in the NFL? Are any of them suffering in their live's after football should they have sold their teams? As far as I know, the answer is none. In the early years, specifically in the AFL, the Raiders were almost done. I'd have to research but, the Raiders didn't even have a field to call their own in the early years. His name slips my mind right now but, the owner of the Bills loaned $400,000 to the Raiders during those dire times to keep them alive (the loan equal to millions of dollars today).

On the other side, statistics show that around 70% of ex-NFL'ers aren't doing so well. Yes, they may have a nice home and ride, more middle-class but, their not able to walk so good and, it's not so easy for them to get out of bed in the morning. But, they have to because, the NFL money is gone and they need to make a living. Have you ever noticed it's the guys that have been retired for a while that want big buck$ for an autograph? It's literally to put food on their table. I don't make the statistics and, I'm not making it up (Help anyone? Got a link? The article was recent).

Football is good for both the owners and players. But, for most of the players, the good-times run out once, they leave football. That never happens to the owners. When they leave football, their busy counting all their money.

I think if you sit back and really think about it, you'ld reconsider your support of the owners. This recent impasse appears to be a problem with the owners amongst themselves. The players want a little more than half of the pie (there's 32 owners and how many players - 10x - 20x - 30x or more as many?) and by all reports, they're only 4 percentage points off. The players want 60% and the owners want that to be 56%. So, they're close on that. Also, it appears that everyone agrees the cap should increase. What I gather from reports, the major hang-up is the "cash over cap" clause. As it stands now, teams are able to pay players cash over the cap in the form of bonuses and incentives that do not count against the cap. There's a total figure allowed. The rich owners want to increase that figure while the other owners don't (unless, they get more revenue shared).

But, most all of us agree, we're the ones getting screwed paying $250 for an authentic NFL jersey that only costs $40 in labor and materials to produce.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kitared
    Yeah, but if the players are millionaires, what are the owners?! Arthur Blank has OFFICE BUILDING they call the HOME OFFICE that looks like a castle, with leather FLOORS! This place is huge, looks more like a house than a office building.......

My point, the players make these owners GAZILLIONARES! They profit off of all of their hard work. You also figure there are only a handfull of players on a team that are millionaires. We tend to forget about the other no name players that barey get $300,000. a year. Football isn't something these guys can play until they are 55. The career of a player is more or less 4-5 years. I want the no namers to get THEIR money!! They deserve it.....Let's not forget the guys that made the QB's, WR's & RB's look good. Someone has to block the line!!

3000 a year isnt just pocket money. thats more than many hard working citizens make so i disagree with that comment.

Attyla is offline Banned
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider
    At last check, it's 21 for the owners and 20 for the players. I have to ask you this: Do you know of any owner that has ever lost money and gone under in the NFL? Are any of them suffering in their live's after football should they have sold their teams? As far as I know, the answer is none. In the early years, specifically in the AFL, the Raiders were almost done. I'd have to research but, the Raiders didn't even have a field to call their own in the early years. His name slips my mind right now but, the owner of the Bills loaned $400,000 to the Raiders during those dire times to keep them alive (the loan equal to millions of dollars today).

On the other side, statistics show that around 70% of ex-NFL'ers aren't doing so well. Yes, they may have a nice home and ride, more middle-class but, their not able to walk so good and, it's not so easy for them to get out of bed in the morning. But, they have to because, the NFL money is gone and they need to make a living. Have you ever noticed it's the guys that have been retired for a while that want big buck$ for an autograph? It's literally to put food on their table. I don't make the statistics and, I'm not making it up (Help anyone? Got a link? The article was recent).

Football is good for both the owners and players. But, for most of the players, the good-times run out once, they leave football. That never happens to the owners. When they leave football, their busy counting all their money.

I think if you sit back and really think about it, you'ld reconsider your support of the owners. This recent impasse appears to be a problem with the owners amongst themselves. The players want a little more than half of the pie (there's 32 owners and how many players - 10x - 20x - 30x or more as many?) and by all reports, they're only 4 percentage points off. The players want 60% and the owners want that to be 56%. So, they're close on that. Also, it appears that everyone agrees the cap should increase. What I gather from reports, the major hang-up is the "cash over cap" clause. As it stands now, teams are able to pay players cash over the cap in the form of bonuses and incentives that do not count against the cap. There's a total figure allowed. The rich owners want to increase that figure while the other owners don't (unless, they get more revenue shared).

But, most all of us agree, we're the ones getting screwed paying $250 for an authentic NFL jersey that only costs $40 in labor and materials to produce.
    Agree

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    This is the wrong argument. If you read between the lines it appears that the players and owners are close. It's the small market owners vs. the big market owners.

Surprise, surprise, I'm for the small market owners!

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by BayArea831
    3000 a year isnt just pocket money. thats more than many hard working citizens make so i disagree with that comment.
    Clearly you are missing the point. The life span of them making this kind of money isn't until they retire at 55. Some players are lucky to have a 10 year career. Plus, the wear and tear on the line mens body can't be replaced with money!!

Why do you think so many guys have financial trouble when they are done playing football?
    WIN LOSE OR TIE..SILVER & BLACK TILL I DIE

AND YES BGRN IS STILL MY BYTCH!

http://profile.to/kita_red"

Twitter @Kita_red

Hydrex is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I for one don't think they are making to much money. After they finish playing do you know how many surgeries, doctor bills, medicines that they have to pay for? Their bodies are tore up after they play. Just think about all the injuries that they have to go through, its not all fun and games.

Hydrex is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    oh and Hawaiian the raiders were so poor they used to practice in Bushrod park right across the street from where I live. ITs a public park! my dad used to go out there and watch them practice its crazy not even highschool teams do that.

Chairman of the Board
    i dont care, get it done

thanks blackhole john for the sig
    Derrick Burgess is my new fav Raider Go Burgess!

is very sick of the drama on here, hrmm.

RIP ROMELO!! u will always be remembered bro!

Chairman of the Board
    The players.........
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kitared
    Clearly you are missing the point. The life span of them making this kind of money isn't until they retire at 55. Some players are lucky to have a 10 year career. Plus, the wear and tear on the line mens body can't be replaced with money!!

Why do you think so many guys have financial trouble when they are done playing football?
    thats why u graduate from school. for life after sports......... a man making 60 k a year works for say 20 years, he ends up making 1200000 before he retires. a LOWER caliber football player plays for 5 years for 300 k and makes 1500000!!!!! are u serious. and then comes the money from the govt for retirement. dont tell me that after players retire from the nfl that they have no income and become broke. its their fault if they used their money before they realized that they may not have used it on things that would later on not mean so much. i feel no sorrow for these guys and i think its complete bs when these guys come out talkin about having money to feed their families meanwhile in their driveway is a ferrari on 22's. im not buying into this crap no matter what people say.

Hall of Famer
    I voted for the players becasue they gave a compromised proposal to the owners. It is all on the owners now if we have an agreement. Also, I have to agree with Upshaw and the players, how are you going to originally propose a smaller piece of the pie when NFL revenues have risen through the roof?
    If you're not a Raider Fan you ain't $H!T!!!

Thumbs down side you on

I JUST WANT TO WATCH FOOTBALL
    Last edited by raider john of RI; 03-30-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Hall of Famer
    having said all this im on the side that will get kc out of a raider uni haha

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information